All-New Member

Default Where to begin with Justice League?

I have two questions:

1) What is a good modern starting point to read about the Justice League?
    2) What were good storylines/issues around the '90s with the Justice League
    and lastly
    3) What are all-time classic Justice League stories?

As my name suggests I am a total newb to all this.

That's a good place to start.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

1. You can't go wrong with the current New 52 Justice League series. It's being penned by Geoff Johns (who did GL, Flash, Aquaman, JSA, Superman) and it's accessible with all current volumes starting from 2011.

2. Good 90's storylines look to Grant Morrison's JLA series.
    Notable arcs from that run would be
    New World Order JLA 1-4
    Rock of Ages : JLA 10-15
    Prometheus Unbound: JLA 16-17
    JLA Earth-2 by Grant Morisson
    Executive Action: JLA 24-26
    World War III: JLA 34, 36-41 (Not an arc I enjoy because it's so big, that I got lost reading it but it does close out the Batman v Prometheus fight from earlier in Morisson's run)
    Tower of Babel: JLA 43-46 (This one being written by Mark Waid after Morrison left)

Essentially the first 4 volumes of the deluxe editions of JLA which are available now on Amazon.

As for number 3, well DC did release this list of what they consider the definite Justice League stories a few years ago. Most are titles I recommended already.

BANNED

Actually agree with (above) G.Johns JL makes ALOTA sense. Than-
    -Grab (G.Johns//New52) 'Aquaman' vol.1&2
    (Aquaman #1-13 & #Zer0
    Than
    - Get (New52) JL "Throne of Atlantis"
    Don't forget to watch the Animated movie.
    Than
    - Get (New52) "Phantom Stranger" vol.1
    Than
    - JL "Trinity War" (& your lucky cause DC is making phat, thorough, affordable Trade's/GN's )

They're actually getting ready to start a new Justice League story arc, next issue I believe. So actually, right now is a good place to jump in. I agree with the above posters. Definitely check out the Grant Morrison stories, available in trades. The earlier arcs of the current JL series are also available in trade and pretty easy to just pick up and go. I read arcs here and there, of the current JL line and became a regular reader again with "The Amazo Virus". I had no trouble jumping in and knowing what was going on.

Batman and Superman were mostly absent from Justice League comics from 1985-1997, ironically during that time Justice League International is probably the best Justice League run ever.

So if you want to read about other characters leading the League instead of the usual stuff...it's a good place to start.

I will make it super easy. Go to Amazon and order the JLA Deluxe softcover books, volumes 1-6. That's a great starting point and meets all your criteria, I think. In fact, here:

http://www.amazon.com/JLA-Deluxe-Vol...1&keywords=jla

That's volume 1, and the other 5 are listed right there in the suggestions. Enjoy.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

JAL by Grant Morrison, Justice League International by Keith Giffen and JM DeMatis, and Justice League 15-to now by Geoff Johns. These'll be your best bet, in my opinion. Johns run takes a bit to get good, and it crosses over a lot, but what I've read from 15 on is pretty great. And the other 2 are probably the best books to come out of the 90's.
    Cyclops was right

For modern Justice League, you'll want to start at the beginning; #1; Vol.1.

Justice League Vol.1: Origin
    Justice League Vol.2: Villain's Journey
    Aquaman Vol.1: The Trench
    Aquaman Vol.2: The Others
    Aquaman Vol.3: Throne of Atlantis
    Justice League of America Vol.1: World's Most Dangerous
    Justice League Vol.4: The Grid (or alternatively and cheaper just issues #18-20)
    Justice League: Trinity War
    Forever Evil
    Justice League Vol.5: Forever Heroes

That all then leads into the Injustice arc (#30-34) and then The Amazo Virus (#35-39), which brings you up to date with #40 kicking of the Darkseid War.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Batman and Superman were mostly absent from Justice League comics from 1985-1997, ironically during that time Justice League International is probably the best Justice League run ever.
    Yes, the slow realisation during reading of Rock Of Ages that Luthor is motivated by Superman being a permanent member of the Justice League for the first time is a pretty strange one.

I love JLA: Year One, incidentally - don't know why it isn't talked about more.

Astonishing Member

jla year one is a good title to check out. not jaw drooping, but it's pretty solid and enjoyable.

a good jumping on point would be this june or july after the convergence event ends. both geof johns and bryan hitch have jl titles and story lines that has epic potential.