Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I don't even like the idea that Superman doesn't need to eat. I mean I can roll with it, it doesn't bother me that much, but to me its kinda silly. He's a sentient being, he should need nutrients and sustenance. I get that the sun powers him but as a living creature I don't get why it suddenly provides him with everything he needs when that's not the way any other living thing works. Yes yes, he's fiction so they can do what they want, but that's just my personal preference.

Well, given how he is dressed now, he totally should.

Incredible Member

I think Superman should eat plenty of meat, but dunno about beer. Beer ins't even that good. I could see him maybe drinking socially, but if Superman really feels like drinking, he would get himself something that's actually good - like wine, or mixed vodka.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't even like the idea that Superman doesn't need to eat. I mean I can roll with it, it doesn't bother me that much, but to me its kinda silly. He's a sentient being, he should need nutrients and sustenance. I get that the sun powers him but as a living creature I don't get why it suddenly provides him with everything he needs when that's not the way any other living thing works. Yes yes, he's fiction so they can do what they want, but that's just my personal preference.
    Same here.
    I did like how post-crisis Supes could go for long times without needing sleep, but even he needed to sleep in order to dream and sort out his thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Do people really want Superman to be like Jesus?
    I don't have strong feelings either way. The fact is, there are an awful lot of similarities.

How about just a man with standards and morals. Also, the bible was just written by some guy. For all you know, maybe Jesus wasnt that way if hes real or maybe the writing is representative of the writer, just like comics are.
    Whether the bible accurately represents Jesus or not, the point is, if the most iconic representation we have of a savior in the history of the western world can eat meat, drink wine, and (as some one else put it) 'whip some ass,' then so can Superman.

Extraordinary Member

Personally I say no for both. Given Supermans personality and the fact he doesnt need food.

Joe Kellys run mentioned how beef burgonione Clarks favorite meal, and his and Lois' little pass word. He was also seen drinking beer in Geoff Johns run, plus drugs are pretty lame.
    I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous.

He doesn't need food? And people wonder why folks consider Superman as someone they can't relate to? What a surprise.

Years ago I remember reading a story where Superman gets ambushed by aliens in his sleep and hypnotized [this is a LOOOOONG time ago]. Now we find out that like the vampires in Twilight he doesnt even need to sleep. He can go 24/7.

It's crazy. And silly! Solar energy might give him super-powers but how does it create water in his body to keep him hydrated? It's a wonder he still even needs to breathe! [assuming he does, who knows].

He's supposed to be a Super-MAN. If he doesn't need to eat, drink or sleep you might as well call him a god and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Oh good, then is isn't just me! LOL
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    I could post a series of particularly gory and disturbing videos and images to explain to why Superman, an alien, would be as deeply disturbed as people killing animals out of "they like the taste" as he is by people murdering each other, but I suspect I might be banned.
    If it makes you happy we can assume that Superman - with the exception of the occasional hotdog - is only eating organic meat, buying it not from a supermarket but from a small business farmer he personally knows in smallville.

The smartest thing for DC to do would probably be not to adress this issue and let people decide for themselves if they think Superman eats meat and drinks beer

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    If it makes you happy we can assume that Superman - with the exception of the occasional hotdog - is only eating organic meat, buying it not from a supermarket but from a small business farmer he personally knows in smallville.
    Personally I've always thought that argument was stupid. I mean what difference does it really make if they're being raised to be slaughtered? In fact in a way it's creepier, all Norman Bates-y, people trying to laugh it off and treat animals well and sweet, sometimes even bringing them into the house like family- and then time for the chop.

My point is that Superman- and since some people have started saying "well I don't like that Superman doesn't need to eat at all" I'll put it this way- doesn't need to eat animals to survive and likely wouldn't as he's opposed to suffering in all forms on Earth and he'd hate to be contributing to that in any way. He is an alien with a very different perspective from anyone else on Earth. He can see into our cells to our DNA. He can see how similar human DNA is to other animals, kind of because humans are animals. He can see that we have a very similar elemental composition of oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, phosporus etc. At the end of the day humans just so happen to be one species of many on this planet, one that he just so happens to look like, but he still should be concerned for other species. I'd simultaneously expect him to be concerned about animals driven to extinction.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I don't see Clark being a vegan at all, at least not young Clark. He grew up on a farm and surely the Kents ate meat and drank beer. There's nothing wrong with that.

I guess I could see why later in life he'd maybe eat differently but I'm not sure it's really an issue that needs to be addressed.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

He doesn't need to breathe in some continuities, he can stop his heart, hunger is a weakness. It's part of the invulnerability . Also, I bet Superman could taste the stress hormones that ran through the animal as it was slaughtered. As for beer, He might like the taste, but would he smoke too? Lots of country folk do that.
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 03-21-2015 at 06:14 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I don't see Clark being a vegan at all, at least not young Clark. He grew up on a farm and surely the Kents ate meat and drank beer. There's nothing wrong with that.

