Page 182 of 243 FirstFirst ... 82132172178179180181182183184185186192232 ... LastLast
Results 2,716 to 2,730 of 3638

Thread: In Memoriam

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    No one calls it that anymore. Thinking about it, Han Solo Airport might be a good one. In honor of that time Harrison Ford nearly killed himself and everyone one the much larger commercial liner who was taking off on the runway he mistakenly was trying to land at. FAA, take his license before HE winds up in this thread.
    Are you kidding, he did the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Are you kidding, he did the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs.
    This is true, but he was a bit younger then...

They can even replace the Wayne statue with one of Han shooting Greedo....FIRST!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I heard country music legend Loretta Lynn passed away today.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I heard country music legend Loretta Lynn passed away today.
    I just heard it too. Age 90.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I guess the first Loretta Lynn song I ever heard was either Love is the Foundation or Hey Loretta back in the '73, but Blue Kentucky Girl is the one that is my favorite of the numerous songs she performed and/or wrote.

Only Patsy and Dolly deserve to be placed before her as the greatest female country artist all-time, IMO.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I guess the first Loretta Lynn song I ever heard was either Love is the Foundation or Hey Loretta back in the '73, but Blue Kentucky Girl is the one that is my favorite of the numerous songs she performed and/or wrote.

Only Patsy and Dolly deserve to be placed before her as the greatest female country artist all-time, IMO.

RIP
    What I know about country music wouldn’t fill a thimble, but if you were to assemble a Mount Rushmore of female legends of the genre, I’d go with Loretta, Patsy, Dolly and Tammy Wynette.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    What I know about country music wouldn’t fill a thimble, but if you were to assemble a Mount Rushmore of female legends of the genre, I’d go with Loretta, Patsy, Dolly and Tammy Wynette.
    Hmmm... I would have to think the first great woman artist in country history, Kitty Wells, would have to be in it. Reba and Emmy Lou also have a considerable body of work that they have to be in the discussion. See, this is when I wish Mount Rushmore had a few more faces.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Fantastic Member

Hmmm... I would have to think the first great woman artist in country history, Kitty Wells, would have to be in it. Reba and Emmy Lou also have a considerable body of work that they have to be in the discussion. See, this is when I wish Mount Rushmore had a few more faces.
    There had only been about 30 presidents when the Rushmore monument was built. Since there are way more amazing country female singers than that, I think it's OK if you add a couple more!

Astonishing Member

Surely that Mount Rushmore should have room for Patsy Montana, who was the first female country singer to have a million-seller single (in 1935):

Astonishing Member

An extra mountain might be required to include the "second generation" of the Carter family, namely Mama Maybelle Carter and her daughters June (Bug), Helen, and Anita.

Well, no mountain degradation if you ask me… but naming airports is fine.
    Last edited by Zelena; 10-06-2022 at 09:14 PM.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

To show my ignorance of country music, THIS is the only work I know Reba McIntyre from, as Michael Gross' survivalist wife from Tremors:

Got an alert that Angela Lansbury, better known to generations of whodunit fans as Jessica Fletcher from Murder She Wrote passed away today at 96.

R.I.P. Angela Lansbury.
    Angela Lansbury, beloved star of ‘Murder, She Wrote,’ dead at 96
    By Brian Lowry, CNN
    Updated 4:12 PM EDT, Tue October 11, 2022

Angela Lansbury, who enjoyed an eclectic, award-winning movie and stage career in addition to becoming America’s favorite TV sleuth in “Murder, She Wrote,” has died, according to a statement from her family provided to NBC, whose parent company produced the long-running series. She was 96.

“The children of Dame Angela Lansbury are sad to announce that their mother died peacefully in her sleep at home in Los Angeles at 1:30 AM today, Tuesday, October 11, 2022, just five days shy of her 97th birthday,” her family said in a statement.

CNN has contacted representatives of Lansbury for comment.

Not yet 20 years old, Lansbury garnered her first Oscar nomination for her movie debut, “Gaslight,” in 1944. Her second came the next year for “The Portrait of Dorian Gray,” and again in 1962 as the mother who betrays her son and her country in “The Manchurian Candidate.” (She received Golden Globes for the latter two films.)

The actress accepted an honorary Oscar in 2013, to go with the five Tony Awards she collected over a 40-plus-year span – beginning with “Mame” in 1966, and finally for a revival of the Noel Coward play “Blithe Spirit” in 2009. Lansbury also amassed 11 Emmy nominations for her role as Jessica Fletcher in “Murder, She Wrote,” but never won.
    You can read more at https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/11/enter...ead/index.html

RIP
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.