Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Airboy #1

Worlds and minds explode in a brand-new series!
    When acclaimed comics author JAMES ROBINSON (Starman, Fantastic Four) is hired to write a reboot of the 1940s action hero Airboy, he's reluctant to do yet another Golden Age reboot. Just what the hell has happened to his career-?! His marriage?! His life?! Hey, it's nothing that a drink can't fix.
    It's after one such night of debauchery with artist GREG HINKLE that the project really comes into its own. Quite literally. Because Airboy himself appears to set the two depraved comic book creators on the straight and narrow.
    But is the task too much for our hero?

Full preview here.

Mighty Member

Robinson has been talking about this for a while now, to the point where I already believed it was released. I'm totally down for this.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Looks like classic Robinson. Can't wait.

Looks interesting, I'll give it a try....shame it's only 4 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    When acclaimed comics author JAMES ROBINSON (Starman, Fantastic Four) is hired to write a reboot of the 1940s action hero Airboy, he's reluctant to do yet another Golden Age reboot. Just what the hell has happened to his career-?! His marriage?! His life?! Hey, it's nothing that a drink can't fix.
    It's after one such night of debauchery with artist GREG HINKLE that the project really comes into its own. Quite literally. Because Airboy himself appears to set the two depraved comic book creators on the straight and narrow.

Full preview here.
    Yeah, really interested and one of many Image Comics to be added to the pull list in the coming months.

I've never read any comics like this, but I know there are a few with similar ideas out there. Does anyone know any?
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

All-New Member

Default If this was jukebox jury . . .

I've also been anticipating this mini for a while and this preview is the clincher. I predict a riotous hit!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by rac shade View Post
    Looks interesting, I'll give it a try....shame it's only 4 issues.
    I was under the impression that this would be an ongoing. Only 4 issues would be a shame for an awesome project like this one.
    Who wouldnt want to read an omnibus sized Airboy book? I sure would as long as it's written by Robinson..

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ragcage View Post
    I was under the impression that this would be an ongoing. Only 4 issues would be a shame for an awesome project like this one.
    Who wouldnt want to read an omnibus sized Airboy book? I sure would as long as it's written by Robinson..
    I'd love to read an omnibus sized Airboy book with all a complete run of the Eclipse series and all the spin-offs. Those were great stories. I'm in the minority of probably one that loves James Robinson's stuff...but isn't really a fan of what I'm seeing here. I'd much rather see an Airboy book with Airboy...not an Airboy book with an hallucination of Airboy.

Unrepentant Magog Fan HaroldAllnut's Avatar

I'm definitely willing to give this book a shot. I've been away from the Church of Robinson for awhile, but I'm currently rereading his shared run on Hawkman with Geoff Johns and enjoying that. Been meaning to reread Starman as well. This book looks like Robinson is taking the meta approach; I think it'll be interesting to see what he does with it.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xMatt View Post
    Yeah, really interested and one of many Image Comics to be added to the pull list in the coming months.

I've never read any comics like this, but I know there are a few with similar ideas out there. Does anyone know any?
    Dylan Horrocks' work plays with this sort of story a lot. Hicksville is a seminal work for the medium, but Sam Zabel and the Magic Pen fits the bill a bit more closely. I don't think Sam Zabel... has the same power if you haven't already read Hicksville, though.

More in the vein of how creativity can ebb and flow, I'd recommend Eddie Campbell's Alec work, particularly How to Be an Artist and Fate of the Artist.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post

Full preview here.
    Hilarious. I'm on board for this one. Thank God Previews shipped without the Marvel insert. More attention may be paid to stuff like this while Marvel's missing in action for a week.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRain666 View Post
    I'd love to read an omnibus sized Airboy book with all a complete run of the Eclipse series and all the spin-offs. Those were great stories. I'm in the minority of probably one that loves James Robinson's stuff...but isn't really a fan of what I'm seeing here. I'd much rather see an Airboy book with Airboy...not an Airboy book with an hallucination of Airboy.
    IDW has been reprinting the Tim Truman/Chuck Dixon Airboy series from Eclipse.

Haha! Been there, done that! This looks like a ton of fun and I love James Robinson. I'm glad I pre-ordered this book.