Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Default Red Hood & The Outlaws #31 Preview/Discussion

http://www.popmatters.com/post/18200...d-the-outlaws/

Pfeifer's last issue, again with an irregular team on art and the recap was way too wordy for my taste but it looks pretty entertaining. Is so weird to see OG Lobo being a legitimate threat and mostly, a cunning villian though.

BANNED

Still tired of seeing Jason fly around in space ships, which appeals to no one.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ReverseReverseFlash View Post
    Still tired of seeing Jason fly around in space ships, which appeals to no one.
    I agree. I really have no idea who sat in a meeting and said - hey, let's have a gritty, street level character team up with Starfire and go on space adventures. It makes absolutely no sense to me

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    I agree. I really have no idea who sat in a meeting and said - hey, let's have a gritty, street level character team up with Starfire and go on space adventures. It makes absolutely no sense to me
    This is spot on. Couldn't agreed with you more. Do you think things will change?

Astonishing Member

I thought this arc was pretty good. But then again I have never read the Tynion or Lobdell runs. I heard the Tynion ones were dreadfully boring. But Pfeifer is good, he hate all the story beats while showing us the good version of Lobo, Frankenstein and SHADE as well as cancelled Blackhawk Island, it certainly leaves me more confident for his run on New Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Fan View Post
    This is spot on. Couldn't agreed with you more. Do you think things will change?
    They will probably cancel the book before doing any major changes. It isn't a good book that isn't selling very well so there is no point in doing some major overhaul. Given that Batwing and BoP have been cancelled this book is probably up there on soon to be cancelled books list. They could probably just relaunch it into a Red Hood solo. I think the space adventure stuff has really run its course.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Red Hood & Red Robin

Boom, instant money.

This is what I'd do. Cancel the book, give Jason a Red Hood solo in the style of the new Punisher solo book, stick Roy back with Green Arrow for a bit and figure out their deal, and have Starfire join the Lanterns. They keep wanting to make the Outlaws book a space one because of her, so keep her in space then. The Lantern line could probably use some more well known characters.

Well, the book is edited by the Superman offices, so there's that... you can thank Lobdell, who's probably continuing JASON TODD IN SPAAAAAACE!

Yeah, I'm done with the book after this week. I'd rather Jason just be given a solo under the Bat office at this point.

Astonishing Member

I think it fall under the Titans aegis actually since it has the same editor as the New Teen Titans book as well as Superboy (and I think the Earth-2 books) but it's wrong to think of it as exclusively the Superman office.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    Well, the book is edited by the Superman offices, so there's that... you can thank Lobdell, who's probably continuing JASON TODD IN SPAAAAAACE!

Yeah, I'm done with the book after this week. I'd rather Jason just be given a solo under the Bat office at this point.
    I'd have to disagree here, I'm not a fan of Snyder's and after the JT4 fiasco and the trainwreck that was Batman & Red Hood I hope Jason keeps outside of the Bat office influence.

Thing is, Jason is no longer a gritty, street level character on the N52. He's more of a wild card now, using the mystical aspect of his resurrection and subsequent training he's filling the 'weird' niche of the bat books. I found that direction pretty interesting and original since I'm BORED of the generic brooding vigilante Jason previously was. There's a lot of people claiming that he's now a Grayson copycat but I don't remember Dick fighting mystics or having plenty outer space experience, with all the buzz Guardians of the Galaxy is getting for the movie I'm game for Jason to be in a similar role on the N52.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

It's listed with Bat titles in solicits, gets drawn into Bat family related events, features a former Robin and has a freaking bat on the cover so why isn't it being edited by the Bat office? Makes no sense.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Thing is, Jason is no longer a gritty, street level character on the N52. He's more of a wild card now, using the mystical aspect of his resurrection and subsequent training he's filling the 'weird' niche of the bat books. I found that direction pretty interesting and original since I'm BORED of the generic brooding vigilante Jason previously was. There's a lot of people claiming that he's now a Grayson copycat but I don't remember Dick fighting mystics or having plenty outer space experience, with all the buzz Guardians of the Galaxy is getting for the movie I'm game for Jason to be in a similar role on the N52.
    I'm bored with Jason being solely a street level vigilante as well because all writers seem to do with that scenario is retread the same story with different players each time. I'll take a more mystical wild card type of character who isn't tied to any particular genre and can thus have differing kinds of adventures that allows Jason to experience new things and expands his horizon over one that is a brooding loner whose character has been stuck in a street level limbo for years and whose entire experiences are related solely to his angst over his death.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

He is a lot more like a Nightwing-lite character now though. More than he has been in a long time. Running around with the former Titans and being written in place of Dick in former Titan stories. I dunno, I find the whole space adventure/magic user Jason to be so dumb. His character just feels so out of place and directionless. I mean given what we've seen in Batwoman you can have a gritty street level book but still have a variety of stories within it. He can still fight big superhero threats and deal with mystical things instead of just killing bad guys. I mean given that he should have put his death behind him now and isn't carrying around that weight (as much anyway) his solo book would probably be a lot more fun and exciting than at any point prior.

Spectacular Member

...There's a lot of people claiming that he's now a Grayson copycat but I don't remember Dick fighting mystics or having plenty outer space experience, with all the buzz Guardians of the Galaxy is getting for the movie I'm game for Jason to be in a similar role on the N52.
    You don't remember Trigon, Brother Blood cult, or the huge Tamarian space adventure during his TT/NTT days? Not that Dick owns these concepts, but I'm surprised they don't stick in your mind given how many internet memes of Dick Grayson pull from those issues. He was always losing his clothes--then came the Flash Gordon space speedos and riding giant lizards. Crazy times.