View Poll Results: Who do you want to see Peter date next?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mary Jane

75 51.02%
  • Cindy Moon

11 7.48%
  • Black Cat

16 10.88%
  • Carol Danver

14 9.52%
  • Jessica Drew

6 4.08%
  • Betty Brant

3 2.04%
  • Other (Specify)

22 14.97%
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thecrimson View Post
    Despite being both Spider-characters, Silk is not the same as Jessica Drew.
    Exactly. Which is why I feel that Jessica and Peter would make for an interesting team on par with the Black Cat.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Jessica left the Avengers in part because she wants to find herself. Peter Parker was her inspiration to become a crime fighter in her own right. When I mean alternates to the Black Cat, I was implying about heroines who have feelings for Spider-Man as more than teammates, which are few and far between. Afterall, Dan Slott used Silver Sable and the Black Widow as alternates to the Black Cat for the Ends of the Earth storyline. I didn't meant to say that the heroines in question should be near identical to Felicia's character. Just a heroine who doesn't need to be Spider-Man's sidekick. And none of the heroines I've talked about are sidekick material.
    Then just refer to them as heroines with feelings for Peter (But apparently only Peter, because how dare they ever have feelings for anyone else but Peter), rather than use Black Cat as a point of comparison. Besides, pointing to Silver Sable as an example of the substitute for Black Cat doesn't help your case, and I'm pretty sure that Black Widow was actually intended as the substitute for Agent Venom, rather than to double up on replacing Felicia.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Ugh, god no, that character was dull as dirt. If anything I'm hoping the MCU/ post Secret Wars Universe erases him from her origin.
    Perhaps. He's before my time, but he may be necessary to establish her origins. Otherwise, how would you explain her taking up the name Captain Marvel? Along with Mar-Vell, there are others I would rather see in a Captain Marvel movie such as War Machine and Jessica Drew. Ideally though, the fewer superheroes in her first solo film, the better. With Spider-Man, you run the risk of Carol being overshadowed in her own film.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    it was never a romance, but they did reveal in "Siege" that Carol had a thing for the guy. She also showed up on that Spider-Man Valentine's Day cover if I remember correctly. So there is some precedent.
    Yeah, I never liked that. It seemed as if Brian Reed was trying to force a romance subplot between them, thank god it never worked out. As much as I like Spider-Man, and I understand he's hugely popular, but they don't need to make every female character swoon over him. It's a bit annoying. I always thought of Carol being a bit out of his league. I much prefer their current relationship of big sis/lil brother, kind of like when Carol first showed up as Captain Marvel in The Avenging Spider-Man series.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike82 View Post
    Yeah, I never liked that. It seemed as if Brian Reed was trying to force a romance subplot between them, thank god it never worked out. As much as I like Spider-Man, and I understand he's hugely popular, but they don't need to make every female character swoon over him. It's a bit annoying. I always thought of Carol being a bit out of his league. I much prefer their current relationship of big sis/lil brother, kind of like when Carol first showed up as Captain Marvel in The Avenging Spider-Man series.
    To be fair, very few heroines are interested in either Spider-Man or Peter Parker. And you are right that not every female character should swoon over him. In fact, it rarely happens at all. Peter has never been a chick magnet by any stretch of the imagination. Otherwise, he'd be financially BROKE than he is right now it that was the case. We all know that Peter's not Tony Stark who could afford to have women swoon all over him.

Also, Peter and Carol's relationship is FAR from being the Big Sister and Little brother vibe. That title would have to go to Julia Carpenter while she was Madam Webb who was like a Big Sister watching over him. Carol was far from that role. Also, with her memories gone, I do not think that her feelings for Peter are even there anymore. Personally, I think that Carol Danvers and Jessica Drew are more like sisters than any other. Personally, I do not think that KSD was ever interested in using Spider-Man in any of her stories as we have not seen him make a guest appearance in the current Captain Marvel series, nor having a major role in Avengers Assemble before it got cancelled.

Personally, we it comes to a potential relationship between Spider-Man x Heroine, I would rather see that relationship begin at the close friends level than to be turned into a forced crash and burn relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Then just refer to them as heroines with feelings for Peter (But apparently only Peter, because how dare they ever have feelings for anyone else but Peter), rather than use Black Cat as a point of comparison. Besides, pointing to Silver Sable as an example of the substitute for Black Cat doesn't help your case, and I'm pretty sure that Black Widow was actually intended as the substitute for Agent Venom, rather than to double up on replacing Felicia.
    I used the Black Cat comparison was because she was more or less the only female heroine who was always by Spider-Man's side whenever she makes a guest appearance. Sorry for the Silver Sable substitute for Black Cat as they are nothing alike. Initially, I always felt that Silver had feelings for Spider-Man as more than just allies. One of the rare hints was during the Assassination Plot storyline.

I talked about the Black Widow as she was one of the first heroines to seek out Spider-Man, as well as one of the first female heroines(anti-heroine) to have an interest with as a potential partner. I would think that after the EoE storyline, her faith in Spider-Man might have renewed her interest with working alongside him once again, outside of the Avengers.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 03-19-2015 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Peter has never been a chick magnet by any stretch of the imagination.
    What book are you reading?

Betty is pretty much the only love interest who didn't throw herself at him. Plus you have characters like Liz and Norah.

