Page 112 of 240 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122162212 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 3596

Thread: In Memoriam

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I watched the show in reruns during my teens and thought she was awesome! She will be missed.
    I believe I started watching reruns with my father in '71 when I was in first grade. I didn't really understand what was going on, but I still enjoyed it, nevertheless. Between Emma's kicks and Stead's metal-plated bowler and cane gun, that satisfied little ol' me.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I believe I started watching reruns with my father in '71 when I was in first grade. I didn't really understand what was going on, but I still enjoyed it, nevertheless. Between Emma's kicks and Stead's metal-plated bowler and cane gun, that satisfied little ol' me.
    If memory serves (a dicey proposition in my advanced years), I was 13 or 14 when I watched the reruns on the local UHF channel. I thought Steed was cooler than Bond while Emma was awesomeness squared.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

I'm old (OK, really old), so I watched The Avengers in its first run on US television. Let us pause to remember the episode in which Mrs. Peel went undercover as the mistress of the Hellfire Club. Eat your heart out, all you Marvel comics imitators.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Rest In Peace, Diane Rigg.

DianaRigg.jpg

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/10/91145...ang-dead-at-68

Ronald Bell, Co-Founder, Songwriter And Producer Of Kool & The Gang, Dead At 68

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Emma Peel's parting from the Avengers

I do not know if the episode was originally broadcast like that, but the meta message with the Diana Rigg opening sequence and the Linda Thorson end credits was a statement that things were changing.

Diana Rigg played a part which inspired at least one generation of women and gave boys something to wonder about. She was great and I will miss her.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    2020 has now taken Mrs. Peel. RIP to Dame Diana Rigg, at 82.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54106509
    She had a wonderful sense of humour, and pretty sure her first love was the theatre.

She must have been working (on tv at least) until very near the end, because she is currently appearing as Mrs Pumphrey in the remake of All Creatures Great and Small...which is a great comic part, glad she had such a long career.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I do not know if the episode was originally broadcast like that, but the meta message with the Diana Rigg opening sequence and the Linda Thorson end credits was a statement that things were changing.

Diana Rigg played a part which inspired at least one generation of women and gave boys something to wonder about. She was great and I will miss her.
    Yeah, it the U.S. anyway that is how it was broadcast. As I mentioned earlier, I recall ABC importing some British shows to bolter up ratings in the summer when the network series went on hiatus. I might be wrong but I think the Avengers may have gone into being on the regular season series at one point. Later there was the New Avengers, which featured Patrick McNee with Joanne Lumley (who would later go on to doing Absolutes Fabulous)

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    She had a wonderful sense of humour, and pretty sure her first love was the theatre.

She must have been working (on tv at least) until very near the end, because she is currently appearing as Mrs Pumphrey in the remake of All Creatures Great and Small...which is a great comic part, glad she had such a long career.
    Her IMDB also lists a mini series "Black Narcissus" that is in post production.

Yeah, it the U.S. anyway that is how it was broadcast. As I mentioned earlier, I recall ABC importing some British shows to bolter up ratings in the summer when the network series went on hiatus. I might be wrong but I think the Avengers may have gone into being on the regular season series at one point. Later there was the New Avengers, which featured Patrick McNee with Joanne Lumley (who would later go on to doing Absolutes Fabulous)
    Yah thats how I first saw the Avengers. It was basically catch as catch can, broadcast at odd hours at times. Filler for the networks, but man I loved the show and Emma!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Her IMDB also lists a mini series "Black Narcissus" that is in post production.
    Just had a quick google...looks like it’s based on same book as the Powell and Pressburger film...which by coincidence I’d made a “mental note” to view sometime soon (just on basis really enjoyed the couple of Powell and Pressburger films I have seen.)

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Just had a quick google...looks like it’s based on same book as the Powell and Pressburger film...which by coincidence I’d made a “mental note” to view sometime soon (just on basis really enjoyed the couple of Powell and Pressburger films I have seen.)
    Anything by Powell is worth seeing, IMO (including Black Narcisuss which is wonderful). The Jack Cardiff cinematography is just stunning.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

RIP to Frederick "Toots" Hibbert, Jamaican reggae legend. He was 77. I an not a huge reggae fan, but I first discovered his stuff when he collaborated with Warren Haynes' Gov't Mule and liked the song they did and his voice and explored more of his output. He will be missed.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Anything by Powell is worth seeing, IMO (including Black Narcisuss which is wonderful). The Jack Cardiff cinematography is just stunning.
    Totally agree. It is stunning. Kathleen Byron as Sister Ruth is memorable in a supporting role. You could swear they filmed in India but parts were done at some estate in Great Britain that had a garden area that looked somewhat exotic.

Here's a screen shot showing Byron as Sister Ruth from a DVD site that shows the quality of the cinematography

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 09-12-2020 at 10:07 AM.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Roy C has passed away at 81.
    Roy had a few R&B hits a singer, including "Shotgun Wedding".

He wrote a song for the Honey Drippers that is not only one of the most sampled songs by hip hop artists, it has seen increased popularity in the Trump era.

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!