Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Read the issue, actually really good. Certainly the best of his run. I'd even recommend it to Ascended.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

My thoughts:

*loved the Jim/Clark stuff and most especially, Superman facing the mugger and talking him down without using his powers. THAT'S Superman.

*I don't care for the things that I'm guessing will not be addressed now that Johns is gone. The suit (doesn't seem like it's going to be around after Convergence), the identity of the mysterious person, the purpose of the notebook, etc.

*I guess the focus on the DP as a multi-media corporation has gone by the wayside? I left the title when Lobdell took over and only came back when Johns began his run.

My thoughts on Johns' run overall:

I honestly feel that Johns decided at some point to exit the title due to his other commitments, probably two issues in, and decided that he'd pull a Joss Whedon/Serenity by doing two things he'd have built up to with more time: Clark's new power, the tweak to the suit, and Clark revealing his ID to Jim.

I feel this is the case primarily because we haven't had enough time since Morrison's run to get a sense of the strength of the Clark/Jim friendship. Hell, Jim was de-aged in behavior and even appearance over the years following Morrison's run, and here we have Clark doing something that would have been far more resonant had they stayed close over the last few years.

I'd have preferred to have Lois find out the secret and then explore how that plays out with Clark and Diana's relationship, but I don't mind Jim knowing.

Overall, I feel kind of let down by Johns' run. I was sad to see him leave Action years ago, but at least he did some truly memorable and (IMO) classic stories. I don't think this storyline will be as fondly remembered.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Read the issue, actually really good. Certainly the best of his run. I'd even recommend it to Ascended.
    Well, crap. Now I have to check it out. You just cost me four bucks man!

That's fine, I was considering picking it up anyway, just to see what sort of mess Johns leaves for Yang to deal with. And I do like the idea of Jim knowing; if DC runs with that, it could open up some really fun ideas. Plus to see if Im right and Johns writes Clark as being completely, utterly, uselessly "I can only lift fifty pounds" human, despite everything that current continuity has established.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xon-Ur View Post
    My thoughts:

*loved the Jim/Clark stuff and most especially, Superman facing the mugger and talking him down without using his powers. THAT'S Superman.

*I don't care for the things that I'm guessing will not be addressed now that Johns is gone. The suit (doesn't seem like it's going to be around after Convergence), the identity of the mysterious person, the purpose of the notebook, etc.

*I guess the focus on the DP as a multi-media corporation has gone by the wayside? I left the title when Lobdell took over and only came back when Johns began his run.

My thoughts on Johns' run overall:

I honestly feel that Johns decided at some point to exit the title due to his other commitments, probably two issues in, and decided that he'd pull a Joss Whedon/Serenity by doing two things he'd have built up to with more time: Clark's new power, the tweak to the suit, and Clark revealing his ID to Jim.

I feel this is the case primarily because we haven't had enough time since Morrison's run to get a sense of the strength of the Clark/Jim friendship. Hell, Jim was de-aged in behavior and even appearance over the years following Morrison's run, and here we have Clark doing something that would have been far more resonant had they stayed close over the last few years.

I'd have preferred to have Lois find out the secret and then explore how that plays out with Clark and Diana's relationship, but I don't mind Jim knowing.

Overall, I feel kind of let down by Johns' run. I was sad to see him leave Action years ago, but at least he did some truly memorable and (IMO) classic stories. I don't think this storyline will be as fondly remembered.
    Frankly, the de-aging is entirely on Johns (and how. I mean, here he looked like he was 15). Before that, he was merely completely underused.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, crap. Now I have to check it out. You just cost me four bucks man!

That's fine, I was considering picking it up anyway, just to see what sort of mess Johns leaves for Yang to deal with. And I do like the idea of Jim knowing; if DC runs with that, it could open up some really fun ideas. Plus to see if Im right and Johns writes Clark as being completely, utterly, uselessly "I can only lift fifty pounds" human, despite everything that current continuity has established.
    Comics really are expansive. Damn capitalism.
    For what it's worth, I'm more iffy on it. But it is better than what I've read of this arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Comics really are expansive. Damn capitalism.
    For what it's worth, I'm more iffy on it. But it is better than what I've read of this arc.
    Well, that wouldnt take much.

Hey, if Johns wrote a Superman I enjoyed, I'd be the first to admit it, and happy to do so. He just doesnt hit the right chords for me, at all. But he's written stories that I liked well enough before, like Legion of Three Worlds and Brainiac, even though both of those stories completely and utterly missed the central, core themes of the subjects they were about.

It just boggles my mind that the guy who could save Hawkman and make Booster friggin Gold one of DC's best characters cant wrap his head around Superman of all characters. And he writes Diana and Bruce just as poorly. It's just weird as hell. And it makes me mad, because there is no one in upper management who seems to get Supes, so all their decisions backfire on them, except for Pak. Pak is like a gift from the comic gods.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Well, that wouldnt take much.

Hey, if Johns wrote a Superman I enjoyed, I'd be the first to admit it, and happy to do so. He just doesnt hit the right chords for me, at all. But he's written stories that I liked well enough before, like Legion of Three Worlds and Brainiac, even though both of those stories completely and utterly missed the central, core themes of the subjects they were about.

