View Poll Results: Who do you want to see Peter date next?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mary Jane

75 51.02%
  • Cindy Moon

11 7.48%
  • Black Cat

16 10.88%
  • Carol Danver

14 9.52%
  • Jessica Drew

6 4.08%
  • Betty Brant

3 2.04%
  • Other (Specify)

22 14.97%
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Usually when a story reaches a point in which the couple lived happily ever after is when the story is reaching the end.
    Spider-Man stories are a ongoing narrative,and if there is no drama in the stories it would make for a boring read,no?
    Maybe in the past. We're seeing the opposite of that a lot more lately. That the concept of entering into a relationship isn't the end of the story. That it doesn't magically solve all problems. That acting as if entering into a relationship isn't a trophy or prize or reward.

Too many people use Moonlighting as their example of the relationship killing that series. We are also about thirty years removed from when that series was on the air.

Some of Brooklyn Nine Nine's best episodes happened after Jake Peralta and Amy Santiago got together at the end of season 2. And the internet was outraged when Fox canceled the show with season 5 before another network picked it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Maybe in the past. We're seeing the opposite of that a lot more lately. That the concept of entering into a relationship isn't the end of the story. That it doesn't magically solve all problems. That acting as if entering into a relationship isn't a trophy or prize or reward.

Too many people use Moonlighting as their example of the relationship killing that series. We are also about thirty years removed from when that series was on the air.

Some of Brooklyn Nine Nine's best episodes happened after Jake Peralta and Amy Santiago got together at the end of season 2. And the internet was outraged when Fox canceled the show with season 5 before another network picked it up.

true. brook99 is also clear about its late 30s early 40s gen x demographic. not that it doesn’t or can’t appeal to millenials

tbh, i’m murky on who ASM and marvel is marketed to. on the surface it does seem to be the same audience
    troo fan or death

jake peralta is also the man child that all other men children bow down to and worship
    troo fan or death

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

It's hard to compare a live-action show like Brooklyn Nine-Nine (as much as I love it) to Spider-Man - because even though it avoided the axe this time, it will eventually end, and thus you can totally have an "endgame"-type relationship in it. Spider-Man, on the other hand, will still be running after we're all dead.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    don’t feed the rooshv troll
    Well, it is the way I feel so I'm allowed to have an opinion. I just feel current 616 Peter's life is so much of a mess most women would not want to touch him, which is sad.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Well, it is the way I feel so I'm allowed to have an opinion. I just feel current 616 Peter's life is so much of a mess most women would not want to touch him, which is sad.
    uh...of course...have an opinion. i’m unclear where you felt that “allowance” was threatened but that’s cool

i take your point that someone who’s life is a mess may be unattractive to some (but there are plenty of successful type a types who are drawn to the messy charmers. opposites can attract, there’s no formula ), i’m just not a fan of incel/pua type chatter
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Either pairing could be interesting dependent upon direction I suppose. As I always say there are no bad ideas just bad executions.
    In the main timeline(though this may have been retconned away) Carolyn actually told Ben in person that she thought he was handsome and that if he wasn't trying to stop her villainous plots she'd actually be willing to date him.... or something to that effect. It's really little more than superficial attraction, but has potential.

In the case of her and Ock, the actual relationship is teacher and student with one of her biggest villain schemes being as simple as resurrecting her teacher. She even went as far as temporarily retiring when her plan succeeded. (she literally gave her tentacles to Otto when he was reborn) But... while that relationship was pretty much entirely non-romantic, and Otto's too much of a gentleman to start a relationship with a student, if she was to express an interest in his hot young body, who knows?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    In a comic that'll never be published!

Nah, she's a perfect fit for Spidey's world: her powers are derived from Lizard formula, she's a scientist, she's got a compelling personality and backstory to bring with her - she's someone who could be Peter's equal in both aspects of their lives (costumes and civilian).

I demand a double-date: Spidey/Komodo and Scarlet Spider/Firestar!!!

-Pav, who really would love to see Initiative characters used...
    That'd work in an alt-U where the Initiative didn't happen maybe. Main-U Melati has lost her powers(and legs) due to infection with SPIN, then gotten locked up in the Phantom Zone prison IIRC.... Yeah... her superhero career didn't go very well. In a TRAINING exercise one of her team mates had to dismember her to keep one of her other team mates from accidentally killing her. Yeah.... that was a bad day. But if you were to do a post-Initiative story you might be able to get it to work if she was to go back to the university and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

Heh, again, I loved how MJ and Pete worked together in the 90s cartoon. It did a good job of showing how a spouse can be helpful in daily life, and didn't focus on negatives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Betty was married to Ned Leeds. She's widowed.
    Didn't he get resurrected somehow?

