Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

These creepy and campy villains in no way elevate Wonder Woman's status. Even the fight scenes involving these characters are pretty mediocre, not something that makes you say "wow , that's rad". Infancy these villains bring Wonder Woman down to their level.

Raiden, all this sounds like theorycrafting which leads nowhere because we're talking about fictional characters. My opinion is that even the physically weakest person can become a dangerous villain if he/she is written well and if a villain really needs more power to be effective, that's something that can easily be fixed. Capt Cold went from using a cold gun, to having cold powers himself and back to the cold gun in a matter of months. So if they want Giganta to have lasers shooting out of her fingernails, they only need a couple of panels to give them to her.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    That would be the Kara and Faora who got their butts handed to them by Wonder Woman?

Sure but we're speaking on comparable physiology. Wonder Woman can be hurt by things like bullets and sharp objects with enough force. Her and Superman don't have comparable physiology outside of strength and speed (her flying is magic). There's also the idea of Kryptionians growing in power over time the longer they are under a yellow sun. So to put numbers to the distance in power between a male Kryptonian and an Amazon makes little sense in the long run since in about 5 years or so that Kryptonian has jumped leaps and bounds by just sitting around in the sun.

So it seems to make more sense to compare Kara and Faora (Wonder Woman only beat Kara through skill and not power) to Superman if we're comparing the characters in such a way.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
    These creepy and campy villains in no way elevate Wonder Woman's status. Even the fight scenes involving these characters are pretty mediocre, not something that makes you say "wow , that's rad". Infancy these villains bring Wonder Woman down to their level.
    Toyman.
    Prankster.
    Mxyzptlk.
    Oswald Cobblepot.
    Edward Nigma.
    The Mad Hatter.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Who do you think superman fights on regular basis? He has fought against more than 7 kryptonians so far in new 52, helspont, a super kryptonian(he'l). He also destroyed space monster almost size of a moon and wrecked Mongul.

Giganta on the other hand is nothing more than a overgrown human. Psycho is nothing more than a creepy bastard, created to please perverts, less said about rogue amazons the better.
    You could as easily be describing the Joker. Except this guy has mind powers that can make you see whatever he wants.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Simple. you make him fight other people who can bench the planet. Or do stuff of similar amplitude.
    Mongul, Vartox, Daxamites, Darkseid, the Chronovore, Solaris....
    And that's not going into all those villains who either use of his 3 main weaknesses (the biggest number of weakness a hero ever had), or have ways to use his powers against him or make them non issues.
    Mettalo, Kryptonite man, Parasite, telepaths, magicians, Mr Mxyzptlk....
    You're all behaving as if space is not an virtually infinite place where anything can happen and where the imagination of the writer isn't the only limit. All you need to have your villain as strong as Superman is to say so.
    Weird. You mention the value of telepathy but dismiss Psycho. You mention magic, but Circe is off the books.

You can say a villain is as strong as Superman but nobody is going to buy it. Mongul lift the planet? I see no evidence.

Of course Cheetah did own his Kryptonian ass. Before Steve took her down using the lasso. Who owns that? Oh yeah, Wonder Woman.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Weird. You mention the value of telepathy but dismiss Psycho. You mention magic, but Circe is off the books.

You can say a villain is as strong as Superman but nobody is going to buy it. Mongul lift the planet? I see no evidence.

Of course Cheetah did own his Kryptonian ass. Before Steve took her down using the lasso. Who owns that? Oh yeah, Wonder Woman.
    ....I didn't dismiss Dr Psycho. Or Circe for that matter. It appears you are confusing me with someone else.
    That or you're drunk.
    And no evidence of Mongul lifting planets? Maybe not. Does Mongul's first appearance ever, where he beat up Silver Age Superman AND Supergirl at the same time count? Or that Alan Moore story where he beat up Wonder Woman like an annoying fly, face off a furious Superman (again, the Silver Age one) and technically came on on top? Or the fact he casually murders Green Lanterns as if it is no big deal at all? Mongul has plenty of creds as far as "can go toe to toe with Superman" goes.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Extraordinary Member

....I didn't dismiss Dr Psycho. Or Circe for that matter. It appears you are confusing me with someone else.
    That or you're drunk.
    And no evidence of Mongul lifting planets? Maybe not. Does Mongul's first appearance ever, where he beat up Silver Age Superman AND Supergirl at the same time count? Or that Alan Moore story where he beat up Wonder Woman like an annoying fly, face off a furious Superman (again, the Silver Age one) and technically came on on top? Or the fact he casually murders Green Lanterns as if it is no big deal at all? Mongul has plenty of creds as far as "can go toe to toe with Superman" goes.
    Sorry, yes, that was Raiden.

