Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tombo View Post
    All I can think of is a world containing Granny W would not have let Voldemort be created in the first place, she would have had Hogwarts licked into shape.
    Like she prevented Coin or His dad, and whipped the Unseen University into shape?
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    That's kind of a no limits fallacy you're throwing around there.

Overcoming and reversing vampirism on willpower isn't the same as deflecting almost totally unblockable death magic. Granny doesn't, to the best of my recollection, have the feats to suggest that she could just bounce such a thing.

Avada Kedavra was noted as being unstoppable through any form of magical defence. Only the whole ancient blood magic thing of Lily sacrificing herself to save Harry caused it to be reflected. It is by no means easy to reflect or block.

Every time Harry survived it was due to some next level interference or entirely unique situations that saved him. Everyone else ever hit with it just died.

Also, it's not doubts that can cause it to be unsuccessful. Fake Moody specifically said it was raw magical power and hatred that were key to getting it to work. Given Voldemort is essentially a wizard Hitler, I'm not seeing him having issues personally.

Also, Death bringing her back to life would constitute outside interference I think. Either way, it would take more than a ten count so it's kind of a moot point.
    You are right, it would be no limits fallacy if I said there is nothing she couldn't deflect. I limited her ability in my argument to her will power which is the source of her magic. She has demonstrated that should could stop death (or undeath) undeath magic via will alone.

On the other hand you might be edging towards a no limits fallacy response when you say that the death curse is unstoppable by any magical defense. This is not true as you mentioned in the next sentence. It can be stopped by inanimate objects (as long as it is not clothing), Lily's sacrifice, a wand using the same core, voldemort's own horcrux inside Harry, and Fawkes was able to take the curse and live.

Actually the Fawkes example works in favor of Granny's ability to survive the curse. Fawkes was able to survive the curse due to his nature as a phoenix. Likewise granny Weatherwax, due to her nature, cannot die without Death coming to collect her. As you said, he may not be able to enter the arena. This means the only way to really effectively defeat Granny in the arena is to put her down for a ten count.

If Death does come to collect and Granny plays a game for her life, there are two reasons why she would not be down for the ten count. First Death does not obey the laws of time and the even would happen in Death's time. Second the game could easily be high card wins which takes all of 5 seconds to play.

Next, I don't think Voldemort can get the curse off before Granny would win. He needs to perform a particular movement with the wand and think the words of the curse for it to work. Granny has the ability to light things on fire with a stare. She could probably look at Voldemort faster than Voldemort could cast his curse.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

There was also her "find a universe where all the atoms in an object spontaneously decided to move away from all the other ones and then make that universe THIS one" trick.

IIRC Voldemort wasn't that good at wandless casting. When he wanted to get around the dual core thing he just stole his followers' wands.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by Acecool View Post
    It can be stopped by inanimate objects (as long as it is not clothing)
    This is both not a magical defense, and not actually stopping the curse; it's just that something else is hit by it.

Lily's sacrifice,
    In a very specific sequence of events but yes.

a wand using the same core,
    Actually in the case of Priori Incantatem it seems the spell is simply not cast and is overriden by the beam war.

voldemort's own horcrux inside Harry,
    Didn't stop it, the Horcrux just died instead of Harry.

and Fawkes was able to take the curse and live.
    No, he died. Phoenixes revive when they die, that's kind of their thing.
    Last edited by Siriel; 03-17-2015 at 04:18 PM.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I brought up the Magpyr feat mostly as a show of her being able to manipulate her own soul/mind in ways that Harry Potter-verse doesn't come close to approaching, which might let her just walk back into her own body after being hit with an AK, assuming Voldemort can even draw his wand and cast while dealing with a mental attack orders of magnitude beyond anything ever shown in his series.