Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher

And also not eating meat produces a more efficient better functioning body, I would know, I exercise a lot.
    I strongly disagree, but superman doesn't play by our rules. Honestly I can't see him feeling all that convicted but vegetarian is a fine idea that works better with his cover if anything, same with drinking. But man was I annoyed that he couldn't drink with pa Kent in action comics.

If Jesus Christ could drink wine and have fun at parties, (and he did according to the bible) then Superman can have a steak and drink a beer.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    And also not eating meat produces a more efficient better functioning body, I would know, I exercise a lot.
    I doubt you are representative for every man out there who exercises a lot. And if your assertion was right every professional athlete (you know, the people who are earning millions by competing and being the best of the best) would be vegan or at least vegeterian.

Superman does not need to eat and drink and alcohol has no effect on him. I think he eats food and drinks alcohol for the taste and even more important for the human experience and the bonding.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    If Jesus Christ could drink wine and have fun at parties, (and he did according to the bible) then Superman can have a steak and drink a beer.
    Jesus ate meat, too.

Just sayin'.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I strongly disagree, but superman doesn't play by our rules. Honestly I can't see him feeling all that convicted but vegetarian is a fine idea that works better with his cover if anything, same with drinking. But man was I annoyed that he couldn't drink with pa Kent in action comics.
    When was this? I know in Geoff Johns run he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    Well I never did dig the Jesus analogy.

Jesus also did whip ass (literally).
    Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    I doubt you are representative for every man out there who exercises a lot. And if your assertion was right every professional athlete (you know, the people who are earning millions by competing and being the best of the best) would be vegan or at least vegeterian.

Superman does not need to eat and drink and alcohol has no effect on him. I think he eats food and drinks alcohol for the taste and even more important for the human experience and the bonding.
    I do exercise more than the average man, only person I dont exercise more than are hardcore professional athletes.

2 hours of cardio, high intensity introvals, and calisthenics, 3-5 times week. Thats not counting in the miles I run. And that for boxing.

There are plenty of athletes who dont eat meat. I just know the facts of the human body functions and go off that, just because some athlete doesn't do it doesnt mean I care or use that as a model for my living.

BANNED

He shouldn't eat meat. He could drink socially, but I doubt he would alone, it's not like many people drink for the taste. I mean, I kinda like beer and spirits, but I also don't mind getting pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tra-EL View Post
    All life is definitely precious to him, but Clark also understands the rules of this world and that he can't allow himself to obsess over the things he can not control.
    "Sorry ma'am, I think you should understand that the rules of this world said your kid should get squashed by that runaway car, so I let him get hit."

I can see for sure for the sake of himself to never eat meat because of the outstanding point made above by Johnny Thunders! but at the same time, mere mortals and/or humans rely on certain organisms in this world that they simply need to live for their bodies to prosper and meats are one of those foods that keep us alive.
    This argument works under the assumption that all vegetarians and vegans are the undead.

Would Superman then be upset at US for killing these animals to feed off us for our own survival?
    Not for survival. But here's the thing, we don't generally speaking, need to kill animals to survive, especially in the Western world where practically all of us are within driving distance of a supermarket stocked with all other kinds of foods all year round. And even in cultures that aren't Western- there are plenty of vegetarians in Asia for example- it's a far more affordable lifestyle.

I think not because he lives in a world where he simply can't intervene in the divine plan of how this life works. It's an interesting question, to me, when you look at it that way but judging on it personally, I won't hold it against Supes for having a good 'ol Hotdog once in awhile, which is one of his favorite things.
    I kinda would if this is a guy who can actively hear every single day animals getting killed in the thousands, animals getting packed into vehicles in cramped conditions that suffocate them and break their bones, cows have their calves torn away from them to get slaughtered, baby male chicks getting ground up alive, roosters getting gassed, pigs held in tiny pens stewing in their own filth till they go crazy and start fighting with each other, pigs getting killed by being skewered and left to bleed to death...

But at the same time, I've always found it absolutely impossible to rationalise why someone like Superman would be fine with oppressive dictatorships as long as it's happening outside America, so... maybe if you're fine with that, Superman not caring about people killing and eating animals when they don't need to probably makes sense to you as well.

He didn't say you get stronger by eating meat, he said you could have the same effect without it. You do actually get utterly massive vegan bodybuilders who don't seem to be suffering from their lack of meat.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Jesus ate meat, too.

Just sayin'.
    Do people really want Superman to be like Jesus?

