Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Is Vibes solo any good?
    I thought it was great, the only thing wrong , was it (and Justice League of America where he was appearing) just sadly ended abruptly.
    Ironically as DC built into another of DC multiverse timeline events.
    An event where Cisco who was just exploring his new vibing alt-earths powers, could have featured prominently. Instead they seem to have just shelved him.
    It makes no sense.

With all the alternate earths/ timelines in play in the comics, it's hard to believe Cisco isn't a part of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    He's what the Timeline is to Booster Gold: He's the hero that no one really knows. It's sad given how much pull that Geoff Johns has at DC that he cannot get them to let Vibe get a second chance again. Especially now with the whole Dark Multiverse and all that.
    Honestly I wish they would actually tell that story.
    Or they have? And I missed it?
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-10-2017 at 12:37 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Vibe isn't being used right now because Blue Beetle is active and has his own book. I know it sounds silly, but DC has this strange habit of only pushing one Latino at a time. With Jaime active, there's no need for Cisco right now, unfortunately. I fully expect Jaime to go into limbo once Sideways/Derek comes around next year.
    What the ?!?

If DC can have various African American theme heroes active in their comics, then the same thing could be said for their Latino heroes.

Astonishing Member

Vibe isn't being used right now because Blue Beetle is active and has his own book. I know it sounds silly, but DC has this strange habit of only pushing one Latino at a time. With Jaime active, there's no need for Cisco right now, unfortunately. I fully expect Jaime to go into limbo once Sideways/Derek comes around next year.
    Jessica Cruz in Green Lanterns?

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    Jessica Cruz in Green Lanterns?
    Fulfills the Latina role in the DCU. That's probably why Fire, Renee Montoya, Aquagirl, and Black Orchid are all in limbo/inactive right now.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    They really ought to change Cynthia's name
    Gypsy definition:

a member of a travelling people traditionally living by itinerant trade and fortune telling.

a nomadic or free-spirited person.

Fits Cynthia, as an inter-dimensional traveller perfectly.

It’s also a popular girls name, a Fleetwood Mac song, a Broadway musical, a movie and the title of a Netflix series.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    I thought it was great, the only thing wrong , was it (and Justice League of America where he was appearing) just sadly ended abruptly.
    Ironically as DC built into another of DC multiverse timeline events.
    An event where Cisco who was just exploring his new vibing alt-earths powers, could have featured prominently. Instead they seem to have just shelved him.
    It makes no sense.

With all the alternate earths/ timelines in play in the comics, it's hard to believe Cisco isn't a part of it?

Honestly I wish they would actually tell that story.
    Or they have? And I missed it?
    Its a shame really, all that wasted potential.

Where the hell is Cisco? I thought he'd be a shoe-in to join the JLA, but instead we got Lobo and Killer Frost

I'd be interested in an ongoing series maybe called VIBE(S)

Have ...Cisco(Vibe) gradually understand and honing his powers, not just vibing where he can "see" other dimension/timeline events, but eventually being able to physically vibrate between them all, becoming an actual breacher able to navigate them at will.

The temptation of being able to constantly jump between them, choose one to live in forever, or to change influence one to his liking, where everything is "perfect", extract things, effect events he does like, doesn't like from one to the other.
    Effect his own time-line/dimension, almost creating his own timeline dimension as he wishes out of everything out there, imagine the power, the potential, and the danger.

Being aware off all the possible alternate realities/timelines, not just good ones but horrible ones as well, like a constant vivid dream he Vibes, I imagine would be quite overwhelming.
    Almost frightening. (as they've hinted on the show)

Even further, I'm talking more crazy ones, like a reality where dinosaurs became the dominant species on Earth. Or Atlantis or the Amazons were the Rulers, where the Nazis won WWII, etc.
    Anything available from the Comics multiple Earths and more.
    It would all be his beautiful but also terrifying playground.
    How does it affect (for better and worse) the "real" timeline, the one he left, the one he entered, the one he created by entering it, etc. And how does it effect him, his own conscious if his "reality" becomes so mutable?

It's all probably too much for the TV show (where he isn't the focus), but it can really play out in a comic.

There's a great theme and visuals that works for the comic character, and they've hinted at it, but dropped it.
    Combined with Cisco's fun TV character and personality at the heart of it, I think it could really work.

