Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gerscomics View Post
    Well, she didn't JUST say she wasn't attracted to the men on her home planet. She began by telling Supergirl she "Liked" her, and while both statements taken by themselves aren't very indicative, when she said them together, it's pretty clear.
    And "I'm sorry you had to leave home to be yourself"
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Extraordinary Member

Might just mean she is in to Kryptonians.

Anyway, this book ending is the one part of June that will suck. Really curious to see if the ending is just there to leave the reader in suspense and will be an untold adventure or a tease of a story that will be picked up somewhere else.

Re member

Quote Originally Posted by PRgirl94 View Post
    It's so sad that when an LGBT issue comes up in an unrelated medium, that's almost all that people talk about. That's why I think it's better that these kinds of issues be left out of popular culture.
    It gets talked about because it's still uncommon in the medium and thus becomes a topic. If it were common it wouldn't dominate conversation, so leaving it out of popular culture would encourage conversation rather than limit it. In this case it was a bit understated, enough that there's discussion here about whether the interpretation is even correct.

I even if she did say that she wasn't attracted to men in general, that doesn't necessarily mean that she's attracted to women; she could be asexual. Why doesn't anybody think of that?
    Honestly, it never crossed my mind. And Im certain that anything as uncommon as asexuality will never even be a consideration for DC. When it comes to sexuality, DC is extremely conservative. They'll have gay characters, and point at that and say "representation!" but the only transgender character in a DC comic that I know of is Danny the Street, and Danny's.....a street. Something as rare as asexuality, or something equally "strange" isnt going to find its way into a book about a Super-character.

If this were Image, I'd have begun with the assumption that Maxima's sexuality is vastly different from the norm. Hell, Invincible's brother is half-insectoid, and Monster Girl is a father. But that's not how DC rolls. The furthest they push the envelope is "gay".
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'm fine with Maxima being a lesbian, leaning towards indifferent, though I did think her lines could also be interpreted as her saying someone like Kara is her type be they male or female, even if the creators likely just intended it to mean girls. Though now that I think about it, classic Maxima would've been a good villain for Superman/Wonder Woman...

And even if she did say that she wasn't attracted to men in general, that doesn't necessarily mean that she's attracted to women; she could be asexual. Why doesn't anybody think of that?
    That would take too much imagination. Look what happened with Daryl Dixon on the Walking Dead who was played asexual. All you have to do is type Daryl Dixon into google to see how news, blogs, and infotainment websites handled this a year ago.

Incredible Member

Yeah I don't think this is just Maxima saying she's lesbian. She would've just said she was not attracted to men, period. This is Maxima we're talking about, she doesn't mince words. This is sorta specific.

Also, poor Mike - your relationship with Kara is doomed, kid. Normal man never gets the super-powered woman.

Astonishing Member

It's so sad that when an LGBT issue comes up in an unrelated medium, that's almost all that people talk about. That's why I think it's better that these kinds of issues be left out of popular culture.
    How is this anymore an LGBT issue than Supergirl or a male love interest (such as Captain Comet) is a heterosexual issue?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Finally read it, and I loved it!

It's so sad that this book is ending juuuust as Kara was finally pulling out of the nosedive she'd been in since the beginning of the New 52. I waited for three years to actually like Kara, and then the book goes bye-bye. Oh, well. At least it's almost a given that she'll get another book soon, and hopefully she'll still be on Justice League United. She and Star Girl are developing a good relationship as well.

As for the issue itself? Like I said, THIS is the Kara I've been wanting to read about forever. Not only her, but her supporting cast was great. Especially Maxima. When Kara gets her new book, I hope at least some of these supporting cast members return. Did I mention "Especially Maxima?"

As for the lesbian question? I do believe the writer was going for "Maxima is gay," but it's open-ended enough that another writer could take that line and interpret it practically any way. Time will tell. It certainly won't change how much I love Maxima, regardless.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
    Yeah I don't think this is just Maxima saying she's lesbian. She would've just said she was not attracted to men, period. This is Maxima we're talking about, she doesn't mince words. This is sorta specific.

Also, poor Mike - your relationship with Kara is doomed, kid. Normal man never gets the super-powered woman.
    Give mike a chance man you never know i mean kara is really feeling him, but alas your right she is gonna leave him out of concern for his protection.

Fantastic Member

I'm going to say this again, anyone who is reading this and doesn't get that Maxima is a lesbian is reaching. Why try so hard to ignore the obvious? Yeah it could have been made more explicit and Maxima definitely deserved more development as did everything in this too short arc, but it's pretty damn clear to me that that page in the corridor is about her coming out to Kara. Do LGBT characters have to send up a goddamn flag in order for people to understand it?

Anyhow, Perkins commented on this scene on her instagram: https://instagram.com/p/0c7F_ihln8/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post

how many issues till a villain kills Mike? lol but yeah the tolerance to normal man getting the superpowered women is very low.

well the writer said that Maxima is lesbian, so there is it. the part of not being attracted to males on her planet distracted me, I was trying for one of the first times of my life read only as friendship. excuse me

Not really understanding how anyone can see this as an improvement.

http://houseofalmerac.tumblr.com/pos...lways-improved

Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by confusiongrows View Post
    I'm going to say this again, anyone who is reading this and doesn't get that Maxima is a lesbian is reaching. Why try so hard to ignore the obvious? Yeah it could have been made more explicit and Maxima definitely deserved more development as did everything in this too short arc, but it's pretty damn clear to me that that page in the corridor is about her coming out to Kara. Do LGBT characters have to send up a goddamn flag in order for people to understand it?

Anyhow, Perkins commented on this scene on her instagram: https://instagram.com/p/0c7F_ihln8/
    Well. There it is. I don't even care if she's into girls. I do miss her personality though.
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    well the writer said that Maxima is lesbian, so there is it. the part of not being attracted to males on her planet distracted me, I was trying for one of the first times of my life read only as friendship. excuse me
    That may be what Perkins was pushing for, but she's not the sole creator of the character. Writers say lots of things after their tenure on a book is over.