Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

I didn't think it was all that. Quite 'by the numbers', overall.

Nothing (unless I missed something and, considering I didn't think any of the issues in Johns' run was 'all that', that's quite possible) established why Clark would suddenly reveal his secret to Jimmy.

Johns (through Clark) describing the nova-thing as 'thousands of times more powerful than [his] heat vision', yet only 'incinerating everything within a hundred yards'...meh. That's not...uh! Whatever.

The Time-Trapper-esque observer just, yeah, reminded me of the Time Trapper. Nothing more. Nothing, throughout his run, to give any indication as to who or what this person is, other than knowing the secret and having something against Clark.

The 'still doing the Superman-thing while powerless' was, for me, ruined with the 'how does Batman do it' rubbish. We know how Batman would have done it - we've seen it thousands of times and the HWSHE folk have it right: he would've thrown a batarang at 'im.

Anyway, the 'Superman-thing-while-powerless' merely reminded me of him going up against Mammoth back when he (Clark) actually was human, and the Wedding Album sans brick and scraped knuckles. Johns also handled it better back in the Legion-arc.

I was never keen on Johns taking on the writing chores - I've always found him either writing around Superman (Royal Flush Gang), depowering him (Legion-arc), or setting up an/some idea(s) and not following through (New Krypton).

I thought the "How does Batman do it?" was in reference to sneaking off unnoticed, not handling a gunman. Superman clearly had that handled. Trying to get away from the scene unnoticed was something Superman usually handles by just flying away. This time he couldn't, so he had to sneak away to change back to Clark.

That 'works' with the reference to reporters, but he and Jimmy were walking away, with no issues, so, coupled with the visuals and the 'what you did back there, what you risked', it doesn't, to me, work the way Johns may have intended it (and they way you've understood it).

(Besides, it's a rare thing for Batman to do anything in front of a bunch of reporters )

True enough. The scene was a bit awkward, to be sure. I can totally see where you're coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    I thought the "How does Batman do it?" was in reference to sneaking off unnoticed, not handling a gunman. Superman clearly had that handled. Trying to get away from the scene unnoticed was something Superman usually handles by just flying away. This time he couldn't, so he had to sneak away to change back to Clark.
    That's what I thought it meant too. In fact, I never considered it might mean anything else. Of course, the layout and the art and everything doesnt really convey that meaning, but, well, its Johns. I work under the assumption that he'll get it wrong even when he gets it right.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

I thought how he handled that hostage situation was interesting

I just read this this afternoon. The good parts were well done. I thought Jimmy and Superman's back and forth dialogue was good, and the way Superman diffused the hostage situation, convenient as it was as things often are in Superman books, was handled properly by Johns. I had to laugh, though, at the part how Superman explained how he knows how to dress. It's as if he can't just look at what other people are wearing, or check to see what the weather forecast. It reminds me what a socially-impaired smart guy would do. Hey, I'm all for giving Superman creative uses of his powers, and advocate for it every time, but I couldn't help but giggle about how silly his plan for dressing appropriate for the weather works.

The big problem with the story, on the other hand, would be the introduction to this Oz character. I felt like this issue should've focused plainly on Superman and Jimmy, and literally all the foreshadowing for this next villain could've happened in a few preview panels of the next book.

Finally, there were so many Batman references, I thought for a moment Scott Snyder wrote this.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    It reminds me what a socially-impaired smart guy would do. Hey, I'm all for giving Superman creative uses of his powers, and advocate for it every time, but I couldn't help but giggle about how silly his plan for dressing appropriate for the weather works.
    Heh, that's actually the best characterization I have ever seen Johns write for Superman. "Socially impaired smart guy" describes Clark pretty perfectly after all. If nothing else, its better than the less-than-average Everyman Johns normally writes him as.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Heh, that's actually the best characterization I have ever seen Johns write for Superman. "Socially impaired smart guy" describes Clark pretty perfectly after all. If nothing else, its better than the less-than-average Everyman Johns normally writes him as.
    That's what's frustrating about Johns Superman. I think he could be one of the best Superman writers ever. He writes all the characters perfectly (especially Lois and Lex) yet misses the mark often with Supes himself. This issue proves he can do better if he applies himself.