It just boggles my mind that the guy who could save Hawkman and make Booster friggin Gold one of DC's best characters cant wrap his head around Superman of all characters. And he writes Diana and Bruce just as poorly. It's just weird as hell. And it makes me mad, because there is no one in upper management who seems to get Supes, so all their decisions backfire on them, except for Pak. Pak is like a gift from the comic gods.
    Indeed.
    I personnally think very little of Legion of 3 Worlds and Brainiac. As far as I'm concerned, his run on Action was pretty good until the first Legion arc (said arc included), after which it became completely uninteresting.
    But then again, I don't like Johns in general. Don't like his tone, don't like his stories (I mean, even this arc,I didn't even bother finishing it, but let me guess? Ulysses was evil all along?), just don't like his books with some very rare exceptions. So, admitelly, I'm not the best one to talk about the quality of his stuff.
    I suppose he' better at writing second strings, but meh.
    Thank Kirby for Pak, indeed. His next book feature Superman looking angry with blood on the floor and I'm not even worried about the quality of the characterisation. Because I just trust the Pak, man.

Always Rakzo

Ah, I see people were prejudging the issue as usual.

I really enjoyed this issue. Rather than it being a "Superman lives as one of us" kind of stories, it was more of a "This is what it's like to be Superman". There were a lot of personal insights into Superman and why he does what he does. It wasn't a story about how he understands us better by becoming human for a day. It was an insight into what being Superman means to him. The hostage scene was great. Superman talking that guy down and standing in front of a gun without his powers was a great Superman moment. Superman's line "I don't step in front of guns because I'm bullet proof" was great. I really liked Jimmy's reaction to learning the secret too. It felt very genuine, like how any best friend would react to finding out a secret like that. I hope they continue to explore this idea.

Considering the themes of loneliness and isolation Johns seemed to be gravitating towards, this was a surprisingly optimistic issue. I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Indeed.
    I personnally think very little of Legion of 3 Worlds and Brainiac. As far as I'm concerned, his run on Action was pretty good until the first Legion arc (said arc included), after which it became completely uninteresting.
    But then again, I don't like Johns in general. Don't like his tone, don't like his stories (I mean, even this arc,I didn't even bother finishing it, but let me guess? Ulysses was evil all along?), just don't like his books with some very rare exceptions. So, admitelly, I'm not the best one to talk about the quality of his stuff.
    I suppose he' better at writing second strings, but meh.
    Thank Kirby for Pak, indeed. His next book feature Superman looking angry with blood on the floor and I'm not even worried about the quality of the characterisation. Because I just trust the Pak, man.
    If you havent, you really should check out his Shazam. Its like a totally different writer. Its actually quite good, with some really nice themes and some genuinely heart touching moments. If, of course, you can accept a Billy Batson who isnt perfect, you'll probably really enjoy it.

And Im not even worried about Pak. Im actually really looking forward to it. Who cares if there's blood on Superman's hands and he looks pissed off? This is the writer who just gave us Action 40 and the line "Injustice League! Hug the bunnies!"

~ Black Panther.

If you havent, you really should check out his Shazam. Its like a totally different writer. Its actually quite good, with some really nice themes and some genuinely heart touching moments. If, of course, you can accept a Billy Batson who isnt perfect, you'll probably really enjoy it.

And Im not even worried about Pak. Im actually really looking forward to it. Who cares if there's blood on Superman's hands and he looks pissed off? This is the writer who just gave us Action 40 and the line "Injustice League! Hug the bunnies!"
    I have no personal connection to Billy Batson, so I don't care too much wether or not he's perfect. So I will check it out if I have the opportunity.
    You've checked the last Batman/Superman? It's pretty good too.

Very good issue by Johns here. The mugger scene was a definite highlight for me, and it really captured the same sort of thing that Morrison's All Star Superman did about the character. He is not who he is because of his powers.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

This is for the old fans, this was the best "Clark Kent IS Superman" issue since "Who Took the Super out of Superman". I think this run buries John's first run, and that had Gary Frank.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

So, confession...I have been saving up most of the Johns/JRJR run to read in one sitting...but all the positive comments have lead me to read #39 first tonight via digital.

Glad I did. The best single issue of the SUPERMAN title since the New 52 started, and one of the best single issue Superman stories in a long while. This felt like a story that could have easily fit into any era of the character and it works.

Nothing earth shattering, or edgy or innovative. Just a great character study .

I'm convinced that Geoff Johns best Superman stuff has been individual stand alone stories and not the long epics. His one shot stories with Superman tend to get lost in the shuffle.

It also proves that for all the criticism Johns gets for his portrayle of Superman...he CAN indeed write good, even great Superman material,if he applies himself.

Only two minor quibbles...the yellow is sadly gone from the New Belt, and no elaboration on where exactly the "new" (old?) costume came from...but again, very minor things.

This and the latest BATMAN/SUPERMAN and ACTION issues put a huge smile on my face. The Superman comics are in such a good place right now, and with CONVERGENCE bringing back both Post-CRISIS and Pre-CRISIS Supes back for two months...well. it's a great time to be an old school Superman reader/fan.

Looking forward to what happens with our hero beyond the New 52.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 03-19-2015 at 09:00 PM.

BANNED

This was great. 10/10. Like others I was surprised by the tone. A great Clark, a great Superman and a great Jimmy.