And no, they don't count anymore because they aren't in continuity. But if they were, I would still be saying how can he beat up Superman, a guy who lift planets. And the Earth is not even his maximum lift. He held that for days and shed one bead of sweat. So he actually lift...what? 20 times the mass of the Earth? 50? It's beyond ridiculous.

The point is it's ludicrous to even have Superman as strong as he is, let alone have a plethora of other beings who are as strong or stronger.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    I dont know, he seems to be really powerful in the new52. I dont think he's too far behind Superman.
    SM vs. FL showings aside, Superman lifted the equivalent of the Earth for 5 days straight away from direct sunlight...

It is really hard to get nostalgic fans. They want to see Wonder Woman portrayed as strong as superman and at the same time want Wonder Woman to fight giganta, mouse man, psycho, the mask and random bad amazons.
    That shouldn't be a problem: Superman fights Toyman, Prankster, Intergang, Terra Man, Luthor...

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Sorry, yes, that was Raiden.

And no, they don't count anymore because they aren't in continuity. But if they were, I would still be saying how can he beat up Superman, a guy who lift planets. And the Earth is not even his maximum lift. He held that for days and shed one bead of sweat. So he actually lift...what? 20 times the mass of the Earth? 50? It's beyond ridiculous.

The point is it's ludicrous to even have Superman as strong as he is, let alone have a plethora of other beings who are as strong or stronger.
    And you still haven't explained why.
    Seriously, why is pressing a planet more stupid than pressing, say, a mountain? Or a building? Either way it's beyond impossible.
    We are talking about flying people in tights. Of course this is ridiculous. But you know what I find more ridiculous? Arbitrarily deciding that a certain level of irrealistic strengh is fine, but another certain level is not. That's just weird.
    And yeah, I'm pretty sure that a character beating another count as "proof" than he can beat said other. Even in other continuities. And Mongul had his showing in this continuity as well, and the guy pretty much is a Superman threat even now. As for how.....by being as strong as him, how's that for a how?
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Extraordinary Member

And you still haven't explained why.
    Seriously, why is pressing a planet more stupid than pressing, say, a mountain? Or a building? Either way it's beyond impossible.
    We are talking about flying people in tights. Of course this is ridiculous. But you know what I find more ridiculous? Arbitrarily deciding that a certain level of irrealistic strengh is fine, but another certain level is not. That's just weird.
    And yeah, I'm pretty sure that a character beating another count as "proof" than he can beat said other. Even in other continuities. And Mongul had his showing in this continuity as well, and the guy pretty much is a Superman threat even now. As for how.....by being as strong as him, how's that for a how?
    No, not weird at all.

If you tell me the Enterprise can travel at faster then light velocities by creating a localised space warp, I can buy that.

If you tell it's done by using chocolate eclairs as a power source, willing suspension of disbelief just took a photon torpedo to the head.

In other words, there are things which are obviously physically impossible but the mind is prepared to accept them for story purposes. And then there are things which are just eclair powered Starships.

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    SM vs. FL showings aside, Superman lifted the equivalent of the Earth for 5 days straight away from direct sunlight...
    I swear, that scene was so stupid. Not even Morrison's superman could do that (and morrison writes the golden age version of superman). He had to be supercharged and dying from solar overexposure to do it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    I swear, that scene was so stupid. Not even Morrison's superman could do that (and morrison writes the golden age version of superman). He had to be supercharged and dying from solar overexposure to do it.
    Exactly.

Mass of the planet. Sweet Grud, he'd be able to use one finger to flick Alaska into orbit.

Exactly.

Mass of the planet. Sweet Grud, he'd be able to use one finger to flick Alaska into orbit.
    Much as I love Superman, I just wrote that off as an isolated and goofy incident (sorry Supes fans!) Far more often in his and in other titles, he is shown exerting effort to do far less impressive feats.