Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Pipeline - Mar 17, 2015

DC Comics may have pulled the controversial "Batgirl" cover, but Augie believes the way in which it happened leaves something to be desired.

Full article here.

That pretty much sums up the Batgirl situation, DC's statement really turned it into something else entirely.

I feel bad for the creative team having done nothing controversial being dragged into this and how DC just threw Rafael Albuquerque under the bus, though.

Spectacular Member

Removing the cover was completely the wrong thing to do. It's a variant cover, if you don't like it don't buy it.

Boricuaex

I honestly do not know why he's objecting to the cover. Art is not necessarily safe. If you want safe comics, fetch yourself some Harvey Comics on eBay.

DC isn't required to be apologetic because certain fans don't know how to act and hold a discussion. Whether they were arguing for it or against it.

Mighty Member

Thoughtful piece! Thank you for sharing your opinion! Here is my take on events:
    DC published a variant cover depicting the Joker violantly beating a helpless Jason Todd 5-6 months back. Nobody said anything about that cover. Since that wasn't a problem, DC probably didn't expect this to be a problem either.
    As for their reaction after the fact, I guess PR folks thought not taking a side will be the path of least resistance?

Also, whether or how offensive that cover is is a matter of opinion... that's why it's controversial
    Last edited by solletaire; 03-17-2015 at 03:28 PM.

Wow. This whole situation just has me baffled and outraged. Baffled because there is absolutely nothing wrong with the cover to begin with and outraged that Albuquerque and DC both buckled and caved to the demands of the haters.

Superior Spider-fan Agent Scarlet's Avatar

This isn't the first cover in this specific run to blatantly reference TKJ. Where was the outrage then? Where were the columns, the locked threads, the blatant support of censorship from a community who claims to love comics?

The selective nature of this proves this isn't about being offended by the subject matter, it's about people who simply don't like the cover using "offended by TKJ" as a shield to justify censorship.

Amazing Member

Augie is right. Rightly or wrongly, with what DC is attempting to accomplish with female characters and creators, the cover was a colossal cluster foul up.

grayson88

`DC and Raf shouldn't have to apologize maybe stop freaking out over a variant he was paying homage to batgirls past ..so what if its not hip a and selfie takng we cant have it what about the fans that dropped the book all together or at least liked the cover? just seems like this whole things been blown out of proportion

Had editorial been in sync this would have never began to be a news item. I don't blame the artist for drawing it and I don't blame the creative team for not wanting it at this time. Simple communication would have squelched this long before the internet could have a field day with it.
    Of course, I dare. I'm Hal Jordan.

BANNED

A few thoughts...

First, full disclosure. Had DC not pulled the cover, I would have ended up owning it, because I generally buy a package that gets me all of DC's freely-ordered variants for a discount.

Also, while I would side on the side of not being a fan of the cover, I'm not all that worked up about it. There are things about it I didn't like, but, well, see the first point.

There are elements to typical discourse about the subject I find a bit unfair. When people complained about the cover, they get told "it's just a variant, why are you so upset?" But then DC cancels it, and now suddenly the other side is making a big noise. But I thought it was just a variant, so why does it matter that it was pulled? Either very few people wanted it, so pulling it isn't a big deal, or a lot of people wanted it, in which case the offending image would have been widely distributed (not that it won't be now anyway).

Regarding its status as a throwback to TKJ, in TKJ, Babs cries while having JUST been shot. And then she cries again when in the hospital, but specifically because she was worried about what the Joker was going to do to her father. The notion that Babs would fall apart when confronted by the Joker in the future was created by other writers, not by anything in TKJ.

Also worth noting that TKJ was a Batman story that Babs happened to be in. It's a different story when it's Batgirl's book.

To me, my problem with the cover lies mainly in the fact that she is crying. If Joker had Jason tied up with a crowbar poised over his head, Jason wouldn't be depicted as crying about it. This, to me, is sexist. If you took the same cover and had Batgirl with an angry, determined look on her face where you can tell she's planning her escape, I don't think we'd have had such an outcry.

Also, frankly, I'm a little tired of TKJ (even if the execution doesn't line up) being drug out. I think a lot of the negative reaction to the cover is that a lot of people are pretty much ready for everybody to move on from that. I'm sure Batgirl fans are.

Lastly, in all fairness, I disagree with Augie's assessment of DC. DC has every right to disagree with the people who disliked the cover. They don't owe anyone an apology unless they genuinely think they did something wrong, which they probably don't. I can live with that.

DC hasn't cared about what the fans think since well before the New 52. They have made that clear, time and again. They ran away some of their best creators, putting editorial over the artists and writers who are the actual creators of their books rewarding the ones who toe the line. Slowly losing sales, except obviously for Batman. Now that their books are in the drink they're forced to try this new idea of 'inclusiveness' and 'diversity' since it seems to be doing so well for Marvel, who keeps garnering good press while DC gets a counter to count the days since their last idiotic corporate decision.

I'm a fan. I didn't care for the new 52. I moved on. I didn't sit there asking that they change back. I respect that they have a vision for their characters that maybe is different from mine, but rather than court me back, or even a new audience DC Comics repeatedly insults and berates its readers, whether loyal or left behind.

You're selling a product. You should try to make the best product possible and sell it to who will buy it. Not insult people who don't agree with you or don't care for your product. Especially when those people just want to go back and get your product. Obviously some people were burned and were never going to come back but if anyone had been on the fence, they were likely put off by the constant bad PR.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    A few thoughts...

First, full disclosure. Had DC not pulled the cover, I would have ended up owning it, because I generally buy a package that gets me all of DC's freely-ordered variants for a discount.

Also, while I would side on the side of not being a fan of the cover, I'm not all that worked up about it. There are things about it I didn't like, but, well, see the first point.

There are elements to typical discourse about the subject I find a bit unfair. When people complained about the cover, they get told "it's just a variant, why are you so upset?" But then DC cancels it, and now suddenly the other side is making a big noise. But I thought it was just a variant, so why does it matter that it was pulled? Either very few people wanted it, so pulling it isn't a big deal, or a lot of people wanted it, in which case the offending image would have been widely distributed (not that it won't be now anyway).

Regarding its status as a throwback to TKJ, in TKJ, Babs cries while having JUST been shot. And then she cries again when in the hospital, but specifically because she was worried about what the Joker was going to do to her father. The notion that Babs would fall apart when confronted by the Joker in the future was created by other writers, not by anything in TKJ.

Also worth noting that TKJ was a Batman story that Babs happened to be in. It's a different story when it's Batgirl's book.

To me, my problem with the cover lies mainly in the fact that she is crying. If Joker had Jason tied up with a crowbar poised over his head, Jason wouldn't be depicted as crying about it. This, to me, is sexist. If you took the same cover and had Batgirl with an angry, determined look on her face where you can tell she's planning her escape, I don't think we'd have had such an outcry.

Also, frankly, I'm a little tired of TKJ (even if the execution doesn't line up) being drug out. I think a lot of the negative reaction to the cover is that a lot of people are pretty much ready for everybody to move on from that. I'm sure Batgirl fans are.

Lastly, in all fairness, I disagree with Augie's assessment of DC. DC has every right to disagree with the people who disliked the cover. They don't owe anyone an apology unless they genuinely think they did something wrong, which they probably don't. I can live with that.
    Well, I don't think I have to say anything now on this thread after that. Not that I won't necessarily stay silent, of course.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Well, I don't think I have to say anything now on this thread after that. Not that I won't necessarily stay silent, of course.
    Credit to DD for the basic concept of asking "why was it no big deal before, but now it is?"