Yeah, we're told Peter is bad with women, but the evidence says otherwise. (Ok, he's bad at picking up on things and a lot of other relationship stuff, but attracting women . . . never a problem there.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    What book are you reading?

Betty is pretty much the only love interest who didn't throw herself at him. Plus you have characters like Liz and Norah.

Yeah, we're told Peter is bad with women, but the evidence says otherwise. (Ok, he's bad at picking up on things and a lot of other relationship stuff, but attracting women . . . never a problem there.)
    Yeah people seem to confuse attracting women with maintaining long-term relationships with them.

Perhaps. He's before my time, but he may be necessary to establish her origins. Otherwise, how would you explain her taking up the name Captain Marvel?
    The same way they justified Monica Rambeau taking up the name in the 80's. They didn't. (Monica really was the better "Captain" anyways, imo.)

With Spider-Man, you run the risk of Carol being overshadowed in her own film.
    True, but if they slipped him in as a cameo or easter egg I don't think it'd hurt the film in anyway. Howard the Duck certainly didn't overshadow Starlord.

I don't think every woman falls over herself when he enters the room, I remember the Wasp originally finding him creepy and unsettling. Honestly, since she was no longer part of Spidey's married life, I was hoping MJ would pop in as a supporting character in Carol's book. She did appear in the original "Ms. Marvel" series, with the intention of being her friend, although Carol was always too exhausted to hang out with her. (Or MJ was just too annoying! Either way, would have been a fun way to utilize the character.)

Onyx_Arrow

Oh man, a thread where I can say why I like SpiderSilk... too bad I'm way too lazy to write some long winded reason as to why. Short answer is that I feel like they have this incredible potential for stories, as well as potential for great chemistry, a good reason to read both titles, and the way they could help each other with each other's demons is fantastic in my mind. Personally, I would want to see a team up of Thompson and Kalan (from Spider-Man and the X-Men) to write this, but hey, if Slott can do it well, do it man.

Too bad Marvel is probably going to go back to MJ because they want to maximize the potential for the upcoming Spider-Man films, since they do pander to that crowd quite a bit, and most people likely expect MJ or Gwen... despite the fact that they should tackle something different and fresh in my mind, but whatever, I'm not a major comic publisher... I plan to work on Spider-Man and Silk titles in the future, but still...

Also, I'm new to the forums in general, so as Dr. Nick would say: HI EVERYBODY!

Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx_Arrow View Post
    Oh man, a thread where I can say why I like SpiderSilk... too bad I'm way too lazy to write some long winded reason as to why. Short answer is that I feel like they have this incredible potential for stories, as well as potential for great chemistry, a good reason to read both titles, and the way they could help each other with each other's demons is fantastic in my mind. Personally, I would want to see a team up of Thompson and Kalan (from Spider-Man and the X-Men) to write this, but hey, if Slott can do it well, do it man.

Too bad Marvel is probably going to go back to MJ because they want to maximize the potential for the upcoming Spider-Man films, since they do pander to that crowd quite a bit, and most people likely expect MJ or Gwen... despite the fact that they should tackle something different and fresh in my mind, but whatever, I'm not a major comic publisher... I plan to work on Spider-Man and Silk titles in the future, but still...

Also, I'm new to the forums in general, so as Dr. Nick would say: HI EVERYBODY!
    Awesome, another SilkxPeter fan I'm one, too, although for the sake of just being out there I said I'd like to see him with Jill Stacy. Comics are cyclical by nature so it makes some sense Marvel would eventually stick Peter with MJ again because fans are just attached to that pairing. If it were me though, I'd try to at least partially break out of that cycle and actually not put him back with MJ for a very long time, if ever.

If it were me though, I'd try to at least partially break out of that cycle and actually not put him back with MJ for a very long time, if ever.
    It's been seven years. That's the longest time since the book's been published that Peter and MJ haven't had some kind of romantic relationship.

It would honestly take at least 25 years of ignoring MJ to move away from her being the love interest of the Spider-Man books. (And even then it wouldn't feel honest. They want a different main love interest, they have to do a hard reboot.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    It's been seven years. That's the longest time since the book's been published that Peter and MJ haven't had some kind of romantic relationship.

It would honestly take at least 25 years of ignoring MJ to move away from her being the love interest of the Spider-Man books. (And even then it wouldn't feel honest. They want a different main love interest, they have to do a hard reboot.)
    I don't it needs a hard reboot to do that. Even if you did, you know people would still be demanding MJ and Peter.

Incredible Member

[deleted.]
    Last edited by xpyred; 04-22-2017 at 01:12 PM.

BANNED

I don't it needs a hard reboot to do that.
    During Civil War, the One-Above-All essentially told Peter he'd still end up with MJ regardless. She's the certified endgame no matter how many years you drag the Ross and Rachel game out.

Quote Originally Posted by R.K.Z View Post
    During Civil War, the One-Above-All essentially told Peter he'd still end up with MJ regardless. She's the certified endgame no matter how many years you drag the Ross and Rachel game out.
    Well then I take back what I said. I respect that character.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    I think unlike most of Peter's other past lovers, Rachel would put him in his place and make him grow as a man.
    Rachel is quite outspoken. I'm sure he can still make her laugh while she won't baby him and will keep him focused. Not saying she can't be tender too if he really needs a moment.