Page 235 of 243 FirstFirst ... 135185225231232233234235236237238239 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,525 of 3641

Thread: In Memoriam

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Yep.

That one was a downer.
    The old school journalists have no equal these days. Print and TV.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    At least we still got Ted Koppel!
    He's not retired?

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    He's not retired?
    I saw him do a really interesting segment on CBS News Sunday Morning a few months ago about artificial intelligence (asked really great questions by the way). He's a special contributor there.

RIP Melanie:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/24/a...anie-dead.html

It's amazing that gospel-tinged numbers like "Lay Down" would perform so well on the pop charts. I personally love the Edwin Hawkins Singers and I am thrilled that such a great song got so much airplay back in the day. Singing over the Edwin Hawkins singers ain’t no easy task and Melanie easily held her own with them.

That would never happen today.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-24-2024 at 08:37 PM.

Extraordinary Member

RIP Melanie:

It's amazing that gospel-tinged numbers like "Lay Down" would perform so well on the pop charts. I personally love the Edwin Hawkins Singers and I am thrilled that such a great song got so much airplay back in the day. Singing over the Edwin Hawkins singers ain’t no easy task and Melanie easily held her own with them.

My sister loved Brand New Key. Nice memories. RIP

Cuban Olympian judoka Maricet Espinosa Gonzalez has passed away.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    My sister loved Brand New Key. Nice memories. RIP
    Just heard that song on the radio today! Nice!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

RIP Melanie:

It was definitely a different time.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member

Arno A. Penzias, who shared the 1978 Nobel Prize in physics for his co-discovery of the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation, died on Jan. 22 at the age of 90. In 1964 Dr. Penzias and his collaborator Robert W. Wilson, both researchers at Bell Laboratories, conducted an exhaustive investigation of background radiation that could interfere with satellite communications in the microwave band, but after eliminating all sources for which they could account, there remained an excess "antenna temperature" (radiative energy) that corresponded to no apparent source. Rather than emanating from discrete points in space such as neutron stars or galactic nuclei, this background radiation was coming from... everywhere. It had the same 2.72 degrees Kelvin blackbody thermal structure no mater in what direction of the sky Penzias's and Wilson's radio telescope was pointed. Other scientists concluded that this radiation had been emitted from every point in space when the universe was only about 400,000 years old and had cooled to the point that electrons and nuclei could combine into atoms, and the photons from the resulting "flash" have been traveling through space for the over 13 billion years since then. This is regarded as one of the landmark discoveries of 20th century science, since it provides direct observational evidence of the "Big Bang" origin of the universe.

I wish this country celebrated it's Noble Prize winners more.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    It was definitely a different time.

RIP
    I don't hate modern music like a lot of older folks do, but if younger people did listen to the stuff that was being played on AM radio fifty-sixty years ago, I think they would be astonished by how good it was.

CBS News Sunday Morning will be broadcasting a tribute to Charles Osgood tomorrow:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/this-we...uary-28-2024/#

I don't hate modern music like a lot of older folks do, but if younger people did listen to the stuff that was being played on AM radio fifty-sixty years ago, I think they would be astonished by how good it was.
    I sometimes read the comments on Youtube and… once in a while young people are very fond of old stuff, wish they were born in this era.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Oh, I'm not an old fogey when it comes to new music at all (though I despise anything with Auto-Tune, FWIW) or believe everything was great back "in the old days" (we had Feelings - 'nuff said!)

I do think it's funny that my nephews and niece prefer a lot of the older stuff compared to what's big today, though. Yes, I loved the music of the '50s and '60s as a kid during the '70s, but I loved what was on the charts then, too. Maybe it's just hard reinventing the wheel once again.

CBS News Sunday Morning will be broadcasting a tribute to Charles Osgood tomorrow:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/this-we...uary-28-2024/#
    Always liked him, especially his lighthearted reports on CBS Radio.

RIP