Page 87 of 243 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137187 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 3638

Thread: In Memoriam

I saw Gloria V on TV 1 or 2 years ago and she looked and acted much younger than 90's. That is why I am so surprised to hear of her passing. I feel for her son Anderson. I know how close he was to her.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

The Deadman DJ is dead.

Philippe "Zdar" Cerboneschi of the French electro duo Cassius died after accidentally falling from a high window. He was only 50 years old.

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Retired US Air Force Lt. Col. Robert Friend, one of the last surviving members of the legendary Tuskegee Airmen during World War II - R.I.P.

Robert Friend, one of the original Tuskegee Airmen, dies at 99
    By Amanda Jackson, CNN
    Updated 5:20 PM ET, Sun June 23, 2019

Retired US Air Force Lt. Col. Robert Friend, one of the last surviving members of the legendary Tuskegee Airmen during World War II, has died, his daughter said. He was 99.
    Friend's daughter told CNN affiliate KCBS her father was surrounded by friends and family when he died Friday in California. The cause of death was sepsis, Karen Crumlich, Friend's daughter, said.
    "...We called the chaplain and we did a prayer," Crumlich said. "And during the prayer, right when we said amen, he took his last breath."
    Friend flew 142 combat missions during World War II, including missions in North Africa and Europe, according to CAF Red Tail Squadron, a group dedicated to preserving the legacy of America's first African-American military pilots.
    Born in Columbia, South Carolina, in 1920, Friend attempted to enlist in the Army to fly but was turned away, according to an account published by the Red Tail Squadron. Undaunted, he took aviation courses at Lincoln University in Pennsylvania.
    Before the war, African-Americans were barred from flying for the US military. But in 1941, under pressure from civil right groups, the US Army Air Corps created an all-black squadron at the Tuskegee Army Airfield in Macon County, Alabama, according to Tuskegee Airmen Inc. They became known as the Tuskegee Airmen.
    Friend also served during the Korea and Vietnam wars, retiring from the US Air Force after a 28 year career, according to Red Tail Squadron. After he retired, "his expertise was utilized to oversee the design and production of space products for the Space Shuttle program, lead a company that creates components for the International Space Station" and worked on weapon and missile development for the Air Force, the group said.
    Friend will be buried with full military honors most likely the weekend of July 4, she said. He is preceded in death by his wife, Anna, whose likeness was the inspiration for the painting of "Bunny" on the restored P-51 Mustang he once flew.
    "He is with my mom. That is the one thing he wanted nine years ago," Crumlich said. "He wanted to be with her, now he is with her."
    Crumlich also told KCBS that her father wanted to parachute out of a plane with the Golden Knight's Army team for his 100th birthday, in his honor she is planning on taking his spot in February.

(https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/23/us/ro...rnd/index.html)

R.I.P. author Judith Krantz.

Steamy romance novelist Judith Krantz, author of 'Scruples,' dies at 91
    Stefanie Dazio and Sandy Cohen, The Associated Press
    Published 7:02 p.m. ET June 23, 2019 | Updated 7:04 p.m. ET June 23, 2019

LOS ANGELES – Writer Judith Krantz, whose million-selling novels such as "Scruples" and "Princess Daisy" engrossed readers worldwide with their steamy tales of the rich and beautiful, died Saturday at her Bel-Air home. She was 91.
    Krantz's son Tony Krantz, a TV executive, confirmed her death by natural causes on Sunday afternoon. He said he'd hoped to re-create the "Scruples" miniseries before her she died but it is still in the works.
    "She had this rare combination of commercial and creative," he said.
    Krantz wrote for Cosmopolitan and Ladies Home Journal magazines before discovering, at age 50, the talent for fiction that made her rich and famous like the characters she created.
    Her first novel — "Scruples" in 1978 — became a best-seller, as did the nine that followed. Krantz's books have been translated into 52 languages and sold more than 85 million copies worldwide. They inspired a series of hit miniseries with the help of her husband, film and television producer Steve Krantz.
    You can read more here:
    I never read any of Krantz's stuff, but I was definitely familiar with her name from when I use to work at a Waldenbooks back in the early 1980s. (Hers and Jackie Collins' books seemed to be quite popular back in the day.)

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Former Chrysler CEO Lee Iacocca has died at age 94

https://news.yahoo.com/former-chrysl...QDBHNlYwNzYw--
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Former Chrysler CEO Lee Iacocca has died at age 94

https://news.yahoo.com/former-chrysl...QDBHNlYwNzYw--
    Yeah, heard that on the news this morning.

