All-New Member

Default When did the hulk change?

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum. I have a question that has been nagging me for some time, and I decided to finally come here to see if I can't get that question answered.

A number of years back, I read some of the original Incredible Hulk comics from the 60's. Apparently back then Bruce Banner would turn into the Hulk every night (when the sun went down). Obviously now he turns into the hulk only when he gets mad. Can anybody tell me when this changed happened? Was that change part of the story, or did they sorta just slip into the new lore without mentioning it? It would be great if somebody could provide me with issue numbers as well.

Thanks!

Oh, the specifics of the change have been revised numerous times at the author's convenience. It's been night vs. day, anger, a special machine, you name it. The only constant is that sooner or later, the rules of the Hulk will change. Sometimes there's a reason for it, sometimes there isn't.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

All-New Member

lol thanks for the response Michael. Can anybody tell me when Banner started to change to the Hulk due to anger? ie when was the first appearance of this trigger?

according to Wiki it first was established in tales to astonish #59 (1964). Stress caused the change at that point.

All-New Member

Thanks pageturner!

Wow, when DIDN'T the Hulk change?

I think it's a little earlier than TOS #59. It was definitely a day/night thing until Incredible Hulk #3, and then Banner used a gamma-gun to intentionally transform himself. Sometimes it had a delayed reaction. By the time the Hulk joined the Avengers, the change became spontaneous--sometimes he would just change "because" without any control. I guess by TOS, it was firmly due to anxiety, but it wasn't a clean break from the day/night change.