Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Chrononaughts #1

Just grabbed this during lunch break. Anyone else as excited as I am about this debut? The Back to the Future variant for #4 is just awesome and I have a really good feeling this comic is going to be big. Should have bought more than one to sell down the road. Descender was absolutely amazing debut two weeks ago and now this?

I'm not as into Murphy's art as everybody else though I do like it. I thought the wake was good but nothing specia . Reread a bit of it last night and enjoyed it quite a bit.

I just read it and dug it. Not as big on the art, but the story seems cool. Cooler than the last few Millar minis, at least.
    spoilers:
    I laughed my ass off at the "Obviously" and then cutting to a bunch of nuns flipping their ****.
    end of spoilers

All-New Member

How did Reilly end up in 1504, if he was targeting to go after Quinn in 1986. Really confused did Reilly get hit by a wave when launching in his suit as well?

Quote Originally Posted by aerialviper View Post
    How did Reilly end up in 1504, if he was targeting to go after Quinn in 1986. Really confused did Reilly get hit by a wave when launching in his suit as well?
    I was confused by that, too. I reread it and realized they said "his line went dead at 1986." But that isn't where he landed, just where he had gotten to so far, going backwards in time when he lost contact, but he kept going past that and eventually stopped in 1504. Millar could've written that a bit more clearly.

Excited to read this. Not huge on Millar, but I do love Murphy on art.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    I was confused by that, too. I reread it and realized they said "his line went dead at 1986." But that isn't where he landed, just where he had gotten to so far, going backwards in time when he lost contact, but he kept going past that and eventually stopped in 1504. Millar could've written that a bit more clearly.
    Thanks that clears it up I'll make sure to check it out again later tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    Same here, my friend.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman55 View Post
    Just grabbed this during lunch break. Anyone else as excited as I am about this debut? The Back to the Future variant for #4 is just awesome and I have a really good feeling this comic is going to be big. Should have bought more than one to sell down the road. Descender was absolutely amazing debut two weeks ago and now this?

I'm not as into Murphy's art as everybody else though I do like it. I thought the wake was good but nothing specia . Reread a bit of it last night and enjoyed it quite a bit.
    Is there a picture of the BTTF variant anywhere?

Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Fan View Post
    Is there a picture of the BTTF variant anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    I got this for the Murphy art and the inevitable two-page spread. It did not disappoint. That being said, Millar's story is actually pretty good. Never been a fan of much of his work (save Marvel Knight's Spider-Man). I enjoy the dimension hopping better in FBP but this got me excited enough to stay on another issue.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

I really enjoyed this book and I bought it with no expectation at all. Millar is 50/50 for me. I loved the conversation between Reilly and Corbin ".....every co-ed from here to timbuktu"...."you realize this is all being recorded and broadcast around the world, right?" "obviously"

just the whole finger guns to the camera made me laugh out loud. I will definitely pick this up again.

I thought this was decent, if a bit predictable -- in the sense that what I expected to be good was good, and what I expected to be weak links were weak links.

The art here is amazing and I probably would have been more blown away had I not seen some of the most impressive pages long ago in teaser previews for the book. Hollingsworth's colors suit Murphy incredibly well and really take his art to a breathtaking level. To a big extent this entire project feels like "let's have Sean Murphy draw a lot of cool stuff throughout history" and on that level it does not disappoint. Artwork is no question the strong part of this comic.

The writing does not have any real glaring flaws but it's not that impressive. My first worry with this series was that it would not be very intelligent or insightful, and again would basically be an excuse to have Murphy draw a lot of cool crap. The book is not really dumb, but it doesn't really make you think that much. Time travel is a really well-worn plot device in fiction, and really the only unique thing Millar is bringing to the table story-wise is the idea that the world can watch Quinn and Reilly's adventures as they happen. I don't really find that twist too fascinating or appealing, and just from the feel of this first issue and the fact that this whole thing is four issues, I doubt we are going to get some insightful critique on the media, the nature of celebrity, etc. The live aspect does help make Quinn and Reilly feel more like rock stars, which brings me to my second worry.

My other concern with this series was that the characters would be kind of forgettable. They definitely exude a real "dudebro" quality, to such an extent that it seems intentional and like a real hook of the story. The "friends lost in time trying to find each other" is another well-worn plot device, and while I'm not completely turned off by the dudebro spin, I don't really get much out of it either. Quinn is kind of nondescript aside from missing his ex-girlfriend (another cliche), but at least he's kind of realistic. Reilly is a complete caricature and it feels very hard to take him seriously as a doctor given how ridiculously over the top and immature he acts. I get that the point is that these scientists are not your typical scientists, and are meant to be "rock star scientists," but again I don't really find that very interesting or appealing.

The issue feels like it moves very fast to get to the point where Quinn and Reilly actually time travel, which hurts a bit of the drama and tension and makes the time jump feel like less of a big deal, but considering they only have four issues I can get that.

I think I'll definitely buy the next issue to see where things go from here, and Murphy's art is really freaking good. But IMO this is another Mark Millar comic that is built on a high concept and not much else, and even the concept is not that unique (although it is fun to watch unfold).

On a semi-related note, I get that this is a Mark Millar comic and he is going to want to advertise his work, but I found the promo pages at the end really obnoxious. I really dislike the way Millar presents himself and it makes it hard to want to support his work at all. Some humility would be nice.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Finally I had a chance to read my copy. I can see why this was picked up by Holywood already. It definetly feels like a film.

Art is stunning and I will buy second issue.

I treat this series like Nameless (I will buy issue 3 ) - step by step, or rather issue by issue.

The art is outstanding , the little scenes with the family,nuns and the hold up genius.

Amazing Member

Is this a min series or an ongoing series?