Only Chrysler product I/my family ever owned was a 1976 Plymouth Volaré station wagon, a car line that Motor Trend had proclaimed "The Car of the Year" (along with it's sister make the Dodge Aspen), but it had five recalls in it's first year. (Oops!) It was a great car . . . when it wasn't in the shop, and when you learned to work around its constant stalling and its nightmare electrical wiring system.
    Iaccoca came on board at Chrysler after that mess and gave us what became the ubiquitous "mini-van" here in the U.S., a vehicle that was far from exciting, but proved quite useful and popular. And who can forget his constant presence in commercials for mini-vans, K-cars, etc.?

R.I.P. Mr. Iacocca.

Arte Johnson has passed away. His comedy was very interesting.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Yeah, heard that on the news this morning.

Only Chrysler product I/my family ever owned was a 1976 Plymouth Volaré station wagon, a car line that Motor Trend had proclaimed "The Car of the Year" (along with it's sister make the Dodge Aspen), but it had five recalls in it's first year. (Oops!) It was a great car . . . when it wasn't in the shop, and when you learned to work around its constant stalling and its nightmare electrical wiring system.
    Iaccoca came on board at Chrysler after that mess and gave us what became the ubiquitous "mini-van" here in the U.S., a vehicle that was far from exciting, but proved quite useful and popular. And who can forget his constant presence in commercials for mini-vans, K-cars, etc.?

R.I.P. Mr. Iacocca.
    My family never owned a Chrysler, but it was hard not to have respected him.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Arte Johnson has passed away. His comedy was very interesting.
    Man, I can remember watching him on Laugh-In as a three-year old back in '68. He was my favorite on that show, too.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

R.I.P. H. Ross Perot (Billionaire who also ran for U.S. President)
    Billionaire and former presidential candidate Ross Perot dies at 89
    Kevin Breuninger

Billionaire businessman, philanthropist and independent presidential candidate Ross Perot is dead at 89, CNBC has confirmed.
    Perot, who ran for president in 1992 and 1996, died after a five-month battle with leukemia, said James Fuller, a representative for the Perot family.
    “In business and in life, Ross was a man of integrity and action. A true American patriot and a man of rare vision, principle and deep compassion, he touched the lives of countless people through his unwavering support of the military and veterans and through his charitable endeavors,” Fuller said in a statement.
    Perot is survived by his wife, Margot, his five children and 16 grandchildren.
    You can read more here: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/09/bill...ead-at-89.html

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    My family never owned a Chrysler, but it was hard not to have respected him.

RIP
    I saw in another article that he was instrumental in the development of the Mustang when he was at Ford so he gets props for that

I had never heard of the gentleman before (at least as far as I can remember).
    You can read the rest here: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ituary-846047/
    I remember hearing these guys in the 90's & thinking they were going to be HUGE. Like Run DMC big. Really, clever & grotesque imagery might have been too much though. Bye Billy, you were a trip.

R.I.P. actor Rip Torn.

Rip Torn, ‘Men in Black,’ ‘Larry Sanders Show’ Star, Dies at 88
    By Carmel Dagan - July 9, 2019 7:40PM PT

Actor Rip Torn, who earned Oscar and Tony nominations as well as an Emmy Award and two Obies, has died Tuesday in Lakeville Conn., his representative confirmed. He was 88.
    Torn was equally at home in the comedy of the “Men in Black” film series or TV’s “The Larry Sanders Show” (for which he won his Emmy) and in the drama of “Sweet Bird of Youth” or “Anna Christie,” to name two of the numerous classic works of theater in which he appeared.
    The actor was nominated for a supporting-actor Oscar in 1984 for his work as a father who confronts tragedy in Martin Ritt’s “Cross Creek,” one of many rural dramas in which he appeared during his career.
    You can read more here: https://variety.com/2019/film/news/r...ow-1203263099/

R.I.P. H. Ross Perot (Billionaire who also ran for U.S. President)
    You can read more here: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/09/bill...ead-at-89.html
    Yesterday, a neighbor, after learning Perot had died said to me, and I quote, "Good! I hope the little **** rots in hell! He gave Trump the idea to run for president, and look how fucked up we are today!" I'm sure a whole LOT of people made a similar analogy: Self-important rich man runs for president, mistakenly believing the country could be run like a business. But, unlike Perot who genuinely wanted to serve and help the country from the Oval Office, Trump only cares about the power and the prestige and (in my opinion), getting payback against Barack Obama who made fun of him eight years ago by killing each and every one of his legislative actions like the ACA out of nothing more than sheer spite.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

R.I.P. actor Rip Torn.

You can read more here: https://variety.com/2019/film/news/r...ow-1203263099/
    A very versatile actor. R.I.P "Patches O'Houlihan" Always remember, if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball

Jim Bouton, Author of Tell-All Baseball Memoir ‘Ball Four,’ Dies at 80

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/10/s...ball-four.html