Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    the answer is obvious. really obvious.
    So, what is the answer if it's so "obvious"? That not enough people would put their $'s where there mouth is?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    So, what is the answer if it's so "obvious"? That not enough people would put their $'s where there mouth is?
    that’s not it. no.

that’s not it. no.
    So, what is the answer if it's so "obvious"?

They're talking about it enough.

One aspect is the difference between a story where Peter Parker is a protagonist and one where he's a supporting cast member.

There's also the difference in creative teams. Defalco's peak was in the 80s with his first run on Spider-Man, and his acclaimed run on Marvel Two in one, while Slott's arguably more popular than ever.

This is also part of Secret Wars, so it's more likely to have an impact on the Marvel U. Spider-Girl's been in its own world for the most part.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    They're talking about it enough.

One aspect is the difference between a story where Peter Parker is a protagonist and one where he's a supporting cast member.

There's also the difference in creative teams. Defalco's peak was in the 80s with his first run on Spider-Man, and his acclaimed run on Marvel Two in one, while Slott's arguably more popular than ever.

This is also part of Secret Wars, so it's more likely to have an impact on the Marvel U. Spider-Girl's been in its own world for the most part.
    yep.

hold on, i need at least ten more characters. there.

yep.

hold on, i need at least ten more characters. there.
    Only problem is, how many people are talking about it . . . enough to support a regular comic book? The voices of all those cranky people on one website don't amount to a hill of beans in the real world.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Defalco's peak was in the 80s with his first run on Spider-Man, and his acclaimed run on Marvel Two in one
    I don't think DeFalco's one of those guys who ever truly lost a step. His second stint on ASM was also very good, especially in the rebuilding process after the Clone Saga. Spider-Girl was a long-runner for a reason, despite it's old-school style, it was consistently well written and conveyed plots and characters well to it's audience.

Probably because, in the grand scheme of things, no one at Marvel cares.

Quote Originally Posted by R.K.Z View Post
    I don't think DeFalco's one of those guys who ever truly lost a step. His second stint on ASM was also very good, especially in the rebuilding process after the Clone Saga. Spider-Girl was a long-runner for a reason, despite it's old-school style, it was consistently well written and conveyed plots and characters well to it's audience.
    Eh. He hasn't necessarily lost a step so much as he's running in a new race. The medium of comics has changed - I would argue it's become more sophisticated in its storytelling and as an art form in general - and for better or for worse, Mr. D has very much adhered to his traditional style of writing. He's kind of like Chris Claremont in that way.

I liked Spider-Girl, but I found that it got kind of boring eventually.

-Pav, who only speaks for himself though...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Eh. He hasn't necessarily lost a step so much as he's running in a new race. The medium of comics has changed - I would argue it's become more sophisticated in its storytelling and as an art form in general - and for better or for worse, Mr. D has very much adhered to his traditional style of writing. He's kind of like Chris Claremont in that way.

I liked Spider-Girl, but I found that it got kind of boring eventually.

-Pav, who only speaks for himself though...
    I think there's a place for both forms of storytelling.

The real problem for me these days is that getting a seven-minute read that constitutes one sixth of a story for $3.99 feels like a mugging. A Claremont story of good quality at least feels like I'm getting some value for my dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I think there's a place for both forms of storytelling.

The real problem for me these days is that getting a seven-minute read that constitutes one sixth of a story for $3.99 feels like a mugging. A Claremont story of good quality at least feels like I'm getting some value for my dollar.
    Oh, I'm with you on that. I hate buying a comic where I'm essentially paying a dollar per minute of reading. One of my favorite things about Si Spurrier's Legacy run about Legion was that it not only took a bit of time to read but that it consistently demanded at least one automatic reread each issue. So I don't think all "new" writers produce comics that go by in a flash. Just gotta know where to look, I suppose.

-Pav, who thinks Slott's Silver Surfer is pretty good in that regard...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

BANNED

There is still a distinct old-fashioned flavor chiefly with the Spider-books all-around, and not just because Stan's writers still tackle the newspaper comics or Conway writing Spiral. Slott works with the classic Marvel method, he's a big advocate of it

Quote Originally Posted by R.K.Z View Post
    There is still a distinct old-fashioned flavor chiefly with the Spider-books all-around, and not just because Stan's writers still tackle the newspaper comics or Conway writing Spiral. Slott works with the classic Marvel method, he's a big advocate of it
    Marvel method is essentially when an artist is given more flexibility with choreography and pacing. Full-scripts can be old-fashioned, and the result of a Marvel style script could still end up being widescreen /cinematic.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

from what i remember the marvel method was developed to allow stan to pump out a ridiculously huge workload, because it freed him up from having to direct the visual narrative as much as might be expected. i’m sure it produced mixed results depending on the skill of the artist and the synchronicity with stan. some brilliance, some confusion.

i agree that there’s a place for more tradtional writing (which i’m guessing is 80s style) in general, but it’s not quite as simple as “just do it old school style”. certain elements will translate well into modern times (that seems to be DC’s rationale with the whole new 52- returning to big ideas and multi-universe craziness of times past) while others just won’t fit anymore. one thing i do find a bit anachronistic about deflaco is his dialogue (it was dated even in the 90s)- his humour makes me smile in that “oh, grandad” kind of way. one thing that really struck me, returning to comics and reading all the spider-verse titles was just how modern the humour is. it goes beyond using updated catch-phrases and language structure- it’s a way of thinking. “who’s the boss” vs “the office”.
    Last edited by boots; 03-18-2015 at 04:43 PM.

Astonishing Member

RYV Peter Parker is not MC2 Peter Parker. Also the child with the red hair looks like Peter whereas the MC2 looks like Mary Jane.