Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Batgirl" Variant Cover Cancellation Sparks Further Debate Among Comic Pros and Fans

The discussion of the "Batgirl" #41 Joker-themed variant didn't end with DC Comics' decision to not publish the cover.

Full article here.

Extraordinary Member

Comments like this "I don't think the takeaway should be 'torture pr0n is cool.'" is what makes the discussion pretty much impossible to happen with any civility.

Always Rakzo

The only thing I'm going to say is that I love that Ray Dillon cover and I hope DC uses it in the future.

"It's admirable that he was concerned the cover hurt some people's feelings. In the larger scheme, it's tightened the reins of acceptable and empowered the next group of fans that finds what they don't like unacceptable."
    While I sort of agree with this, I think Rafael probably made the decision less over concern of hurt feelings and more to side against the imbeciles that threatened violence.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

Yeah, i'm done with this debate.

It was Rafael Albuquerque's own request that got the cover pulled. Respect the man's decision and move on.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    Yeah, i'm done with this debate.

It was Rafael Albuquerque's own request that got the cover pulled. Respect the man's decision and move on.
    I know you are done, so I will leave this open for the next person, but it was also his decision to create the cover in the first place. Was his decision respected then?

I'm so glad I don't have any social media. It's like a sarlacc pit

The world will be so much more enjoyable when all the offensive colors are destroyed and everything is bathed in non offensive grey's
    Last edited by FriendRoss; 03-17-2015 at 05:33 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    The only thing I'm going to say is that I love that Ray Dillon cover and I hope DC uses it in the future.
    I liked the concept, but I feel like it was awkward because Doomsday (at least pre-New 52, I haven't read any New 52 Superman) wasn't the sort of villain to do that. Now, if it was Bizzaro with a red crayon...
    June:

Age of Ultron vs. Marvel Zombies, Airboy, Alex + Ada, Batman Beyond, Captain Canuck, Copperhead, E Is For Extinction, Four Points, Grimm Fairy Tales, Gunsuit, Inferno, Inhumans: Attilan Rising, Invincible, Long Distance, Martian Manhunter, Old Man Logan, Planet Hulk, Ratman, Secret Wars, Tech Jacket, Teen Titans, Where Monsters Dwell, Ultimate End, Weirdworld, X-Men '92, X-O Manowar: Valiant 25th Anniversary Special, X-O Manowar, X-Tinction Agenda, Years of Future Past

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I know you are done, so I will leave this open for the next person, but it was also his decision to create the cover in the first place. Was his decision respected then?
    Artist's are not obligated to stick with something if they realize it was a poor decision, especially when there's time to change it.

Sorry, you are avoiding the issue and that has nothing to do with what I asked. Why was it okay to not respect his initial decision but say his recent decision should be respected?
    The initial decision was not his alone, the editors and creative team of the actual book should have been included from the start. DC screwed up internally, that's it.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Sorry, you are avoiding the issue and that has nothing to do with what I asked. Why was it okay to not respect his initial decision but say his recent decision should be respected?
    He decision was respected when when DC initially approved it and put it forward in the solicits. If it wasn't respected there would be nothing to talk about here. Why? Couldn't tell ya. Any editor with a brain should have seen this coming at the thumbnail phase.

Honestly, I don't think they expected the hoopla backlash from this.

It wasn't a poor decision to plan the release of the variant cover, and it wasn't a bad decision to pull it.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    The initial decision was not his alone, the editors and creative team of the actual book should have been included from the start. DC screwed up internally, that's it.
    It was his decision to come up with that concept. People objecting to the cover did not respect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    He decision was respected when when DC initially approved it and put it forward in the solicits. If it wasn't respected there would be nothing to talk about here. Why? Couldn't tell ya. Any editor with a brain should have seen this coming at the thumbnail phase.
    We are not talking about DC. If you do not want to answer the question you can just pass

Quote Originally Posted by FriendRoss View Post
    I'm so glad I don't have any social media. It's like a sarlacc pit

The world will be so much more enjoyable when all the offensive colors are destroyed and everything is bathed in non offensive grey's
    That's the direction we seem to be going. Reminds me of the lyrics of Dave Matthew Band's "Grey Street".

"She could change everything about her using colors bold and bright
    But all the colors mix together - to grey"

Mighty Member

At the end of the day, it's a poor decision to have a month of variant covers celebrating a violent psychopath.