Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Amazing Spider-Man 16.1

Great issue. Awesome characterization. Art on the first few pages seemed a little off but after picked up nicely! First issue that had me loving Wraith and Spider-man's voice was spot on.

I'll post spoilers in a bit, unless someone else beats me to it but just posting to say BUY THIS ISSUE. Really good stuff. Best issue i've read in a while and the first .1 issue I've ever been in love with

I echo the statements above, having Gerry back to tell this story is a superb move, I really liked the start of Spiral and it's so much like an old school Spidey story.

I posted a review here for anyone who wishes to read. but definitely this is a book worth picking up.

http://themanwhocollectsspiderman.bl...spiral-pt.html

It was a nice set up issue and actually felt like a little Law and Order meets super heroes. However, the Bureau Chief already has feelings of something not quite right. I've read many of Conway's stories, he is setting up wheels inside the story. A great way to put the players in and see why Wantabe becomes the Wraith again and that Spider-Man has sadly gotten himself involved when he didn't need to. I give it a B+. Miles above what Slott has wrote the last year.
    Mooper Films

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tron View Post
    Great issue. Awesome characterization. Art on the first few pages seemed a little off but after picked up nicely! First issue that had me loving Wraith and Spider-man's voice was spot on.

I'll post spoilers in a bit, unless someone else beats me to it but just posting to say BUY THIS ISSUE. Really good stuff. Best issue i've read in a while and the first .1 issue I've ever been in love with
    I couldn't say it's the first .1 issue I've ever enjoyed but it is one of the best I've read. Very solid work from an expert Spidey scribe. Nothing earth-shaking, just a solid, street-level Spidey story. Looking forward to the rest of this arc. Should be a nice, old-school counterpoint to whatever upheavals SW and RYV brings.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I couldn't say it's the first .1 issue I've ever enjoyed but it is one of the best I've read. Very solid work from an expert Spidey scribe. Nothing earth-shaking, just a solid, street-level Spidey story. Looking forward to the rest of this arc. Should be a nice, old-school counterpoint to whatever upheavals SW and RYV brings.
    Exactly! It played so nice, it brought in the street level, 3D characters, a great set up and introduced the early players. It still admitted that Spider-Verse happened but it brought it back down to Earth. Something that has been hugely missing from Spider-Man for the last three years. I mean Otto took down Shadowland using giant mechs and mercenaries. Doesn't really scream "street" with super powers. As I said, you know the new chief has something hidden if he blew off the photos of the judge but yet you could understand the reasoning behind it. Plus, look Spider-Man took out Tombstone and his men easily, when has Spider-Man done that in the last few years? Peter handled the situation like the pro but then the bad guy got away due to blackmail and playing the judicial system. Well done.
    Mooper Films

The story's pretty good. I like how Conway compares Wraith slowly figuring out what lines to cross with Spider-Man's experiences post Spider-Verse/ Superior. Some of the plot points are arguably cliched, but the execution isn't (for example- the timing of a death.)

Not a fan of the art, though. It's passable, but it's really not my cup of tea.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

How many issues is this supposed to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    How many issues is this supposed to be?
    Five, I believe.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Enjoyed it, nice not having Spidey written as some wacky, goofy idiot.

BANNED

Definitely a good read. Peter's a bit more reined in, and the focus on Yuri's drive led to some impactful moments (and yes, I know there's a missile launcher gag just waiting there)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Five, I believe.
    Oh, thank God, I'm really loving this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexy View Post
    Enjoyed it, nice not having Spidey written as some wacky, goofy idiot.
    Agreed, it felt really nice to read this.

Overall, I loved this for many reasons. Ever since The appearance of Yuri Watanabe as the Wraith, I've been really digging her and hope she does get a push and sticks around in the post-Secret Wars Spider corner of things. The fact that this arc is all hers makes me very happy.

Spidey, as you guys said, felt reigned in and competent. I like that Pete showed concern and consoled Yuri without saying "Hey I'm Spidey!" and without goofing his way there as an excuse to talking to her. Simple reasoning for Pete to be there, showed off some advice and wisdom throughout the book.

Always good to see Tombstone and Mr. Negative! That, plus street level stories are a nice change of pace.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I do like the art.

I wish these were the times when there were multiple Spidey books, if Mr. Conway was a regular writer on a separate Spidey book, I wouldn't mind in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockdingo View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority, but I do like the art.
    Me too. Barbieri kicks ass.

I feel like buying this when the trade comes. It feels more like the Wraith guest starring Spiderman but Spidey feels right and I do like those vigilantes that struggle on the tight rope while wheels within wheels spin in the background.

I'm in.

After the multiverse storyline that has been part of the series for the past several months ( as well as the forthcoming multiverse Secret Wars), it felt good to see Spidey get down to basics and deal with old school street level action. I dig the moral ambiguity issues of the story. I'm also appreciate that two Asian characters, Wraith and Mr. Negative, are playing prominent roles here. Dug the art as well. Believe it or not I found it a bit more action packed than the Copiel work from Spider-Verse. I'm in for the long haul.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Astonishing Member

Nice to see there others like me who like the art. When the previews came out, I was the only one. Will be buying the book this week.