I guess I could see why later in life he'd maybe eat differently but I'm not sure it's really an issue that needs to be addressed.
    That's a fair point, and what I usually think too. But we've also seen in Pak's Superman (I think it was the Secret Origin) that Clark felt bad as a baby from accidentally hurting Ma Kent when his grip was so strong. If his sense of empathy is that strong from such a young age, I can't see why he'd want to eat meat as a kid either.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    He doesn't need to breathe in some continuities, he can stop his heart, hunger is a weakness. It's part of the invulnerability . Also, I bet Superman could taste the stress hormones that ran through the animal as it was slaughtered. As for beer, He might like the taste, but would he smoke too? Lots of country folk do that.
    Whoa, steady on there son, let's not go crazy here. We all know Superman's feelings on that.

I know you're trying to find out where I hang my cape. YOU WON'T.

"Sorry ma'am, I think you should understand that the rules of this world said your kid should get squashed by that runaway car, so I let him get hit."
    That's not what I meant and that is a statement that is definitely taking out of context in what I was referring to. I specifically was referring to things that are out of Superman's control, like the rules of this world of humans being out there that depend on meats to survive whether there are vegetarian's out there or not. It is a human's right to eat what they want. It is NOT illegal and Superman is NOT a dictator. He should respect the culture in how we live as a species. And saving a kid from getting hit by a car is a tragedy and Superman CAN PREVENT that from happening. Two entirely different points.

Not for survival. But here's the thing, we don't generally speaking, need to kill animals to survive, especially in the Western world where practically all of us are within driving distance of a supermarket stocked with all other kinds of foods all year round. And even in cultures that aren't Western- there are plenty of vegetarians in Asia for example- it's a far more affordable lifestyle.
    We don't generally need to kill animals to survive but we, as humans, have a right to eat the meats that we deem healthy for our body and what is healthy for our nourishment as an individual. It's in our choice to decide and as I said above, is not illegal and a moot point so by those rules, Superman should have no problem in thoughts to interfere or allow this issue to bother him in a way of taking action or him feeling any less heroic in the comfort of his own suit so to speak.

I kinda would if this is a guy who can actively hear every single day animals getting killed in the thousands, animals getting packed into vehicles in cramped conditions that suffocate them and break their bones, cows have their calves torn away from them to get slaughtered, baby male chicks getting ground up alive, roosters getting gassed, pigs held in tiny pens stewing in their own filth till they go crazy and start fighting with each other, pigs getting killed by being skewered and left to bleed to death...
    Superman hears everything that go far beyond what human beings need to do with their own livelihoods and eating habits. With Superman's super-hearing, I'd like to think that even he understands the cruelty of this world sometimes and that he simply can NOT prevent everything what one person would think is wrong-doing over the other. Sure he hears this stuff but I'm sure he's also trained himself to focus in on the things he can control and zero-in his super-hearing on the things that are emergency situations and having the ability to block those other things out but at the same time, being aware of every situation happening around him.

Superman not caring about people killing and eating animals when they don't need to probably makes sense to you as well.
    I would think he would care for sure with the explanations above (because Superman simply CARES about everything) but at the same time, if he truly does want to be our savior and is here to protect us then he should understand that the very same people he has committed to protect have different views and different lifestyle's that he should respect how individual's who reside on this Earth go about their being and with that, to be apart of this world as-is, I wouldn't hold it against him if he chose EITHER way and it would NOT bother me in the slightest and hold anything against him.

As for Clark only drinking to be social argument; wouldn't he do the same with eating? Social eating? I'm sure Clark has gone out with his co-workers to lunch or discuss things over a professional dinner of some sort or in a social event such as a work Christmas party or what not but I can see him eating the food served in those circumstances just as much as to see him drink a beer in those social circumstances. He has done just that when grabbing a hot-dog with Jimmy on lunch hour at the local hot-dog stand.

Sometimes I feel that Superman is held to this EXTREME standard to the point I don't agree with every one of scientific explanation's or morale explanation's as to why. We all know Superman doesn't lie but he DOES keep his Superman secret from his co-workers and from the rest of the world hiding in his Clark Kent garb and for that, I never held against him either. I suppose it all depends on the certain fan. To me, having a beer or eating meat never registered to me to have this in-depth debate go on over the character but I can see why in others.

My main viewpoint on the matter is that I can see why he wouldn't, but at the same time, not be appalled if he does.
    Last edited by Tra-EL; 03-22-2015 at 12:59 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Needing to eat if he doesn't need to breathe is dumb. I mean, you could try something like him holding his breath in space, but that would never be a consistent rule. Relatable? Even if he eats like us, and breathes like us, he still has comic book alien powers. Peeing or not shouldn't break the suspension of disbelief.

