Page 242 of 243 FirstFirst ... 142192232238239240241242243 LastLast
Results 3,616 to 3,630 of 3640

Thread: In Memoriam

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Yeah, and it shouldn't have been that way. O.J. was one of the best running backs in NFL history, then enjoyed a second career after football as an actor and TV pitchman, but, to most people, he'll be forever remembered for allegedly having murdered his wife Nicole and her friend Ronald Goodman.
    I know his trial etc. was very controversial and he did get acquitted. The prosecution shot themselves in the foot by having Simpson try on a blood stained glove that was found near the scene of the crime at Nicole 's home that matched a glove found at Simpson's home .
    No one else was ever arrested for the murder. He later wrote a controversial book called "If I did it" that made the question of who murdered Nicole even murkier. No one else was every brought to trial for the murders.

"Reaction to the not guilty verdict was largely split along racial lines: At the time, 62% of White people surveyed believed him guilty, while 66% of African Americans believed him not guilty, a CNN and Time Magazine poll showed. Additionally, 65% of African Americans believed Simpson had been framed.

Those opinions would change over time. By 2014 – even before ESPN’s landmark documentary “O.J.: Made in America” masterfully reexamined the case through the lens of Simpson’s race – a CNN/ORC poll found 53% of Black people surveyed said the murder charges against Simpson were either “definitely true” or “probably true.”

Simpson continued officially to maintain his innocence. But he at times appeared to toy with the public’s perception of the case: He penned a book titled, “If I Did It,” that was promoted as a hypothetical first-hand account of the killings. The publisher initially canceled its run amid widespread criticism, but it was published in 2007 under the title, “If I Did It: Confessions of The Killer,” after a judge awarded the rights to Goldman’s family, with proceeds going toward the millions of dollars Simpson had failed to pay in the civil judgment.

Simpson similarly – and again, hypothetically, he said – described the killings in detail in a 2006 interview meant to serve as a companion to the book. That interview was held for years before airing in 2018.

“And I remember I grabbed the knife – I do remember that portion … – and to be honest after that I don’t remember, except I’m standing there and there’s all kind of stuff around and …” he said, before his voice trailed off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Sorry, no allegedly. He did it. Anyone who watched the trial and could think rationally could see he did it. And he was found culpable in the Civil Trial. He killed two people and should be remembered for that first.

I agree.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-11-2024 at 10:25 AM.

Those were his gloves, the ones he wore when he murdered Nicole and Ron. First, the judge allowed him to have surgical gloves on to "protect" the leather gloves. This made them harder to put on. Second, he was an actor, and his struggles to put them on was so much of an act, it should have been obvious he was faking.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I forgot the part of him wearing the surgical gloves but I think that is standard procedure for anyone handling evidence. I think they could have made an exception in this case. It's hard to put two gloves on the same hand.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-11-2024 at 10:55 AM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Had he passed away, say, 1992, I would have been very moved by the death of O.J. As a kid back in the '70s, Joe Willie and the Juice were my favorite football players. When I was playing football with the guys, I would emulate those two depending on what position I was playing. BTW, my favorite actor in The Towering Inferno was, yep, him, despite his limited thespian skills. IOW, he was a sports god to me.

Having said that, he didn't pass away in 1992 but in 2024, so I honestly don't care.

RIP Nicole and Ron
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Just got an alert that O.J. passed away yesterday at 76.
    He wont be missed.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Sad about Trina Robbins.

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Sad about Trina Robbins.

Now her passing is one that I do care about. Loved her Wonder Woman and Honey West contributions.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Had he passed away, say, 1992, I would have been very moved by the death of O.J. As a kid back in the '70s, Joe Willie and the Juice were my favorite football players. When I was playing football with the guys, I would emulate those two depending on what position I was playing. BTW, my favorite actor in The Towering Inferno was, yep, him, despite his limited thespian skills. IOW, he was a sports god to me.

Having said that, he didn't pass away in 1992 but in 2024, so I honestly don't care.

RIP Nicole and Ron
    Same. I grew up with him and his wholesome face in commercials, running through airports, and then in movies as a comedic fall guy. His influence as an African American in popular culture was unmatched at the time and his arrest and joke of a trial probably set back African Americans quite a ways in popular culture.

What the trial showed me, pretty much definitively, is that money manipulates justice.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Sad about Trina Robbins.

No! Didn't hear about this. She designed Vampirella's costume.
    Assassinate Putin!

Mighty Member

Sad about Trina Robbins.

Now that really is a shame.

Just got an alert that O.J. passed away yesterday at 76.
    I suppose he can rest easy knowing that his wife's killer is finally dead.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I suppose he can rest easy knowing that his wife's killer is finally dead.
    You win the internet for today!
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    You win the internet for today!
    My wife texted me that earlier, I'll have to forward the prize to her.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Those were his gloves, the ones he wore when he murdered Nicole and Ron. First, the judge allowed him to have surgical gloves on to "protect" the leather gloves. This made them harder to put on. Second, he was an actor, and his struggles to put them on was so much of an act, it should have been obvious he was faking.

That trial is responsible for OJs third murder- the TV show Gargoyles. Obviously a lesser loss than two actual human lives, the trial constantly preempting regular television spelled death to a show that required the audience staying engaged.
    Dark does not mean deep.