Page 85 of 243 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135185 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 3638

Thread: In Memoriam

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I just saw this bit of news. I first remember him from being a bumbling ensign of McHale's Navy. I found him kind of annoying in that part. But I really was surprised to see how much better he was doing comedy in front of the live audiences on the Carol Burnett Show. He always tried to get Harvey Korman to break up and most of the time succeeded. Carol was much harder but she would get caught sometimes too. Probably his most remembered bit with Harvey was the dentist sketch with Tim as the dentist and Harvey as his patient.

Here is the full routine

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Without knowing what their health situations were like (did they have previous issues), you really shouldn’t worry. You’ll just drive yourself crazy.
    Heh. I'm not really that paranoid, WPP.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

The funniest deadpan face may have been Conway's. The first time I saw him was on reruns of McHale's Navy a little more than 50 years ago, though his work with Carol Burnett, IMO, was his finest.

RIP

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Last time I seen/heard Conway in anything was voicing "The Weeper" on B:TB&TB.

Rest In Peace!

weeper.jpg

R.I.P. I.M. Pei (at age 102):
    I.M. Pei, Master Architect Whose Buildings Dazzled the World, Dies at 102
    By Paul Goldberger - May 16, 2019

I. M. Pei, who began his long career designing buildings for a New York real estate developer and ended it as one of the most revered architects in the world, died early Thursday at his home in Manhattan. He was 102.
    His death was confirmed by his son Li Chung Pei, who is also an architect and known as Sandi. He said his father had recently celebrated his birthday with a family dinner.
    Best known for designing the East Building of the National Gallery of Art in Washington and the glass pyramid at the entrance to the Louvre in Paris, Mr. Pei was one of the few architects who were equally attractive to real estate developers, corporate chieftains and art museum boards (the third group, of course, often made up of members of the first two). And all of his work — from his commercial skyscrapers to his art museums — represented a careful balance of the cutting edge and the conservative.
    You can read the rest here: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/16/o...-pei-dead.html

By the way, also was the architect for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland, Ohio.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/16/a...?module=inline

R.I.P. "Grumpy Cat".

Grumpy Cat has died. The Internet-famous feline with the perpetually miserable mug was 7.
    By J. Freedom du Lac, Allyson Chiu and Lindsey Bever - May 17 at 9:08 AM

“Some days are grumpier than others,” the Instagram caption read.
    It appeared next to a photo of the Internet’s most famous and beloved cat, the one with the perpetually miserable mug.
    But this was no ordinary post Friday morning on @realgrumpycat, the wildly popular Instagram account with more than 2.4 million followers, who have grown to adore the cat’s perma-scowl.
    Grumpy Cat’s owners had come to share some extremely news:
    Grumpy Cat is dead.
    The “grumpy” cat, whose real name was Tardar Sauce, died on Tuesday of complications from a urinary tract infection.
    She was 7.
    You can read more about the feline's rise to fame and other stuff here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.8ea7edabd708

Aww my favorite feline dwarf, farewell.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    R.I.P. I.M. Pei (at age 102):
    You can read the rest here: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/16/o...-pei-dead.html

By the way, also was the architect for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland, Ohio.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/16/a...?module=inline
    Another famous centenarian now gone today - Herman Wouk: https://apnews.com/1ee28153a1e54f52a516352171c7f41d

RIP to both men.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Green Bay Packers legend Bart Starr has passed away:

https://www.packers.com/news/packers...arr-dies-at-85
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

A legend he certainly was!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

R.I.P. MLB legend Bill Buckner.
    Former Red Sox First Baseman Bill Buckner Dies At 69
    May 27, 2019·6:21 PM ET

Being remembered for a mistake is hard. Being the living symbol of 86 years of futility is just about impossible.
    But that's exactly what Bill Buckner was to Boston Red Sox fans for nearly 20 years.
    Buckner, an All-Star and Gold Glove baseball player who played in the major leagues for 22 years, died Monday. He was 69.
    "After battling the disease of Lewy Body Dementia, Bill Buckner passed away early the morning of May 27th surrounded by his family," according to a statement from his family shared by the Red Sox. "Bill fought with courage and grit as he did all things in life. Our hearts are broken but we are at peace knowing he is in the arms of his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."
    Buckner built up an impressive record as a player, with more than 1,000 runs scored during his career. He was an All-Star in 1981 while playing for the Chicago Cubs. But Buckner found it hard to shake a mistake he made during game six of the 1986 World Series against the New York Mets.
    The Sox had a two-run lead, and were one strike away from winning their first World Series championship since 1918. But the Mets clawed back from the brink to tie the game in the 10th inning. With a runner on second base, a base hit would give the Mets the win and force a game seven.
    It turns out they only needed the most famous error in baseball history.
    Mets player Mookie Wilson hit a grounder toward first base — as the announcer called it, "a little roller up along first." Buckner ran toward the ball, took a wide stance, reached down to scoop it up — and the ball rolled right between his legs.
    You can read more here: https://www.npr.org/2019/05/27/72735...ner-dies-at-69

R.I.P. MLB legend Bill Buckner.
    You can read more here: https://www.npr.org/2019/05/27/72735...ner-dies-at-69
    As someone who considers 1986 to be my favorite year in baseball (yes, I'm a Mets fan ), Buckner got a lot of unfair crap about that ground ball between his (injured) legs during the WS. He certainly deserves to be remembered for a fine, long career instead of that miscue.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Green Bay Packers legend Bart Starr has passed away:

https://www.packers.com/news/packers...arr-dies-at-85
    Not the best QB of his time, but just because he wasn't Johnny U doesn't mean he wasn't great.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    As someone who considers 1986 to be my favorite year in baseball (yes, I'm a Mets fan ), Buckner got a lot of unfair crap about that ground ball between his (injured) legs during the WS. He certainly deserves to be remembered for a fine, long career instead of that miscue.

RIP
    My memories of that World Series are of a Yankees fan who didn't really watch the games, but I was sharing a house with a few other people from work, including a married couple where she (originally from Long Island) was a Mets fan and he (originally from Maine) was a Red Sox fan.

My memories of that World Series are of a Yankees fan who didn't really watch the games, but I was sharing a house with a few other people from work, including a married couple where she (originally from Long Island) was a Mets fan and he (originally from Maine) was a Red Sox fan.
    Man, that's the recipe for divorce court right there!