Growing up on a farm causing him to be a dedicated meat eater is kinda stereotyping. Pretty sure his parents would respect a desire not to eat meat.
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 03-21-2015 at 12:23 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tra-EL View Post
    That's not what I meant and that is a statement that is definitely taking out of context in what I was referring to. I specifically was referring to things that are out of Superman's control, like the rules of this world of humans being out there that depend on meats to survive whether there are vegetarian's out there or not. It is a human's right to eat what they want. It is NOT illegal and Superman is NOT a dictator. He should respect the culture in how we live as a species. And saving a kid from getting hit by a car is a tragedy and Superman CAN PREVENT that from happening. Two entirely different points.
    But he can control whether he eats meat.

We don't generally need to kill animals to survive but we, as humans, have a right to eat the meats that we deem healthy for our body and what is healthy for our nourishment as an individual. It's in our choice to decide and as I said above, is not illegal and a moot point so by those rules, Superman should have no problem in thoughts to interfere or allow this issue to bother him in a way of taking action or him feeling any less heroic in the comfort of his own suit so to speak.
    Superman already acts outside the law, especially when he feels the law doesn't extend far enough to protect everyone it should.

Shockingly human laws don't really give too much of a sh*t about the environment and animals. I mean, it's such a such a shame that animals don't seem to get much of a choice in this "being raised in the hundreds of millions to be mass tortured and slaughtered", or having a right to "not get killed".

Superman hears everything that go far beyond what human beings need to do with their own livelihoods and eating habits. With Superman's super-hearing, I'd like to think that even he understands the cruelty of this world sometimes and that he simply can NOT prevent everything what one person would think is wrong-doing over the other. Sure he hears this stuff but I'm sure he's also trained himself to focus in on the things he can control and zero-in his super-hearing on the things that are emergency situations and having the ability to block those other things out but at the same time, being aware of every situation happening around him.

I would think he would care for sure with the explanations above (because Superman simply CARES about everything) but at the same time, if he truly does want to be our savior and is here to protect us then he should understand that the very same people he has committed to protect have different views and different lifestyle's that he should respect how individual's who reside on this Earth go about their being and with that, to be apart of this world as-is, I wouldn't hold it against him if he chose EITHER way and it would NOT bother me in the slightest and hold anything against him.
    What's your point? I wasn't saying he has to fly around trying to convert people, just from his active viewpoint it doesn't make sense why he'd want to contribute to the suffering and killing of animals.

As for Clark only drinking to be social argument; wouldn't he do the same with eating? Social eating? I'm sure Clark has gone out with his co-workers to lunch or discuss things over a professional dinner of some sort or in a social event such as a work Christmas party or what not but I can see him eating the food served in those circumstances just as much as to see him drink a beer in those social circumstances. He has does just that when grabbing a hot-dog with Jimmy on lunch hour at the local hot-dog stand.
    Well, like I said, drinking booze doesn't contribute to suffering for anyone who's immune to the effects of alcohol. Him eating meat would contribute to suffering.

I know you're trying to find out where I hang my cape. YOU WON'T.

But he can control whether he eats meat.
    That's what it basically comes down to. I was ricocheting the conversation into something other than that to have debate. When it comes down to it, it's Supe's choice and I can see why he wouldn't, it's obvious why he wouldn't want to but again, I wouldn't hold it against him if he did. It's not something I fret over when it comes to the character.

Shockingly human laws don't really give too much of a sh*t about the environment and animals. I mean, it's such a such a shame that animals don't seem to get much of a choice in this "being raised in the hundreds of millions to be mass tortured and slaughtered", or having a right to "not get killed".
    There are tons of organizations out there that are against animal cruelty and speak out in favor. For every human that decides to eat a cheeseburger, there's another out there saving a species from extinction and taking them in or getting them out of their dangerous environment. Vegetarian groups make their voice heard but our civilization sometimes works from a nature standpoint as well. The food chain in nature is unforgivable and humans have that right to participate in any form of their living.

just from his active viewpoint it doesn't make sense why he'd want to contribute to the suffering and killing of animals.
    I don't see it as contributing to the suffering and killing of animals. The suffering and killing takes place WAY before the meat is sanitary enough for humans to consume. I love animals. I would never hurt one in my lifetime and I am AGAINST animal cruelty and the suffering that takes place by the hands of other people but I'm not a vegetarian. Just because I do consume meat doesn't mean I feel like I contribute to the suffering of those animals. That's an unfair assumption.

Well, like I said, drinking booze doesn't contribute to suffering for anyone who's immune to the effects of alcohol.
    Booze doesn't effect Superman, but booze also impairs judgement and people have done some heinous acts in the form of alcoholism and suffer from that on a day to day basis in the world we live in. With Superman drinking a beer, is he contributing to the suffering of those people and the families who lost an innocent loved one who got killed by a drunk driver? I think not. Drinking a beer is innocent. Eating meat doesn't necessarily mean you contributed to the suffering of that animal either IMO. I guess it's all in how you view it.
    Last edited by Tra-EL; 03-21-2015 at 12:48 PM.

BANNED

Should he eat meat and drink beer? Not necessarily.

Can he eat meat and drink beer? Sure, the character is uptight enough as is.