Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Honestly i disagree i see them changing her to be bi eventually when she meets supes.

It's not going to happen guys, Maxima is going to stay Lesbian for the rest of her history.
    Or Bi. We all know the intent was to show she was a lesbian. But as pointed out earlier in this thread, by Vanguard I believe, the text isn't explicitly specific. The actual text gives room to work with. So could a writer come in and say there very well could be other species' males that she's attracted to? Quite easily. Whether its done that way or not is no skin off my back, I like this version of the character no matter what happens next, just saying there's an alternative option of which doesn't go against the spirit of the character.

It's unfortunate that this is the last issue of Supergirl. Despite the series having some weak spots, I still found it to be an entertaining title every month and hope that Supergirl will get another chance at a solo sometime soon and that the crucible team won't just be forgotten. I also hope to see more of Luppachino's work, been a fan ever since her short but memorable run on Archer & Armstrong.

I wonder how Supergirl's continuity fits together. I somewhat assumed her appearance in Batman/Superman would be set after this arc, but considering the apparent power decrease at the end, that does not seem to be the case. Moreover, if her powers are wonky or weakened after the red sun exposure on the Crucible, she might have a bit in common with the Kandorians now.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by PRgirl94 View Post
    I think you guys are all making the mistake of taking that line out of context and letting this whole LGBT craze cloud your thinking. All Maxima said was that she wasn't attracted to the men on her home planet. That could mean a bunch of things. Like Eyeswithoutaface and Blacksun said, she could just not be attracted to Almeracian men, but be attracted to other kinds of men. And even if she did say that she wasn't attracted to men in general, that doesn't necessarily mean that she's attracted to women; she could be asexual. Why doesn't anybody think of that?

It's so sad that when an LGBT issue comes up in an unrelated medium, that's almost all that people talk about. That's why I think it's better that these kinds of issues be left out of popular culture.
    This remains, without question one of the most hilariously homophobic posts I've ever seen on the Internet. This poster also posted in this blog, insisting that Maxima could not possibly be gay and that all readers who said so were mis-reading the issue and the writers' intentions.

When writer K. Perkins confirmed that the intention on Instagram, this poster immediately declared that confirmation was invalid unless co-writer Mike Johnson also agreed and confirmed Maxima's sexuality to be as scripted and printed. That's right: PRGirl94 or PRGirl1284 or whatever she calls herself flat-out accused K. Perkins of lying because that's a more likely possibility than a character being gay. PRGirl94 then declared that SUPERGIRL #40 doesn't count unless it's referred to in another title.

The desperate goalpost moving was a sight to behold: Maxima's not gay unless the writers confirm it! One did. Then it needs to be both writers because one's not trustworthy for no reason other than not sharing PRGirl's fear of gay people! Also, Maxima isn't gay until another writer outside of SUPERGIRL #40 confirms it! PRGirl will clearly create some new criteria at any point to claim the content of a comic book is not what was printed or what the writer says it is.

And why? Because, according to PRGirl, there is an "LGBTQ craze" and homosexuality should stay invisible, out of sight and unseen because it personally offends her, and she is so determined to live in a world where homosexuality doesn't exist in life or in comic books that rather than be forced to acknowledge its existence, she'll always declare the need for some new hoop to jump through before its existence can be confirmed.

It's homophobia at its most insidious and yet -- utterly hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by ireactions View Post
    This remains, without question one of the most hilariously homophobic posts I've ever seen on the Internet. This poster also posted in this blog, insisting that Maxima could not possibly be gay and that all readers who said so were mis-reading the issue and the writers' intentions.

When writer K. Perkins confirmed that the intention on Instagram, this poster immediately declared that confirmation was invalid unless co-writer Mike Johnson also agreed and confirmed Maxima's sexuality to be as scripted and printed. That's right: PRGirl94 or PRGirl1284 or whatever she calls herself flat-out accused K. Perkins of lying because that's a more likely possibility than a character being gay. PRGirl94 then declared that SUPERGIRL #40 doesn't count unless it's referred to in another title.

