View Poll Results: Is it time for a Marvel Monster Renaissance?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • ABSOLUTELY.

27 87.10%
  • No, I don't think we are prepared to handle that much awesome.

4 12.90%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is it time for a Marvel Monster Renaissance?

The "Giant Monster" realm of Marvel Comics has been largely neglected for years, but the success of Pacific Rim and the new Godzilla film makes me wonder if the time has come for a revival of the genre.

The likes of Fin Fang Foom, Goom, Orrgo, and Gigantus thrilled Silver Age readers for years with their sheer spectacle. Is there a place for them in 2014, or is this just a passing fad? Is the modern comic book capable of conveying the awesome drama of a kaiju battle, or do giant monsters only belong on the big screen?

Which of Marvel's giant monsters would you revive, and how?

Astonishing Member

I remember Marvel revisiting their classic monsters a few years ago (and most recently in Journey into Mystery starring Sif).

It would be cool if they had a red ronin ongoing and they could use their classic monsters, and the ones from the godzilla comic as the villians for him

Quote Originally Posted by Orb View Post
    It would be cool if they had a red ronin ongoing and they could use their classic monsters, and the ones from the godzilla comic as the villians for him
    I know who Red Ronin is, but when you said that, for some reason, i started to picture a Voltron style robot piloted by the various human sized marvel monstrs like Morbius and the Living Mummy.

And THEY for the giant robot to fight other giant monsters!

BANNED

The answer to this question should always be YES.

I wouldn't mind seeing a big crossover event focused on reviving the classic Marvel monsters. Kind of a thinly-plotted, Pacific Rim-like, superheroes-vs-giant-monsters event.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing a big crossover event focused on reviving the classic Marvel monsters. Kind of a thinly-plotted, Pacific Rim-like, superheroes-vs-giant-monsters event.
    Have Supaidaman stay in earth-616 and have him starring in a Power Rangers/Super Sentai-esque series.

CHANGE LEOPARDON!

BANNED

Illustrated by James Stokoe or Frank Cho

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orb View Post
    Absolutely. A RED RONIN title could be all kinds of awesome. His pilot could even be his original pilot, Robert Takiguchi, all grown up.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Absolutely. A RED RONIN title could be all kinds of awesome. His pilot could even be his original pilot, Robert Takiguchi, all grown up.

I NEED this so bad.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    I NEED this so bad.
    I even have a basic sketch in my head of how the backstory would go:

In the years after the end of the 1970s Marvel GODZILLA series, Rob returned to Japan with his grandfather, Dr. Takiguchi. As a result of his experiences in the GODZILLA book, and because he was an adolescent, Rob went through a difficult youth, but eventually grew up to be a relatively normal and stable young man, albeit one with an obsession/fixation upon daikaiju.

Sometime before Dr. Takiguchi's death (depicted in some X-MEN related comic a few years ago), he managed to tell Rob a secret about the Red Ronin. What we already know is that Red Ronin is operated by its pilot via a cybernetic helmet (as well as a suite of manual controls). Dr. Takiguchi, however, mysteriously tells Rob that that's just scratching the surface. He says to Rob, "Robert, the Red Ronin is very much a living thing...much like the beasts it was designed to combat. In time, you'll understand."

Flash forward a few years. S.H.I.E.L.D. has given over the Red Ronin to a special United Nations security organization whose function it is to contain the threat of giant monsters. This organization has recruited Rob as the Red Ronin's pilot (nobody knows Ronin's systems and controls better than Rob, after all, now that his grandfather is dead). Red Ronin is deployed successfully against a number of daikaiju threats, but Rob begins to notice something wrong. Although he pilots the Red Ronin, there are times when the robot seems to function independently of him...as if some kind of survival/battle instinct takes over. At first, Rob dismisses it (and perhaps Tony Stark does as well, when he's brought in as an advisor/consultant) as the combat computer acting up, but in time, Rob will discover what his grandfather REALLY meant: Godzilla's brain cells were incorporated into the Red Ronin's central control systems, in effect making Ronin "alive" and an extension of Godzilla.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I'm up for it. They attempted one several years ago, but it didn't seem to have much steam.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Ultimate Member

Doctor Demonicus needs to get in on this action.

Also Mole Man, and / or Deviants!

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Doctor Demonicus needs to get in on this action.

Also Mole Man, and / or Deviants!
    Why was Moomba with Angela when she appeared?
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

The "Giant Monster" realm of Marvel Comics has been largely neglected for years, but the success of Pacific Rim and the new Godzilla film makes me wonder if the time has come for a revival of the genre.

The likes of Fin Fang Foom, Goom, Orrgo, and Gigantus thrilled Silver Age readers for years with their sheer spectacle. Is there a place for them in 2014, or is this just a passing fad? Is the modern comic book capable of conveying the awesome drama of a kaiju battle, or do giant monsters only belong on the big screen?
    Considering I just did an alternate reality version of A-Bomb as a daikaiju in the current Avengers Jam, I think the answer is a resounding "YES!!!"