All-New Member

Default Jason Aaron Reading Order

I've heard nothing but great things about Wolverine and the X-Men, so I ordered the omnibus. I lucked into Aaron's Wolverine Omnibus for $25, and then for another $25 I got the hardcovers for Schism, Wolverine Goes to Hell, Wolverine vs the X-Men, Goodbye Chinatown and Wolverine's Revenge. I've looked around and haven't found a reading order for Jason Aaron. If I want to read just Aaron's x-books, what's the order? What am I missing?

All-New, All-Different Mighty Roman's Avatar

Hi Bedhead. I don't know the order for the books, but Wolverine VS the X-Men is set first, and Schism is set directly before Wolverine and the X-Men.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bedhead View Post
    I've heard nothing but great things about Wolverine and the X-Men
    Really??? Where did you ask opinions? jasonaaron.com?

I enjoyed it but I think it's greatly hindered by the inclusion of around 10 avx tie in issues. That's 25% of the book purely meant to expand on the AVX event....the final hellfire saga arc is epic however so it brings it back near the end

All-New Member

If anyone was curious, I received this great answer:

by Pete Wisdom
    15 hours ago

Wolverine Omnibus
    Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine
    Wolverine Goes to Hell
    Wolverine vs the X-Men
    Wolverine's Revenge
    Schism
    Goodbye Chinatown
    Back in Japan
    Wolverine and the X-Men Omnibus
    Amazing X-Men: Quest for Nightcrawler (only in TPB)

I think this should work. Goodbye Chinatown and Back in Japan run alongside the beginning of the Wolverine and the X-Men Omnibus. I think ideal would be to read it like this:

Schism
    the actual Goodbye Chinatown story (first three issues from that HC)
    first arc (three issues I think) from Wolverine and the X-Men Omnibus
    rest of Goodbye Chinatown and Back in Japan
    rest of Wolverine and the X-Men Omnibus

There's also two other items of interest:

X-Men: Battle of the Atom - a crossover that Wolverine and the X-Men #36-37 are part of. Those issues are not in the Omnibus (there's probably a text summary in their place). The cross-over is not hugely important for the overall Aaron's story.
    Wolverine: Japan's Most Wanted - it's like another volume of Aaron's Wolverine that happens some time after Back in Japan, co-written with Jason Latour, but I'd guess it's mostly written by Latour with Aaron helping with the plot and general idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedhead View Post
    If anyone was curious, I received this great answer:

by Pete Wisdom
    15 hours ago

Wolverine Omnibus
    Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine
    Wolverine Goes to Hell
    Wolverine vs the X-Men
    Wolverine's Revenge
    Schism
    Goodbye Chinatown
    Back in Japan
    Wolverine and the X-Men Omnibus
    Amazing X-Men: Quest for Nightcrawler (only in TPB)

I think this should work. Goodbye Chinatown and Back in Japan run alongside the beginning of the Wolverine and the X-Men Omnibus. I think ideal would be to read it like this:

Schism
    the actual Goodbye Chinatown story (first three issues from that HC)
    first arc (three issues I think) from Wolverine and the X-Men Omnibus
    rest of Goodbye Chinatown and Back in Japan
    rest of Wolverine and the X-Men Omnibus

There's also two other items of interest:

X-Men: Battle of the Atom - a crossover that Wolverine and the X-Men #36-37 are part of. Those issues are not in the Omnibus (there's probably a text summary in their place). The cross-over is not hugely important for the overall Aaron's story.
    Wolverine: Japan's Most Wanted - it's like another volume of Aaron's Wolverine that happens some time after Back in Japan, co-written with Jason Latour, but I'd guess it's mostly written by Latour with Aaron helping with the plot and general idea.
    Sorry, I'm late. That order looks perfect. You don't have to separate Goodbye Chinatown like that. One doesn't build upon the other, necessarily. Read it the way Mr. Wisdom provided and you'll be fine.

Japan's Most Wanted was a lot of fun. Latour and Aaron did a great job on it. I loved it. heck, I loved all of Aaron's Wolverine, Weapon X, Wolverine and the X-Men, Amazing X-Men. I think it's all great comics. I hope you enjoy it!

I know somebody I won't be taking comic buying advice from.

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    Really??? Where did you ask opinions? jasonaaron.com?
    LOL, I was about to ask the same thing.

All-New Member

It's funny, I read a ton about Wolverine and the X-Men, and other than AvX going on a little long, I thought the consensus was that it's awesome. The Omnibus Collector raves about his stuff and I had only heard positive stuff about his run (though there isn't much enthusiasm for Schism). I kind of like that my expectations are lowered now. I'm solidly "cautiously optimistic".

I loved Wolverine and the X-Men. The AvX arc did go too long, and I didn't care for the circus arc either, but the rest of it was amazing. I'm also happy that I was able to get Nick Bradshaw to sign my copies of Wolverine and the X-Men 30-35 (the Hellfire Saga arc, which is where I jumped in in hardcopy, having digital prior to that).