Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    I think a guy who has been living among a Third World Tribe (as in, actually living with them) for about 3-4 years knows a lot more about the "crummy side of life" than a guy who worked as a construction worker in the US. I mean, we are talking about people who don't necessarily have the privileges we take for granted, like free water, or electricity.
    And a man who's had an entire universe blown up is much better than a man who's had one planet blown up.

Kind of redundant, and doesn't have much of a point. I dont think people are getting the message here, It was losing his good job for whats right, and witnessing crime (with his weapons) first hand during that time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    You know that the folk hero was a railroad construction worker, dont you?
    Yeah, I do. What does that have to do with anything? Should Robin go live as a bird for a few years before he becomes the superhero Robin?

Also, if you've not read the old pre-52 Steel comics, John Henry Irons goes back to being wealthy after becoming Steel.
    I've read all of the Steel comics that there are, yeah. I have zero interest in Steel becoming wealthy. Being wealthy and being involved in science are not necessarily linked, trust me on this.

I fully see Steel living in a traditionally under served community, for a lot of reasons. I am in no way advocating for 'wealthy steel doing esoteric, inapplicable work in his lab'. I don't want to see him researching number theory or trying to solve the Millenium problems. I'm saying I think he should be involved in doing scientific work, because it is through his scientific work that he can make the greatest impact, and that - making an impact in the lives of people - is where his interest lies.

Astonishing Member

I dont think people are getting the message here,
    Speaking frankly, I think it's you who isn't getting it.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

And a man who's had an entire universe blown up is much better than a man who's had one planet blown up.

Kind of redundant, and doesn't have much of a point. I dont think people are getting the message here, It was losing his good job for whats right, and witnessing crime (with his weapons) first hand during that time.
    Well, yes, asking him to be a construction worker once more is somewhat redundant when the character already experienced losing his good job for what's right (leaving his work in a to secret lab as a protest to Superman being tortured), and leaving in precarious life conditions (living among a thrid world tribe for years, with the added bonus of doing so free of any kind of angst and working to improve their conditions of life). Kinda like asking for him to lose a planet after already losing an entire universe, if you ask me.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    What does that have to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Well, yes, asking him to be a construction worker once more is somewhat redundant when the character already experienced losing his good job for what's right (leaving his work in a to secret lab as a protest to Superman being tortured), and leaving in precarious life conditions (living among a thrid world tribe for years, with the added bonus of doing so free of any kind of angst and working to improve their conditions of life). Kinda like asking for him to lose a planet after already losing an entire universe, if you ask me.
    Well Im not saying he should go back or anything, the changes are already done. Unfortunetly I dont have the powers to control reality to change it (Wish I did). I get your point with new52. Still, there is a difference in culture.

I still prefer the modern street-wise pre-52 Steel.

Astonishing Member

So nothing, then? Coolio.

It's okay to want something just because it is what used to be, but from a writing/storytelling perspective there is no utility in putting things back the way you want them. Strictly nostalgia.

BANNED

Well you did ask me whats the point, of the John Henry comparison.

His name is JOHN HENRY IRONS, a superhero guy with a big hammer who was once a construction worker while having a moral experience.

Modeled after a guy named JOHN HENRY who used a giant hammer and was a construction worker who died overcoming his experience.

Theres something different when you have a hard working base line physical guy. Its different when compared with a guy who spends most his time in a lab, its different characterizations. Its different, the direct analogy is lost.

Cypher, maybe you mentioned it earlier and I missed it, but you are aware that John only went into construction because he was hiding from Amertek (am I spelling that correctly?) right? He didnt go into construction with the mindset of "Im going to help people by building houses and office buildings!" he went into construction because he was on the run and construction jobs don't run detailed background checks. It was a place to lie low until he shook Amertek off his trail.

I'll totally agree that construction is a noble profession (and damned hard too) but John's motivations for getting into that line of work were all about self-preservation, and he wasnt even in that job for very long at all.

Whatever floats your boat of course, but I think you put a lot more emphasis on this aspect of John's history than I am.