Jessica is actually blonde herself. She dyes her hair!
    Oh... so her son could have gotten it from his mother, ok then.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Didn't he get resurrected somehow?
    In Clone Conspiracy, yeah. She doesn't know though. And the marriage is still legally over.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Glory Grant is out there somewhere, hopefully still alive.
    Glory's made appearances in Renew Your Vows with a kid of her own

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    In Clone Conspiracy, yeah. She doesn't know though. And the marriage is still legally over.
    Yeesh, still a disaster waiting to happen. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    It's hard to compare a live-action show like Brooklyn Nine-Nine (as much as I love it) to Spider-Man - because even though it avoided the axe this time, it will eventually end, and thus you can totally have an "endgame"-type relationship in it. Spider-Man, on the other hand, will still be running after we're all dead.
    While the nostalgic part of me want to agree with you the logic side disagrees. On several levels it's very hard to see where the world will be in 50-60 years(a rough approximation of fans age and the future average lifespan). Smaller matters are easier to predict. Not only do we have a phasing out of the printed media due to design preferences. We also have the cost of shipping, printing and so on that's adding further incentives. With envirement issues standing as the big gatekeepers on all future decisions.
    After the printed media is gone comics will evolve even more. We have allready seen some experimentation that might point towards witch directions. Comic as it is today is a product of the benefits and also the limitations of the printed comic with it's page number and format.
    Then we will see a merging of different medias, or a blurring of the lines depending on what your viewpoint might be. Movies and TV has struggled with these old limitations too. The division between them is getting harder to support due to home medias becoming more advanced (and comfier). The old model with slots in tv programs and different lenghts depending on comercial breaks are allready on the way out with streaming services and a binging mentatlity.

My personal guess is that comics will evolve into a ongoing experience. You will participate in the world, maybe with decision power or more as an observer. Either it will be a continous experience like big brother that you will log on to and experience when you have the time. Maybe their will be a highlight since last viewing too. Or it will be a stop and play experience that you control at will. Maybe VR, or some 3D effect or something completly different. I'm personally hoping for smell tracks to make their comebacks! =)

Maybe it will happen in 30 years, maybe sooner or later. Marvel will come to the point where they will permantly move their product to this new media and a restart will be either required or simply heavily favored at that point. The big questionmark for me is if Marvel will end their current MU with a planned ending over some years or it will be more of a scrambled ending.

EDIT: Oh Marvel certainly have "endgame" relationships. But with no endpoint in view it certainly screws things up for those stories. In some cases invalidating the "endgames" and forcing a change.
    Last edited by Malachi; 06-24-2018 at 02:59 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    EDIT: Oh Marvel certainly have "endgame" relationships. But with no endpoint in view it certainly screws things up for those stories. In some cases invalidating the "endgames" and forcing a change.
    The thing is, with the devil deal hanging over the franchise even now, so long as there a chance of that being reversed, it matters little what other pairing rises up in all that time, Peter and MJ are still technically endgame as all it takes is for them and the world to remember they're married.

Spider-Man's in a unique position also as most of the long running alternate universes with the character (many of which share the same timelines up to points of divergence) have largely stuck with the endgame pairing of him and MJ, thus informing fans current, old and maybe new that, yes, there is definitely only one suited for Peter that moves the needle.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 06-24-2018 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    The thing is, with the devil deal hanging over the franchise even now, so long as there a chance of that being reversed, it matters little what other pairing rises up in all that time, Peter and MJ are still technically endgame as all it takes is for them and the world to remember they're married.

Spider-Man's in a unique position also as most of the long running alternate universes with the character (many of which share the same timelines up to points of divergence) have largely stuck with the endgame pairing of him and MJ, thus informing fans current, old and maybe new that, yes, there is definitely only one suited for Peter that moves the needle.
    Agree. At the same time their seems to be a "in the meantime lets see if we find or create a character that suits him better". Almost out of curiousity rather then an actuall need to create one. But then again that's the duplicity of Marvel at this subject. They know that if they state "We didn't think the whole MJ thing worked" after 20+ years of marriage they would get a majority "No" from readers. So they say "no to the marriage" and throw MJ out at the same time. Never stating publicly that "we don't think MJ worked". Giving some halfhearted attempts at new romances. At best hoping it will splinter the fanbase enough so eventually people don't care. Carly was ok in the context of "Lets try something new but we know that it's highly unlikely it will work better then MJ did.". It's when MJ doesn't comeback that you start looking at Carly in a different light. "they honestly thought this was a valid replacement in the long run". But mostly it splintered the fansbase further, as Mockingbird did. Witch is not to diminish the fans of Mockingbird. Just that it was designed to break.

After OMD I honetsly thought that it was time for Felicia or maybe even some big story where Gwen comesback. It seems it was mostly about getting rid of MJ and by extension the marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    ....After OMD I honetsly thought that it was time for Felicia or maybe even some big story where Gwen comesback. It seems it was mostly about getting rid of MJ and by extension the marriage.
    These are my thoughts on the subject as well. I had hoped Marvel would use the opportunity to explore Peter's other classic romances or even create a new engaging romatic interest, but instead, we received throwaway characters like Carlie and forgettable storylines. They really dropped the ball IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."