And this is why this ^ isn't happening, those wondering why Cisco Ramon isn't getting his own series:
    They just gave the concept to this guy:

During the events of DARK NIGHTS: METAL, high school junior Derek James accidentally fell through a rift into the Dark Matter dimension! Now, as Sideways, he can create rifts in midair to leap through dimensions at will! But with that much power comes great liability—and tears are starting to form in the fabric of the space-time continuum…

I do like the art, and obviously the concept, as it seems it can, and will be explored to it's fullest here. And he's Puerto Rican, which is great!.
    Although it seems they are just replacing Cisco. Or at least Cisco exploring the same powers through him, is going to become a complete redundancy.
    Which is a little frustrating. Also similar look and dork-grunge non-alpha personality. They are just calling him Derek James.

I hate to be cynical , but how about giving your few lead Hispanic* characters an actual hispanic sounding name. Derek James? Really? They couldn't go with Derek Santiago (a spanish equivalent) Is the name change supposed to to make him more safe and palatable for your audience?

In case you didn't realize it was Vibe all he's missing is a big subtle V on his forehead.

*(that aren't a horrible streotype gang-banger (Diablo) or a replacement legacy character (Blue Beetle) half your audience will automatically hate on)
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-07-2017 at 01:58 PM.

Damn and I thought I was the cynical one.

I've been looking to DC to create a strong positive male Latino(and Asian for that mater) to regularly stand along side their Justice League, or (if that's asking to much) as a strong regular lead in any other team.

And still waiting, Since the days of cliche El Dorado joining the Super Friends it' was so bad Hanna Barbera who genuanly wanted to better represent their audience had to invent the own.

DC came up with Vibe Paco Ramone as one of their first attempts, a horrible cliche talking ex gang-banger, they soon killed off.

There was the re-imagined El Diablo Rafael Sandoval, stripped of the supernatural powers, he was interesting, but was so obscure and relegated to his own little world, never crossed over with the main DC, JL or even any street level heroes, so was quickly forgotten.

To be replaced by another horrible cliche tragic gang-banger, Chato Santana who killed his own family, and believe me I tried to like this character, these stereotypes are rooted in reality, and need to be explored, but when that is all you have as your main character representation, seeing him in suicide Squad as their DCEU most prominent Latino gave me mixed emotions.

Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle gave me great hope, but as a Legacy character he comes with the baggage and hate projected at him by the previous characters fan base, who have a right to want see their version promoted, and equally the Jaime fans being completley disrespectful to the previous fan base, it got so painful I couldn't even open the threads.

Another is I'm constantly told Kyle Rayner is a prominent Latino character, yet this is complete BS, The character as per his name Kyle Rayner was designed to be white Irish, his father was added as a one-note after a decade retcon, which is rarely if ever referenced. Rayner didn't grow up around latino culture, language, people, never referenced, embraced or showed any interest, never took any part in it (Tom King tried once but it was so forced it wouldn't stick because it was never a part of the character), even after the fact he never took his father's name, the simplest act to show he embraced or identified with that part. But why should he, he's never identified as that. So what makes Kyle Rayner character latino? Nothing. The fact that there is a small reference on wikipedia? That is not a Latino character.

The rebooted Cisco Ramon and especially his take by Carlos Valdez on the Flash really gave me hope.
    Here is a character who isn't an alpha, he's more the side dorky friend character, but as his powers built, the unique character really came into his own.
    Finally potential with the popularity of the TV show, for a prominent unique male Latino at DC, not cliche, the writers don't have to fumble with forced cliches or references, I don't have to be told he's Latino by clumsy writers, cause it's right there in his name.
    He can find his own place to stand out along DC's champions, or even exploring his own comic.
    Especially if they explored his powers to their fullest!

Oh except , I guess he's called Derek James now.
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-07-2017 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    What the ?!?

If DC can have various White American theme heroes active in their comics, then the same thing could be said for all other heroes.
    Fixed it for you
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Damn and I thought I was the cynical one.
    You call it cynicism, I call it realism. I just noticed a pattern for the past decade or so since DC started introducing more Latinos. The same is true for the females (Latinas). Now that Jessica is being pushed, where's Fire, Black Orchid, Renee Montoya and Aquagirl?

Jaime is going back into limbo in March and Derek is taking his place, like Cisco did during the New 52.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

In the continued absence of Cisco Ramon Vibe in the DCU, I guess we can talk about TV Vibe , as wonderfully played by Carlos Valdez.

