Default Supernatural: Bloodlines

Please note, the majority of this post will be a copy and paste job, as I really don't want this thread to go missing for however long until spin-off likely begins.

But, I have my opinions of the backdoor, and will likely write them up in the Supernatural thread, as is an episode of it, but could so so here.

So, without any further ado, let's go!:

Hiya, Supernatural-philes! Just creating this thread so everybody has a place to discuss the Supernatural spin-off on the way, set to begin, most likely, in October, as CW shows tend to do these days. Sure, I'd prefer, maybe, if it was about Crowley, Castiel, the Alphas, Heaven, John Winchester, or any amount of familiar concepts, or characters.

Heaven, Hell, Men Of Letters, Purgatory, Knights of Hell... List goes on and on!

But, it should be interesting to see what essentially the same creative team, set in the same universe, as Supernatural, do with the concept. Away from Sam and Dean (mostly - would embed, but I don't know how), with all new characters, and set in one city, rather than on the road.

Without any further ado, that concept is:

'Exploring the clashing hunter and monster cultures in Chicago' - without twisting things from Wikipedia too much!

There's a number of characters, including:

Ennis Roth, a police academy trainee whose wife is killed in the monster war, played Lucien Laviscount. The tragedy leads him to becoming a Hunter himself.

David Hayden, a shapeshifter, hailing from one of the ruling monster families, who has given up that life a long time ago, living as a human. He is played by Nathaniel Buzolic.

Violet Durant, a member of a powerful werewolf pack, who has to hide true nature to to a forbidden love for David, above, a rival. She is played by Melissa Roxburgh.

Margo, acting leader/head of lead shapeshifter family, feels threatened only by return of prodigal son, David, above. She is played by Danielle Savre.

Detective Freddie Costa, mentor to Ennis, above, a world weary police officer, who's secretly on payroll of one of the most powerful monster families. He is player by Stephen Martines.

Bryce Johnson, playing an unknown role in Bloodlines.

Julian Durant, has no love for Davids' family, intensely handsome son to wealthy werewolf family. He is played by Sean Faris.

Tamara, yet another regular character in the show, is played by Erinn Westbrook. Will post more details when I have them to hand.

I sure am hoping this guy playing David's a good actor, because that's three regulars connected to him, straight from the off. Hopefully that forbidden love story won't be too tiring, or cliche, and rather one you could be against, but done well, or for, and still portrayed successfully.

Everything else sounds fine, just, yet again, even if this is to be a spin-off, why not one of one Angels' life, seeing Castiel rebel, fight Angels, Demons, help Winchesters, all the way to the end, with what they get up to, do, suffer, all that.

Or, one with John Winchester, from a little before Mary died, all the way on to his demise, passing to Heaven included. Could recast, use Jeffrey Dean Morgan spraingly, like at beginning, or towards end. Maybe use actor who played younger John to play him there. just call it Winchester. Could be fun. But, iven that a Samuel Colt spin-off, set in his time, was considered, who's to say this wouldn't be?

So, feel free to discuss away, in the run up to the show, including how you feel the backdoor pilot, episode 20 of Season 9 of Supernatural, airing this month, will set up the show, or impact on it. I hope you all have a good chat, theories and, like me, enjoy the show!

BANNED

Did you like the backdoor pilot?

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Well, I felt, early into it, the acting for Ennis could've been better, and, for majority of episode, same applies for Davids' actor.

But, felt, even without Sam and Dean, whose presence was still appreciated at times, as it can be in Winchester-lite episodes like this, it still had an interesting scenario, a good twist on what I thought to be a werewolf, was worried would be another serial killer and some good acting here and there, when it came to the woman who was shapeshifter head, more or less.

More to say, but will say later, but was good, and frustrated by fact that back to Angels and Demons, literally, next week, while I want to carry on with Ennis and that mysterious father thread in particular, as well as meeting family five, sirens and so on.

And yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    I didnt like it. This stuff needs a lot of work before they go for a series.
    Like i said in the other board, this just felt like a copy of Kindred: The Embranced, a tv show about Vamp mafia families annoying each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Like i said in the other board, this just felt like a copy of Kindred: The Embranced, a tv show about Vamp mafia families annoying each other.
    That sounds like a fun show. Worth watching?

