Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    To me, it seems like there's a hint of sexism that creeps in whenever someone says something like "oh, well she's the strongest woman on the planet". On the surface, it sounds like a compliment to her power level, but beneath that it already presupposes that there are stronger beings, males of course, (note: PLURAL, not singular) in existence by comparison, the most frequent offender of this being none other than Superman himself. So I think it would be more appropriate to say she's just flat out, one of the strongest beings in existence.
    I think it mostly boils down to a matter of preference.

For some it sounds better to say "She's the strongest woman on the planet!" than "She's the second strongest being on the planet!".

In the case of Superman saying "He's the strongest man in the world!" is redundant as he's widely regarded as the strongest of all, man or woman.

Sure, one could use the gender neutral "She's one of the strongest beings on the planet!" but that's relative enough to take some of the shine away from her as an individual.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    To be fair, Doomsday was severely weakened when Superman did that.
    Sure, he was weakened because Superman beat him up into this state, but still.
    Oh yeah for sure. I only say "ripped him in half" because it's a symbol of how dominate he was in that fight. Like you said he was the one who got Doomsday to the point of being able to be ripped in half in the first place with no help at all.

Hell I'm not even sure yet that it wasn't Doomsday's plan all along. Lex's theory is that Doomsday was fattening himself up in preparation for the main course which was Superman. But I'm not so sure he wasn't fueling himself to be able to do exactly what happened: invading Superman's body.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

What if she already was his equal at one time, but has remained scaled back ever since? I think it shouldn't surprise anyone that Wonder Woman has been one of the most horribly handled characters in comic history. Her power levels have dramatically fluctuated over the years. She's gone from being able to lift like 80 tons, to being slightly above weight lifter class tier.

I mean, when you go from this type of strength:

To something like this:

That is a substantial fall from grace! IMO, I'd like the former version, strength-wise, and nothing close to the latter. Ever. Again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    What if she already was his equal at one time, but has remained scaled back ever since?
    Sometimes things change? Captain Marvel was regarded as Superman's equal in the past, but right now DC is pushing Big Blue as the top dog, just look at the Doomed crossover.

Keep in mind the question was "How Does WW's Current Power Level Stack Up With Superman?".

I prefer Diana and Kal on equal standing. She's more than a match for him given her immense strength plus combat skills, regardless of God Mode or God of War abilities. Zod, Faora, Ultraman and Superwoman should really all be able to give each other and Superman and Wonder Woman a formidable challenge.

I like the Shazams, Maximas, Martian Manhunters, Black Adams, Isises, Supergirls, Powergirls, etc. to be just under those character's power levels, but skilled and strong enough that on any given Sunday they could take them. It makes it more interesting that way storywise.

Thinking about it more, I guess I don't really need a definitive "most powerful" character.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I prefer Diana and Kal on equal standing. She's more than a match for him given her immense strength plus combat skills, regardless of God Mode or God of War abilities. Zod, Faora, Ultraman and Superwoman should really all be able to give each other and Superman and Wonder Woman a formidable challenge.

I like the Shazams, Maximas, Martian Manhunters, Black Adams, Isises, Supergirls, Powergirls, etc. to be just under those character's power levels, but skilled and strong enough that on any given Sunday they could take them. It makes it more interesting that way storywise.

Thinking about it more, I guess I don't really need a definitive "most powerful" character.
    Me either. to me having a clear cut number one limits storytelling options.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I agree that there shouldn't be a most powerful as far as power (cosmic, energy, magic ect) goes. That seems like too fluid a category. But I have no problem with most powerful as in strength (physical application of force) goes. That category still leaves lots of room for conflict. Just because one is physically strong doesn't make them unstoppable. Hulk over at Marvel is billed as "the strongest there is" as was created as such. But you don't always see him stomping EVERYTHING. Does his power put him on a very very high level? Yes you better believe it. But there are work arounds and people who simply use greater sources of power beyond the physical, or skill to beat him.

Also guys of slightly lower levels of power can in fact beat the Hulk in single combat (Wonder-Man, Thor, Hercules, Hyperion, Captain Marvel, Iron Man, the list goes on). There are guys that can do it if they get the chance. Just being Hulk or Superman isn't an auto win. Sucker punches, planing, skill, circumstance, drive, time, strategy ect all play a factor.

In the end it's a story and if the circumstances are right anything can happen because their are always more factors at play than just one. That's how I always rationalize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    Supposedly Superman is the only one who could stop Wonder Woman, which is supposedly why the two of them working together are unstoppable.

When the only man in the world who could stop you is on your side... the world is screwed.
    This is spot on.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

I like to think of SM, WW, Shazam, and Aquaman as the big guns. It doesnt matter who is stronger or faster, because they dont have the same abilities. You could be stronger than Superman and then suddenly two laserbeams come down from space and fry you, Aquaman could bring some Cthulu monster from the bottom of the sea to eat you alive, and so on. So at the end of the day, this feels like a "my dad can beat up your dad". I'm more interested in the actual characters and them having good stories, rather than whether Superman can benchpress more than WW.

Reading SM/WW, i sometimes feel like Soule has SM give her compliments just so that he can appease her fans who constantly feel threatened. "You are the best fights, you are this, you are that". And who can blame him?

"SM cares for her, what a sexist pig. We dont need no help mister!"
    "SM doesnt care for her, what a douche. The world doesnt revolve around you, you know!"

You only tie the characters down if you constantly worry about who comes on top at every piece of action, or dialogue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    I like to think of SM, WW, Shazam, and Aquaman.
    One of these things is not like the others...

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    One of these things is not like the others...
    LMAOOO, one of my favorite statements!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post

Reading SM/WW, i sometimes feel like Soule has SM give her compliments just so that he can appease her fans who constantly feel threatened.
    Mmmm, because WW fans have no reason to feel threatened about how their hero is shown in other books...
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Amazing Member

I've always viewed Superman and WW's relative power levels to be comparable to that of an elite male and female athlete with comparable fitness and musculature. The man has superior strength and speed, the woman has superior reflexes and agility. If you want some numbers behind that, in Olympic weightlifting the men usually lift 25% more weight on average than the women, while in most speed-related Olympic events the men's times are about 10% faster. Extrapolating that, we can assume that Superman is 25% stronger and 10% faster than WW.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I agree that there shouldn't be a most powerful as far as power (cosmic, energy, magic ect) goes. That seems like too fluid a category. But I have no problem with most powerful as in strength (physical application of force) goes. That category still leaves lots of room for conflict. Just because one is physically strong doesn't make them unstoppable. Hulk over at Marvel is billed as "the strongest there is" as was created as such. But you don't always see him stomping EVERYTHING. Does his power put him on a very very high level? Yes you better believe it. But there are work arounds and people who simply use greater sources of power beyond the physical, or skill to beat him.

Also guys of slightly lower levels of power can in fact beat the Hulk in single combat (Wonder-Man, Thor, Hercules, Hyperion, Captain Marvel, Iron Man, the list goes on). There are guys that can do it if they get the chance. Just being Hulk or Superman isn't an auto win. Sucker punches, planing, skill, circumstance, drive, time, strategy ect all play a factor.

In the end it's a story and if the circumstances are right anything can happen because their are always more factors at play than just one. That's how I always rationalize it.
    Uh Thor is not weaker then the Hulk ever, maybe in straight up strength its debatable but when Thor remembers he has super speed and a laundry list of other powers its really a no contest. Superman is much more of an auto win then the Hulk because he can combine that super strength with super fast attacks.