Latest Kevin Smith directed. episode Cisco with the retirement of Gypsy's dad (Danny Trejo) who was a sort of protector or watchdog of space-time rifts and anyone using them, who has passed the mantle to Cisco whose been promoted to full-fledged Breacher.

What that means for the character and the rest of the season remains to be seen?
    Hopefully it involves a big dimension breaching adventure.

It would be nice however to see some of this play out in the comics too!

Jaime is going back into limbo in March and Derek is taking his place, like Cisco did during the New 52.
    LOL I don't know that Cisco Ramon ever took Jaime Reyes' place. They cover very deferent ground.
    If anything it does look like Derek James (with a very not latino sounding name) has somehow filled both their niche and taken both their place. LOL
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-25-2018 at 04:03 PM.

It opens a bunch of new doors for Cisco but it might come at a cost. He would have to relocate to Earth 19 and not be a regular on Team Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    It opens a bunch of new doors for Cisco
    "Opens a bunch of new doors for Cisco"?
    Yeah it would, literary! alt-dimension doors.
    I'd love to see it explored, for a few episodes, or for a bit in the comics.
    Again DC makes so much of their alt-earth multiverse, yet their breacher character, the guy whose milieux and actual power is to explore rifts through space-time-dimensions, is always absent.
    It makes no sense.
    With all the alternate earths/ timelines in play, how is Cisco not a part of that?

Again he can be opening rifts to exploring any alt-realities through space-time; where dinosaurs survived evolved along humans, a universe where DC evolved in all pulp noir setting, pretty much any genera setting, western, steampunk, fantasy where magic evolved instead of science, where the Wayne's sent their first born to Krypton before being killed . LOL! The point is it can be anything.
    And while the drama lends itself to anything, part of the pathos of the character, is the temptation to change or seek out a "perfect" reality, and all the dangers that implies.

I haven't read the new Sideways yet (or even opened the thread, makes me a bit anxious ), as I am not sure how much it appropriates from or completely overlaps with Cisco's concept, but might be why they've forsaken Cisco in the comics, which would kind of suck.
    Or if it boroughs more from Blue Beetle Jaime?

He would have to relocate to Earth 19 and not be a regular on Team Flash.
    Not necessarily, maybe to set up the premise he'd be introduced to whatever Breacher HQ is, if there is such a place , but the nature of the power means he can be localized anywhere.
    And what his role would be is undefined, Breacher and Gypsy are sort of dimension rift border guards.

A fun aspect about Cisco is the "Vibe" moniker has been played in a few ways/abilities, touching objects or focusing on them, someone, he can vibe info about them. Trace their movements, sometimes empathically sense them, motives or even projecting to their pov, wherever they are.
    Gypsy or someone, can bring him objects, belongings of fugitives who have breached and then they have to pursue to an alt earth/time-line.
    The other is the actual vibrating opening doorways / rifts to other dimensions, possible timelines, alt-earths, or just straight teleporting.
    And he can still use his powers like a vibrational sonic pulse weapon like the classic Vibe.
    It's the combination which somewhat makes Cisco unique.
    There is great thematic, and visual material at play with the character and concept, plus the fun quirky personality Carlos Valdez has brought to the character, would be great to see applied in the books.

Honestly where the last run in JLA/Gypsy-Vibe ended, where Gypsy is being pulled or lost across several alt-earths and Cisco has to pursue her, add some of the quirks and personality of Cisco's character from the show. and it already sets up for one of the greatest adventure, (and romance) for a comic series.
    Would still love to see them explore it.
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-25-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Separated or together?

4 X 20 Gypsy - Vibe episode:

So that went exactly opposite, with Breacher passing the mantle to Vibe, I thought we might get at least an episode of Cisco taking on the job from Breacher, and seeing a bit what he could do in that context.
    And where the further clash and development with Gypsy-Vibe would evolve.
    Instead the episode was used to end that story line, and end that relationship.
    Oh well LL

How that bodes for the comics portrayal? I guess both these characters are still non-entities in the NewU.?

On a side note, the Cecile and Harry relationship (two characters somewhat spinning their wheels) was a surprisingly nice development.

It opens a bunch of new doors for Cisco but it might come at a cost. He would have to relocate to Earth 19 and not be a regular on Team Flash.
    So that is exactly how they played it, and he wasn't willing to relocate, at least not if their version of Gypsy wasn't looking for the same.

Which is just weird to me, since it's their power which allow them to be together. And they played it like it's the opposite?
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-08-2018 at 01:30 PM.