Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Supergirl #40 Preview / Discussion

Supergirl #40

Source: Craveonline

http://www.craveonline.com/comics/pr...w-supergirl-40

Summary:It’s time for final exams at the Crucible Academy – and they may just spell the death of Supergirl!

Gosh, I'm really gonna miss Maxima.
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Sad to see the run end on #40. I suppose 40 is a pretty big achievement to hit in this day and age for comics. No doubt a relaunch is planned for Supergirl in the near future with a new costume, writer, direction etc.. So lets hope that will earn Kara some new readers.

As for this run, it had it's ups and downs but overall I enjoyed it!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xhatch View Post
    Sad to see the run end on #40. I suppose 40 is a pretty big achievement to hit in this day and age for comics. No doubt a relaunch is planned for Supergirl in the near future with a new costume, writer, direction etc.. So lets hope that will earn Kara some new readers.

As for this run, it had it's ups and downs but overall I enjoyed it!
    I'm bummed to see this as a close-out arc and not an ongoing concept, though it's welcome to come back in the future. Meanwhile I suspect Kara's going to find herself in the "it seems incredibly likely" Jeff Lemire Legion of Super-Heroes. I'd say she should then just bring Maxima, Comet and Tsavo along, but we're already looking at an incredibly crowded cast if this goes down.

I'll miss Lupacchino too. So good!
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Always Rakzo

Really nice conclusion, sad to see this go.

Also, Maxima is Gay. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhatch View Post
    I suppose 40 is a pretty big achievement to hit in this day and age for comics
    It sure is. It's a real nice accomplishment, nothing to be sad about.

Astonishing Member

Welp that's the end folks. Not a bad send off.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Fantastic Member

This was a very good issue. It tied up the arc nicely and even gave some closure to the themes of the entire volume. I'll miss these creators on this character.

But that ending is totally a hook for another story arc right? Either another Supergirl book or Kara appearing somewhere else. Damn cliffhangers!
    Last edited by confusiongrows; 03-18-2015 at 10:04 AM.

I really enjoyed the issue. The dialogue felt a little rough in places, but only because its been so well written lately. The resolution to the Crucible story was enjoyable, though I feel like Maxima should have been the one put in charge; it feels like she got more development than Tsavo, even though he and his family were the focus of that first mission. Or maybe its just me, and I paid more attention to her than I did him.

Speaking of Max...did not see that twist coming. Its an interesting idea, Maxima being gay, and it makes her dirty looks at Comet pretty fun in retrospect, it wasnt him she was glaring at, it was the girls. Nice surprise twist, though honestly...it feels like change for change's sake and I dont know what it really adds to her character. She was already being written as reluctant to be a breed mare for her Empire, making her a lesbian doesnt really seem to do much beyond "last issue shock value".

Shame to see this creative team done with the book so quickly, I havent enjoyed Supergirl this much in years. And whats up with that last scene? Kara's lost her powers? I cant shake the feeling this is about syncing up with the upcoming show somehow, but it really feels like an odd twist to throw out there right before a months long break. Oh well, it was good while it lasted and I look forward to seeing where Kara (and Conner) go after Convergence.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Maxima lesbian? she just said she wasn't attracted to the males on her planet. She was pretty specific on that

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Maxima lesbian? she just said she wasn't attracted to the males on her planet. She was pretty specific on that
    Take it however you want then. But it's pretty clear how it was meant.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Gonna miss supergitl so much i thought mike was a great addition to her cast.

Still maxima is Bi or gay or whatever seriously come on man how will this impact her interaction with superman now. Or maybe i am reading too much into her words she just isn't feeling the men on her planet could change when she sees supes much like pre 52.

So .... The rumors about Maxima were probably about her sexuality....I love this new Maxima for sure.
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Quote Originally Posted by Black Angel View Post
    Gonna miss supergitl so much i thought mike was a great addition to her cast.

Still maxima is Bi or gay or whatever seriously come on man how will this impact her interaction with superman now. Or maybe i am reading too much into her words she just isn't feeling the men on her planet could change when she sees supes much like pre 52.
    Shes a teenager tho. Thats gonna be arkward with superman. Maybe superboy ok

Fantastic Member

Yeah, it's pretty clear Maxima means she's a lesbian. Don't see any other way to interpret it really without you having to stretch a bit.

This is one element which I think the writers had planned from early on and which I would really have liked to see given a bit more exposure in a longer story. Still I'm glad we got it.