Also, was very much intrigued by the story about whether Ennis' father was just a police officer, or a Hunter. That, like John for Sam and Dean, is a father they had not close at hand, and at times wondered about the continuing life of.

Though, with the twist that, for Ennis, he's been dead for years, rather than alive for many.

Good character arc set up for him as a more skilled Hunter, and maybe to deal with the lone wolf attitude, by maybe somehow working more with David, as well as the coldness shown by simply killing the man towards the end. Especially when it was more complicated than twisted serial killer, or anything like that.

Appreciated that David seemed to notice that, when he said he was a messed up guy, perhaps realising how much a toll a monster war could have, after heeding their fathers words and seeing what some of the monsters do to people when left unchecked.

It'll be interesting to see, when she does not want him back, what sort of impact his return will have.

Also, though shifters wouldn't necessarily have as much strength as werewolves, shown, as people've said, in many a scene, like the one with a simple human overpowering David, I feel the flashback works because it's not necessarily about her not heeding the threat, and going on from there, but recognising the need to, at the time, leave David alone.

Respecting that was her choice, as David himself called her out on, and was hurt by.

Also, seems a fairly brutish household, for Violet to be treated as she was by one of their own, in a fairly abusive manner for The CW, and shows that air upon it.

Hoping to see more of the other families, with such a strong focus on werewolves and shapeshifters. And, I do notice their featuring a vampire and wraith. In fact, I believe the reason Ennis couldn't kill that creature was because silver bullets don't work on a vampire, hence why Dean decapitated it. Or, could by like my Dad was saying, how it was a werewolf, and he hadn't packed the silver bullets at the time.

The don't be a Hunter, turn away from this life, it'll get you killed, cliche was a little tiring, especially to hear for the umpteenth time on the show. Whether it takes the form of them being a witch, and to stay away, or just a regular joe, it's still a bit tired at this point, though I understand where the brothers are coming from, especially after al they've been throuh, alive, dead, or otherwise.

Was Ennis' girlfriend definitely human, not any kind of creature? I totally though she was, and was targeted for that, and this was maybe the werewolf, Julian, trying to get payback from the time in the bar/club. I do remember the man with the claw hands saying that it was just that she got in the way, and actually apologising to Ennis for it, but, just wondering.

Also, wondering how big a part djinn will play. Strength isn't that bad, and their abilities could make for some interesting plots, especially if working with the werewolves. Or, could be an interesting early foray for Ennis, though I think a siren or two might be better to start off with.

Was a bit jarring seeing the regular title sequence show up, Angel wings and all, with how different a show Supernatural seemed to the opening scene. Also, very nice song chose foe Enis just walking about, and getting stuff together. Even commented how such a song would NEVER appear on Supernatural, but in Bloodlines, perhaps it fit.

Also, will be interesting seeing how Ennis manages, with a police officer on the take of the wolves, while David, as another character on another CW show, might struggle to continue love with Violet, while remaining loyal to family. At same time, being unwanted, with the potential of betrayal, or ousting, from the leader.

All in all, I hope it becomes a show, just so I can catch at least three episodes of it, and see how it goes from there. Also, will be interested to see what the opening title looks like and, if like its' parent show, it adopts a changing title for each Season.

Sure, I'd love something to do with John, Cas, or the Men Of Letters, as I might have mentioned, but, for now, am happy to see how this goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Agreed I didn't like it at all. It was what I thought it would be meaning it felt out of place in the supernatural verse. They could have easily rewritten the episode and took Sam and Dean out of it. As of right now, I doubt I would watch this if its picked up next season.
    McKenstry those with the most opinions often have the fewest facts.

Barack Obama There's not a liberal America and a conservative America - there's the United States of America.

Christopher Yost Cyclops = Awesome and Right, while Xavier = USELESS JERK-O! Viva la Cyclops!

Facts are the enemy of truth.

You gonna get us out of here. With that tight-ass Wolverine outfit on. Now, let's make it happen, *******

YOST: Okay, it's not Jean Grey. Nobody likes her