How about just a man with standards and morals. Also, the bible was just written by some guy. For all you know, maybe Jesus wasnt that way if hes real or maybe the writing is representative of the writer, just like comics are.

Fantastic Member

I do exercise more than the average man, only person I dont exercise more than are hardcore professional athletes.

2 hours of cardio, high intensity introvals, and calisthenics, 3-5 times week. Thats not counting in the miles I run. And that for boxing.

There are plenty of athletes who dont eat meat. I just know the facts of the human body functions and go off that, just because some athlete doesn't do it doesnt mean I care or use that as a model for my living.
    You are certainly free to do whatever you like. But we are not talking about "some athlete" here. Vegeterian athletes in professional sports are the minority. And professional sports are a billion dollar business. If being a vegeterian was an advantage, donīt you think every professional athlete would be one? Every advantage counts in professional sports, even a small one. Their coaches tell them which drugs they have to take, how they have to train and what to eat. In a billion dollar business like the NFL for example every athlete would be a vegeterian if this was an advantage.

If you feel better without meat then by any means do not eat meat. But do not claim that what you feel is representative for other athletes.

BANNED

You are certainly free to do whatever you like. But we are not talking about "some athlete" here. Vegeterian athletes in professional sports are the minority. And professional sports are a billion dollar business. If being a vegeterian was an advantage, donīt you think every professional athlete would be one? Every advantage counts in professional sports, even a small one. Their coaches tell them which drugs they have to take, how they have to train and what to eat. In a billion dollar business like the NFL for example every athlete would be a vegeterian if this was an advantage.

If you feel better without meat then by any means do not eat meat. But do not claim that what you feel is representative for other athletes.
    He's not saying it's an advantage. He's saying you can have the same effect without it.

Jesus.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    He didn't say you get stronger by eating meat, he said you could have the same effect without it. You do actually get utterly massive vegan bodybuilders who don't seem to be suffering from their lack of meat.
    He said: "And also not eating meat produces a more efficient better functioning body, I would know, I exercise a lot."

I am not saying that being a vegeterian is a disadvantage. But he is saying that it is an advantage and I disagree here.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Do people really want Superman to be like Jesus?

How about just a man with standards and morals. Also, the bible was just written by some guy. For all you know, maybe Jesus wasnt that way if hes real or maybe the writing is representative of the writer, just like comics are.
    No, I don't need or want Superman to be exactly like Jesus. I was just jumping on the bandwagon, so to speak.

I agree, he should just be a man of high morals with great power.

As far as what Jesus was like? It's not so much a question of what was specifically in the Bible. It's a question of knowing what life was like back then. Jews of that era ate lamb in observation of the Passover. ALL of them. It was an actual religious requirement of the times. Jesus' would've been expected to eat meat a minimum of once a year. He also traveled with a bunch of fishermen, too, so he almost certainly ate a lot of fish, if you consider fish meat.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Fantastic Member

He's not saying it's an advantage. He's saying you can have the same effect without it.

Jesus.
    same effect =//= more efficient better functioning

BANNED

Lone Necro pretty much summed it up. Good posts there, LN.

Sometimes its good to think for yourself and try things. Athletes and billion dollar business arent the gospel or the truth.

You shouldnt worship false idols, everyone talking about religion should know that one.

BANNED

He said: "And also not eating meat produces a more efficient better functioning body, I would know, I exercise a lot."

I am not saying that being a vegeterian is a disadvantage. But he is saying that it is an advantage and I disagree here.
    Ahh, right, what he's talking about there is that you don't usually need to spend so much time on the crapper if you give up meat.

BANNED

Well it is better functioning, because your body isnt as stressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    No, I don't need or want Superman to be exactly like Jesus. I was just jumping on the bandwagon, so to speak.

I agree, he should just be a man of high morals with great power.

As far as what Jesus was like? It's not so much a question of what was specifically in the Bible. It's a question of knowing what life was like back then. Jews of that era ate lamb in observation of the Passover. ALL of them. It was an actual religious requirement of the times. Jesus' would've been expected to eat meat a minimum of once a year. He also traveled with a bunch of fishermen, too, so he almost certainly ate a lot of fish, if you consider fish meat.
    Well amen, then.

The concept of worshipping Superman sometimes seems a bit iffy sometimes, since Superman is anti-worship.

Ahh, right, what he's talking about there is that you don't usually need to spend so much time on the crapper if you give up meat.
    Yeah, you have more energy which goes to other body processes, you dont have a ton of crap to carry around (literally).

Plus you feel lighter, cleaner, and think clearer since youre not tired.