What we do is secret Oskar Von Strange's Avatar

Default Batman 1940's serials

You know, those old black and white series.

So I haven't had any interest in Bats whatsoever since I dropped the new52 Batman early on, but I've always wanted to check out the old serials from the 40's since I love that era. I've heard the 1943 one is pretty racist towards the Japanese, but I really don't mind that since its a product of its time. And then there's the 1949 Batman and Robin serial. My question to you folks is if any you have seen either of the two serials or if you prefer one the best. What are your general feelings. I was planning on getting the 1943 serial, but I think I might get both since they're pretty cheap anyway.
    Currently reading:Creepy, Eerie, The Goddamned, The Goon, Haunted Horror, Hellboy, King Conan, Last Gang in Town, Sherrif of Babylon, Stray Bullets, Usagi Yojimbo, Weird Love

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I've seen both and enjoy both.

I think almost everyone prefers the 1943 one. It changed how Alfred was drawn in the comics.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Not many people know that Batman serial parties were a bit of thing in the early 60's, before the Adam West series ever hit. There was a cult following on college campuses and they also threw parties at the Playboy Club (pre cursor to the Mansion) and cinemas nationwide. So the Adam West show didn't just spring up from a void, alot of people would've immediately recognized it's appeal as a "fresh" and campy spin on the quaint old serials from another era. The serials themselves leveraged awareness of Batman from newspaper daily strips, not the actual monthly comics, the strips being Batman's first significant introduction to a mass audience.

All-New Member

Have them both on DVD and love them, am looking for the Superman Serials as well, yea they are alittle cheap but they are good fun for when they were made and prefer them to the Adam West Batman.

What we do is secret Oskar Von Strange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Not many people know that Batman serial parties were a bit of thing in the early 60's, before the Adam West series ever hit. There was a cult following on college campuses and they also threw parties at the Playboy Club (pre cursor to the Mansion) and cinemas nationwide. So the Adam West show didn't just spring up from a void, alot of people would've immediately recognized it's appeal as a "fresh" and campy spin on the quaint old serials from another era. The serials themselves leveraged awareness of Batman from newspaper daily strips, not the actual monthly comics, the strips being Batman's first significant introduction to a mass audience.
    Did not know that. Interesting.

Well I'm fan b-grade movies so I just ordered both serials off of Amazon. I watched a few chapters on youtube and really digged it.
    Currently reading:Creepy, Eerie, The Goddamned, The Goon, Haunted Horror, Hellboy, King Conan, Last Gang in Town, Sherrif of Babylon, Stray Bullets, Usagi Yojimbo, Weird Love

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I have those on DVD and have enjoyed them both.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

I just started discovering them on Youtube. I see that they are both in the 2-3 hour range, so I'd have to watch them in parts.

Incredible Member

To my recollection they're both about four-something hours, actually. The 1943 film is a real treat and genuinely enjoyable, despite some mean-spirited racial content. It's very cool seeing the cinematic origins of Batman and the Batcave, and all the actors are astonishingly good for what they were trying to pull off. Bruce and Dick have actual chemistry, Alfred's legit funny, and Linda is cute as hell.

1949 does not shine so bright in my opinion, although some claim it is the superior picture. I won't spoil anything, but the plot bores me to tears and none of the actors are particularly memorable or noteworthy. It's a film with absolutely nothing to say. But, once again, just my opinion.

I was surprised to learn that Tito Daka had been canonized to the Bat-mythos in a recent Valentine's special (pretty good story too), and the Wizard is appearing in upcoming issues of Batman/Superman.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Haven't seen the 43 one but the 49 serials made for great Rifftrax material