And personally, I like his current origin. Quit his high-paying government job over ethics (the treatment of Superman), helped Superman battle Metal-0 (who he designed) and the Collector of Worlds. Then spent time in third world nations helping out, finally came home and began building prisons for superhumans. There's nothing but nobility and grace in that origin, and a man who does everything he can to help people. His first origin was great too, but so is this one.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Cypher, maybe you mentioned it earlier and I missed it, but you are aware that John only went into construction because he was hiding from Amertek (am I spelling that correctly?) right? He didnt go into construction with the mindset of "Im going to help people by building houses and office buildings!" he went into construction because he was on the run and construction jobs don't run detailed background checks. It was a place to lie low until he shook Amertek off his trail.

I'll totally agree that construction is a noble profession (and damned hard too) but John's motivations for getting into that line of work were all about self-preservation, and he wasnt even in that job for very long at all.

Whatever floats your boat of course, but I think you put a lot more emphasis on this aspect of John's history than I am.

And personally, I like his current origin. Quit his high-paying government job over ethics (the treatment of Superman), helped Superman battle Metal-0 (who he designed) and the Collector of Worlds. Then spent time in third world nations helping out, finally came home and began building prisons for superhumans. There's nothing but nobility and grace in that origin, and a man who does everything he can to help people. His first origin was great too, but so is this one.
    Agreed fully!

Also, in my personal head canon, when Superman died, he came back to Metropolis briefly to "fill the void", so, much of his early adventures as a replacement "Superman" are still valid

BANNED

Yup I know, he left because he didnt agree with them and in that void of being out of the company is where his true character develops, moral wise and things coming into fruition. A sort of maturity step. Finally witnessing all the kids with the Toastmasters fry each other also and meeting Superman.

Everyone likes what they like at the end of day.

Yup I know, he left because he didnt agree with them and in that void of being out of the company is where his true character develops, moral wise and things coming into fruition. A sort of maturity step. Finally witnessing all the kids with the Toastmasters fry each other also and meeting Superman.

Everyone likes what they like at the end of day.
    Oh, dont get me wrong. Im not knocking you for your love of the post-Crisis origin. I loved Steel's story, as well as his triumphant return to his hometown.

I do think you're judging the character's current history too harshly though; John has been taken care of pretty well in the 52. If you're not reading the books, obviously you'd have missed it all, but Pak has done right by the guy.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

If Steel is suppose to be part of Convergence why is there no information about that book or even previews of stuff like the other books?

I don't want to hear the book didn't sell so Steel goes to limbo with everyone else or it's the fan's fault when nothing has been done to get folks interested.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    If Steel is suppose to be part of Convergence why is there no information about that book or even previews of stuff like the other books?

I don't want to hear the book didn't sell so Steel goes to limbo with everyone else or it's the fan's fault when nothing has been done to get folks interested.
    Wait, do you mean Steel is getting a Convergence book of his own? I was under the impression that he's just showing up in one or two of the Superman-related titles.

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Wait, do you mean Steel is getting a Convergence book of his own? I was under the impression that he's just showing up in one or two of the Superman-related titles.
    And here I am at your service, gentlemen. My first time reading in depth about it as well.

Convergence: Superman - Man of Steel - writer Louise Simonson

STK668445

IGN: What’s it like getting to write in the world of Zero Hour?

Simonson: Writing in the world of Zero Hour is fun. A return to the olden, golden days of the mid-90s. A chance to play with Steel (and his niece Natasha and nephew Jemahl) and Gen-13 again. It was a lot of fun to revisit a couple of old Man of Steel characters: Bibbo and Professor Hamilton. And, of course, it’s wonderful to work with June Brigman and Roy Richardson again. Wish I’d had more time to play. Two issues just weren’t enough.

IGN: How does your comic tie into the larger Convergence event?

Simonson: Despite the title “Superman—The Man of Steel,” Superman is away from Metropolis when the Dome slams down on it. Steel battles Gen-13 for the survival of Metropolis. Of course, Gen-13 is hoping to defeat Steel and save La Jolla!

IGN: What can you tease about what fans can expect from your comic?

Simonson: Steel faces Gen-13 with the survival of each of their cities hanging in the balance. Fairchild, Grunge, Burnout, Rainmaker, and Freefall are appalled to be facing one “old” armored dude who doesn’t even have powers. Enter Natasha and Jemahl and…unexpectedly…the Parasite! Professor Hamilton unravels part of the mystery of the Dome, and his discovery alters the balance of power and changes Steel forever.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/...k-to-zero-hour

Im excited, looking foward big time to the Zero Hour Convergence DC issues in general. Cant wait for Simonsons' Steel, Azbats, Parallax, and everything awesome associated with the time.