Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I am impressed by your spreadsheet storm, and its a very good idea regarding insurance issues.

I have two spreadsheets files, one for my regular comics/bande dessinées collection (with tabs for Mills/Moore/Mignola/Miller/whedon/Miscellaneous and francobelge), and another one for my Conan comics collection (two tabs, US and French).
    I usually only note the title and publisher (and print # for Pat Mills stuff). I keep all my invoices for insurance purposes.

My non regular collection (i.e. deluxe/absolute/limited ..) is referenced in these spreadsheets amongst the rest but to the question How-Do-You-Track-Your-Collection?, my response is "with my blog"!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    I have a tab on my spreadsheet for something similar, but I only track shipments that come from the US so I have a rough idea for the future which sellers on amazon are worth avoiding due to long shipping times.

i think i've just had a tiny orgasm)

I suddenly feel like the odd one out because my list/spreadsheet is like:

Very similar to my collecting situation... with d excel sheet minus d RRPs.

Have u posted how your collection looks like already?

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by osakafanz View Post
    Very similar to my collecting situation... with d excel sheet minus d RRPs.

Have u posted how your collection looks like already?
    I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I posted in like october? When I had maybe 50 graphic novels, i'm waiting for some more stuff to get delivered and then I'll post an update.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I posted in like october? When I had maybe 50 graphic novels, i'm waiting for some more stuff to get delivered and then I'll post an update.
    Cool looking forward to your update!

U also accumulated a hugh no of titles in a short span... u also 99% backlog situation like me? Lol

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by osakafanz View Post
    Cool looking forward to your update!

U also accumulated a hugh no of titles in a short span... u also 99% backlog situation like me? Lol
    I tend to wait until I have a good number of comics to read or a full run of a title/volume and then I just marathon them. Like it took me ages to get all of the volumes of New Mutants and then I read all 7 of them in a day.

A big chunk of my backlog atm is X-Men where I'm missing a few key issues or Cosmic where I'm missing some key Inhumans stuff.

I tend to wait until I have a good number of comics to read or a full run of a title/volume and then I just marathon them. Like it took me ages to get all of the volumes of New Mutants and then I read all 7 of them in a day.

A big chunk of my backlog atm is X-Men where I'm missing a few key issues or Cosmic where I'm missing some key Inhumans stuff.
    So u finished them all omg... i feel embarrassed lol!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by canadianaidan64 View Post
    Goodreads. It's pretty easy because I only buy collected editions.
    That's also what I use. As soon as I get a new book, I use the phone app to scan the barcode and add it to the "to-read" pile. It's nice since I get a centralized place with book covers and all

collected editions are all out on shelves, I do have a list of books to buy but once off the list they are not tracked. For single issues I store them in long boxes and then label the top and side of the box. Some boxes have more detail but a lot of just labeled with a writer or character and just remember what is in the box.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I have an Omni/OHC in a spreadsheet and list them alphabetically and then include: 1st/2nd print, MSRP, Paid for Price, Current Market Value
    It does have a running total at the bottom so I do know within a fairly good margin exactly what I've spent on books.
    Although the CMV is a field I've yet to actually begin trying to track cause I'm not sure what the best way to gauge is, Ebay?

I need to look into getting my collection onto my homeowners insurance, this is something a few friends have brought up to me and I've seen some here mention it as well.
    I have a friend who has a very substantial Transformers collection spanning the decades, some in boxes, some AFA graded and his insurance requires him to update them bi-annually via a spreadsheet he keeps on their value. A guess a hardcover/omni collection is done similar by insurance companies that offer that type coverage.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

All-New Member

I have an Excel spreadsheet with everything listed alphabetically by title. It includes company, format, volume number, writer, artist, release date, etc. I can't find a way to carry it around on my phone though. I may check out that Goodreads app mentioned above. Scanning barcodes would be a whole lot easier than manually typing in 700 titles.

I got a little behind in my cataloging, but I mainly use http://www.comicbookdb.com for simplicity.

Spectacular Member

My collection is still small enough to fit on one set of shelves, albeit the shelves are pretty large. I have a strangely strong memory when it comes to my hobbies (comic books, fantasy football, Pokémon games, etc) so I can generally remember the MSRP of a book, how much I paid for it, and if it's still in print. I wonder how much longer I can keep it up as my collection grows though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    Keep track of my collection? Huh. Never thought of that. What I do is I buy every single gn/tpb I can reasonably afford, read 'em and shove 'em on a shelf (or in a stack on a pile in a box) is a somewhat alpha-numeric order. Then when I buy new books and I can't remember if I have it or not I look over the shelves/stacks/piles/boxes. If I don't have it, I buy it. Repeat process.
    Pretty much the same for me, though I have massive Amazon wishlists of things stuff I want to get at some point, to aide my terrible memory.

Only once have I been in a shop, seen a trade paperback and had to really think about whether I already owned it (it was West Coast Avengers: Family Ties and I did). Kind of worrying moment, really.

I have an absolutely massive spreadsheet that includes all of my Marvel superhero comics. It organizes it by issue alphabetically, and it includes the series title, volume, issue #, in what format I own it (digital, issue, or collection; if collection, then which one), and other notes (event tie-in, etc.) It also includes comics I've preordered or plan to get via digital code trading, and is color-coded to that effect (yellow means I preordered it at my LCS, blue means I haven't preordered it yet but it has been solicited, orange is I'm getting it digitally either via trading or just buying it off Comixology, and purple is for books I want to try, but won't commit to preordering yet).

This spreadsheet has 3,445 entries on it I own a lot of Essential titles lol.

I need to expand that for my massive Star Wars collection and slowly-growing Image collection.

There's another tab in this spreadsheet that tells me what each of my boxes and magazine holders contain.

I also have a list on my iPod Touch that is a wishlist. I bring it with me to conventions. For collected editions, I also note the Amazon price for comparison (I'll pay more than Amazon price if at a con, but not +$10-15 more). I won't do that for issues, because I don't buy those online (shipping is too expensive for me; I'd rather just pay "what I'm willing to pay for it" at a con or store).