The desperate goalpost moving was a sight to behold: Maxima's not gay unless the writers confirm it! One did. Then it needs to be both writers because one's not trustworthy for no reason other than not sharing PRGirl's fear of gay people! Also, Maxima isn't gay until another writer outside of SUPERGIRL #40 confirms it! PRGirl will clearly create some new criteria at any point to claim the content of a comic book is not what was printed or what the writer says it is.

And why? Because, according to PRGirl, there is an "LGBTQ craze" and homosexuality should stay invisible, out of sight and unseen because it personally offends her, and she is so determined to live in a world where homosexuality doesn't exist in life or in comic books that rather than be forced to acknowledge its existence, she'll always declare the need for some new hoop to jump through before its existence can be confirmed.

I agree with you 100% but, man, this is some necromancy you did to this post.

unnamed.jpg

(10characters)

Quote Originally Posted by ireactions View Post

I'm not so sure he's so much homophobic as he's imperceptive and pig-headed - he had made his own head-canon and he then preceded to do whatever it takes to justify that.

He may very well be this... misguided, only when it comes to the character of Maxima. I've seen similar odd jumping through hoops against logic with other characters, considering other issues.

The only thing that bothers me about making Maxima a lesbian is that Superman loses yet another love interest. But now that I think about it she could go from love interest to romantic rival.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    The only thing that bothers me about making Maxima a lesbian is that Superman loses yet another love interest. But now that I think about it she could go from love interest to romantic rival.
    Was Maxima ever a love interest? Always found it hard to call her that.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    She was in the broadest interpretation of the word. Though her interest in Superman was more "biological" than emotional and it was never (to my recollection) reciprocated by Superman.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    She became that in the alternate universe portrayal of Superman: Armageddon 2001, where he ends up with her.

There's a lot more differences to the character of Maxima in the New-52 though - she's younger, for one. Like, probably ten years younger! 0_o So already there, imho, there's a reason why romantic advances from Maxima would be inappropriate.

Interestingly enough, I think she is now also mixed race? She does seem to have different features than the white-on-rice Post-Crisis Maxima. Oh, and lastly - I think Maxima had actually been dead for a fairly long time, in the Pre-Flashpoint Universe, hadn't she?

I think she was killed by Imperiex back in '01, wasn't she?

IMHO, I think this new version is a neat character though, and should be saved even though they're doing Rebirth - I figure she could be Maxima's DAUGHTER! = ) I saw someone suggest that, and I actually think it's a neat idea which would work.

If one wants to to no-prize it, then just say Almeracians have the technology, and because of the power-structure of their society, the need to grow their children to adolescence very quickly, through scientific means.

Could be an interesting new story-element as to who Maxima the Second's Father is then as well, methinks. Perhaps it could be another of DC's more powerful male heroes?

She was in the broadest interpretation of the word. Though her interest in Superman was more "biological" than emotional and it was never (to my recollection) reciprocated by Superman.
    For her to be a love interest there'd have to be a mutual attraction between her and Superman. There never was one.

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    There's a lot more differences to the character of Maxima in the New-52 though - she's younger, for one. Like, probably ten years younger! 0_o So already there, imho, there's a reason why romantic advances from Maxima would be inappropriate.

Interestingly enough, I think she is now also mixed race? She does seem to have different features than the white-on-rice Post-Crisis Maxima. Oh, and lastly - I think Maxima had actually been dead for a fairly long time, in the Pre-Flashpoint Universe, hadn't she?

I think she was killed by Imperiex back in '01, wasn't she?

IMHO, I think this new version is a neat character though, and should be saved even though they're doing Rebirth - I figure she could be Maxima's DAUGHTER! = ) I saw someone suggest that, and I actually think it's a neat idea which would work.

If one wants to to no-prize it, then just say Almeracians have the technology, and because of the power-structure of their society, the need to grow their children to adolescence very quickly, through scientific means.

Could be an interesting new story-element as to who Maxima the Second's Father is then as well, methinks. Perhaps it could be another of DC's more powerful male heroes?
    Everyone got younger, though, so you can just have her be Maxima.