Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Eyeswithoutaface View Post
    That may be what Perkins was pushing for, but she's not the sole creator of the character. Writers say lots of things after their tenure on a book is over.
    well maybe the character won't be used for years and everyone will forget this development. this is very likely

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by confusiongrows View Post
    I'm going to say this again, anyone who is reading this and doesn't get that Maxima is a lesbian is reaching. Why try so hard to ignore the obvious? Yeah it could have been made more explicit and Maxima definitely deserved more development as did everything in this too short arc, but it's pretty damn clear to me that that page in the corridor is about her coming out to Kara. Do LGBT characters have to send up a goddamn flag in order for people to understand it?

Anyhow, Perkins commented on this scene on her instagram: https://instagram.com/p/0c7F_ihln8/
    You know, I wish more people would believe me when I say something.

Still, is still always better when the actual author confirms it.

That may be what Perkins was pushing for, but she's not the sole creator of the character. Writers say lots of things after their tenure on a book is over.
    I really doubt that Johnson will be against this idea, especially considering how she has already confirmed it.

Hell, I don't think DC will dare to change any of this now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    You know, I wish more people would believe me when I say something.

I really doubt that Johnson will be against this idea, especially considering how she has already confirmed it.

Hell, I don't think DC will dare to change any of this now.
    Mike Johnson's tenure on the book is also over, and he doesn't own Maxima either. Even if he's on the exact same page as Perkins, I'm not a mind-reader of Eddie Berganza, Dan Didio, or some other editor-in-chief at DC.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Mike Johnson's tenure on the book is also over, and he doesn't own Maxima either. Even if he's on the exact same page as Perkins, I'm not a mind-reader of Eddie Berganza, Dan Didio, or some other editor-in-chief at DC.
    There's nothing to say that Maxima may eventually turn out to be bisexual or even pansexual. I could definitely see in the future her meeting Kal for the first time and be strongly attracted to him, especially since he is Kara's cousin. I'm banking on that, especially if/when they decide to fold her back into Superman's rogues gallery. However, It's safe to say at this point, she's Gay or at least predominately lesbian.

Frankly I don't mind the twist. Adds a new dimension to her character I think.

For my money I'd hope she'd be bisexual. The kind of character of whom gender just doesn't matter in the overall presentation of what her desired mate is.

Incredible Member

Maybe Maxima will be hetero for Kal? That can be funny on many levels. I can even see it:
    "Did Batman ever make lesbians turn hetero for him? No? Well, Superman did once. CHECKMATE, Batman fans. Superman is better than Batman." *clicks reply, switches browser tabs and types SUPER-HETEROSEXUALIZATION on a Superman dossier, right under "Power Feats"

Quote Originally Posted by Black Angel View Post
    Give mike a chance man you never know i mean kara is really feeling him, but alas your right she is gonna leave him out of concern for his protection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    how many issues till a villain kills Mike? lol but yeah the tolerance to normal man getting the superpowered women is very low.
    Well, she could use that fantastic kryptonian tech in the fortress of solitude to heal Mike. Well, when someone gets over to fixing the Fortress, that is.
    She's gonna leave him to go running around space with Comet, that's what. Its the whole Steve Trevor thing all over again.
    I don't remember any super-heroine who has a civilian boyfriend these days.

"I drive 'em to lesbianism, he bring's em back.[/George Costanza]

I like superheroes being with other superheroes not with humans. I just dont feel that mike character yet. There are few heroes/human that works for me (ex: Lois lane). I guess I just grew up with being an x-men universe fan since the 90's (is new to dc world since last dec), and those guys hook up with other muties 95% of the time.

But who knows I might start to get warmer to the mike character. I have the feeling he will forgotten when supergirl comes back this fall and being all new all different supergirl.

Re member

Quote Originally Posted by confusiongrows View Post
    I'm going to say this again, anyone who is reading this and doesn't get that Maxima is a lesbian is reaching. Why try so hard to ignore the obvious? Yeah it could have been made more explicit and Maxima definitely deserved more development as did everything in this too short arc, but it's pretty damn clear to me that that page in the corridor is about her coming out to Kara. Do LGBT characters have to send up a goddamn flag in order for people to understand it?

Anyhow, Perkins commented on this scene on her instagram: https://instagram.com/p/0c7F_ihln8/
    It may not be that they're reaching, more that it doesn't have a huge sign pointing to it. One friend coming out to another is often a close, personal thing like it was here rather than something with articles in Bleeding Cool and blurbs on a cover to make sure we don't miss it. I think fans have gotten so used to a side-show carnival approach to everything that loud becomes the norm and something like this takes on an aspect of subtlety. The obvious is missed because in-your-face is the standard.

I appreciate Perkins approach here a lot.

I loved this issue! It was such a fitting end to a Supergirl run, showing her in a positive, heroic and inspiring way! What with Perkin's run and Bedard's Red Lantern it has honestly been a good year! It's a shame that it has come to an end, however I am slightly relieved and hopeful that DC can learn from there mistakes and relaunch Supergirl as a new title ala Batgirl of Burnside!

Reading her adventures across space has been fun, but I want a new take on Kara and her adventures on Earth! Give her a city (Midvale), reoccurring and interesting supporting cast members and flesh out her excellent if underused Villains gallery! Heck even a new yet somehow traditional costume to really emphasise this Kara is different!

Astonishing Member

I think it would have been helpful if they had a more stable writing team on Supergirl, which has had three different writing teams + plus Johnson coming back to do the final arc.

Always Rakzo

WOW! I'm surprised by many of the responses.

It's not going to happen guys, Maxima is going to stay Lesbian for the rest of her history.

Sure, DC can ignore what was stated by the creators if they want to receive a HUGE backlash from the community.

BANNED

DC just stopped a gay marriage from happening, maybe DC learned from mistakes.

Tell me when a character using a bat or superman symbol will be LGBT

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    DC just stopped a gay marriage from happening, maybe DC learned from mistakes.

Tell me when a character using a bat or superman symbol will be LGBT
    Um, Batwoman?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Um, Batwoman?
    she was created, as a new character to be a LGBT. she wasn't a traditional character like tim, jason, barbara. I think it counts, not like it was the catwoman and maxima cases that are long time stablished characters