Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

If Superman can't eat meat or drink beer then I don't find him relatable.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    That's why this discussion about meat is important because it factors into and helps define his ethics. If he's going to act like life is incredibly precious then that needs to be reflected in his actions all the time rather than just when it's convenient to be preachy.
    Pretty sure its "sentient" life that Superman considers "incredibly precious". We've seen him kill animals and non-sentient monsters. Hell, even the para-demons, while not sentient, are still "sort of" alive and Clark tears them apart like they're mindless robots.

Im sure Clark is very much against animal cruelty, and I like to think that as a reporter, its something he's tackled and a fight he will continue to wage. However, I dont see him actively telling people that their eating habits, formed from millions of years of evolution and still perfectly viable, are wrong and all of us should become vegetarians.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Empress96 View Post
    Superman not eating/needing water is dumb and solar powers do not magically explain it away. He has teeth doesn't he? Presumably teeth similar to humans so he can walk among us undetected. If Kryptonians evolved on their planet with teeth, they were obviously eating something. You can argue that Earth-based food may not be compatible to his physiology but not that he doesn't need food/water at all. You would have to redesign his character for some of these ideas to make sense.

This is one aspect of comics I don't like. I don't mind stretching ideas/theories/facts for storytelling, but some of this stuff isn't even rooted in basic science anymore. It's similar thing with the red vs yellow vs blue sunlight. You can a create sci-fi character/world/story while still adhering to facts.
    Responding to the first paragraph; yes, the whole point of him being sent to Earth was its compatible environment would allow him to survive. Kryptonians eat.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Kryptonians eat, but Kryptonians don't live under yellow Suns that make them cosmic beings. Superman under a yellow sun is nothing llike any Kryptonian in Krypton's history.

It's like this, Kryptonians have eyes, we have eyes, Kryptonians have heat vision, we must have heat vision... Except Kryptonians don't have heat vision on Krypton.
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 03-25-2015 at 04:39 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Pretty sure its "sentient" life that Superman considers "incredibly precious". We've seen him kill animals and non-sentient monsters. Hell, even the para-demons, while not sentient, are still "sort of" alive and Clark tears them apart like they're mindless robots.

Im sure Clark is very much against animal cruelty, and I like to think that as a reporter, its something he's tackled and a fight he will continue to wage. However, I dont see him actively telling people that their eating habits, formed from millions of years of evolution and still perfectly viable, are wrong and all of us should become vegetarians.

Animals are sentient, they're not sapient like human however. Besides we've seen Superman kill both sapient(Darkseid,The Kryptonians) and non-sapient (Doomsday) creatures before but usually only when his back is pushed against the wall.

We're not talking about what Superman does on a large scale just his personal ethics in his day to day life. What he chooses to do in his day to day life needs to be consistent with his core values otherwise the character will become inconsistent which makes for a weaker character.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Animals are sentient, they're not sapient like human however. Besides we've seen Superman kill both sapient(Darkseid,The Kryptonians) and non-sapient (Doomsday) creatures before but usually only when his back is pushed against the wall.

We're not talking about what Superman does on a large scale just his personal ethics in his day to day life. What he chooses to do in his day to day life needs to be consistent with his core values otherwise the character will become inconsistent which makes for a weaker character.
    Ah, yes, sapient. That's the word I was looking for earlier. Sometimes the mind wanders and things get lost.....anyway, that post was in relation to a few posts people have made concerning Clark's level of involvement concerning animal cruelty and his regard for life in general.

Anyway, his personal ethics are a reflection of his large scale actions, and vice versa.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

He (grew up) from Kanas is he not!!!

BANNED

Can Supes feel the burn of pepper? If he can't that would really suck.

If he can't feel his eyes water and the burn, poor guy. Of course that would also mean that pepper spray would work on him. But heck, he's been jockerized, so I guess that he should be able to feel the taste of pepper too.