Page 109 of 243 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113119159209 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 3637

Thread: In Memoriam

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Alan Parker, Versatile Film Director, Is Dead at 76

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/31/m...ead-at-76.html
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    One of those actors who was always "old". He was actually younger in Cocoon than Tom Cruise in MI Rouge Nation or Brad Pitt in Once Upon A Time in Hollywood.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    One of those actors who was always "old". He was actually younger in Cocoon than Tom Cruise in MI Rouge Nation or Brad Pitt in Once Upon A Time in Hollywood.
    That's an interesting fact I did not know. As a diabetic myself, I tend to focus far more on his advocacy that I do his actual IMDB resume. He was one of the good ones.

That's an interesting fact I did not know. As a diabetic myself, I tend to focus far more on his advocacy that I do his actual IMDB resume. He was one of the good ones.
    Credit where it's due, the man's role in The Thing was always a seriously unsung gem.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Credit where it's due, the man's role in The Thing was always a seriously unsung gem.
    I was just going to mention the same film.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I was just going to mention the same film.
    Thus driving me to look for and watch this.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Yep, Mr. Brimley was perhaps the biggest public advocate for diabetes.

Diabeetus. RIP Wilford.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Alan Parker, Versatile Film Director, Is Dead at 76

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/31/m...ead-at-76.html
    This one is going to get largely overlooked, which is a shame. If nothing else, he directed The Wall and should be remembered for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    This one is going to get largely overlooked, which is a shame. If nothing else, he directed The Wall and should be remembered for that.
    Parker directed a number of notable films that I remember over the years. The Commitments was one that really stands out for me.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Absolutely. He directed a handful of great films. The Wall probably has the most cultural clout, though.

Computer scientist, pixel inventor Russell Kirsch dead at 91

Pixels, the digital dots used to display photos, video and more on phone and computer screens, weren't an obvious innovation in 1957, when Kirsch created a small, 2-by-2-inch black-and-white digital image of his son, Walden, as an infant. That was among the first images ever scanned into a computer, using a device created by his research team at the U.S. National Bureau of Standards (now the National Institutes of Science and Technology).

This work “laid the foundations for satellite imagery, CT scans, virtual reality and Facebook,"
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Crap, that's so sad.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Learned the news when I woke up this morning. Shocking as hell and very sad. And, in a case of cosmic irony, Mr. Boseman died on August 28th, the birthday of Jack Kirby who co-created the Black Panther.