Page 164 of 243 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164165166167168174214 ... LastLast
Results 2,446 to 2,460 of 3644

Thread: In Memoriam

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    OMG! There is no accolades that he does not deserve. He literally changed how comics were drawn. He also mentored many of the Bronze Age stars.
    Being my favorite all-time artist, I couldn't agree more. If you have a short list of great CB artists and his name not there, then there is something wrong. I was a big fan of Batman before I ever saw anything by Neal Adams, but it was his work that propelled him to #1.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...st-1235138106/

Legendary comic creator Neal Adams.
    Awww, damn!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Wish I could have met him and said thank you.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Neal Adams (along with Dennis O'Neill) essentially created the Bronze Age of DC Comics. RIP.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Wish I could have met him and said thank you.
    This, a thousand times, this.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I almost met him at C2E2 in Chicago in 2019 . I was at the Alex Ross display as I was walking the convention floor and I saw another large display for Neal Adams. Then I realized he was actually sitting there among his work. I wish I had gotten the nerve to talk to him but I have to admit I was not that familiar with his work other than when he did that run of the X-Men with Roy Thomas. He did far more work with DC and I'm not really into their world. I did get his mini series Fantastic Four Antithesis with Mark Waid but that came out in 2020.

Anyway, I did get his picture at C2E2. RIP to one of the giants.

Neal Adams was a real legend in the comic books. He was one of my favorite artists. I loved his work on X-Men, Batman and Green Lantern/Green Arrow.

Neal, thank you for giving us your wonderful masterpieces and rest in peace.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Just got an alert that Naomi Judd passed away today. Whoa!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

In hindsight, I think, the first Neal Adams comic I read was a German edition of the Ra's al Ghul story when a friend of my mom presented my brothers and me with a box of his old comics.

I was too young to remember the names (I'm not even sure Ehapa included those at that point), but I was still impressed by the art, even though I had read maybe a dozen 90s superhero comics at that point in time. I mean, just look at that cover, the details, the perspective, and that awesome Ra's in the background. I certainly knew it looked way better than most of the other comics in that box.

So, fast forward a few years, at age thirteen I had grown into quite a regular comics reader, and from editorials and letter pages I started to learn a few things about comic history, and that's when I learned and remembered the name Neal Adams as this guy who revolutionized superhero comics art. I eventually started to find his name credited in a few of those old comics from the 70s, and that's when I started being an admirer. One with limited access, though, here in Germany back in the 1990s. Reprints of his stuff were rare at the time, and most often too expensive for me to buy from my meager allowance.

But when I became an adult with a job (one that paid fairly well at the time), luck struck for me, and the German publisher for DC at the time released an over-sized hardcover with black & white reprints of his Batman stories. It wasn't cheap, but at that point, I could afford it. The cover was a simple blue faux-leather with an engraved Batman logo, the title "Batman" and the name "Neal Adams".

I still have it. And treasure it. Where else can you find oversized b&w representations of some of the best Batman artwork out there?

I later got a collection of his GL/GA-run with Denny O'Neil, a copy of his "Monsters" graphic novel, and even a "Neal Adams Sketchbook", and I don't get a lot of artbooks, mind you.

I maybe read an interview in Wizard, and of course, his own editorials for "Monsters" and the commentary in the Sketchbook. And with the coming of DVDs, there were suddenly bonus features on the superhero movie releases, including something on the comics, and suddenly, I had a face and a voice I could associate to the artist. I learned that, aside from comics, he had worked on production design for movies, like From Beyond.

And then came my man, Kevin Smith, and put up a six hour interview with Neal as part of his "Fatman on Batman" (now Fatman Beyond) podcast, and I learned to know about the man behind the art. He was such an amazing and fascinating man, a fantastic storyteller in conversation just as on the comics page. I learned how he got publishers to return the art to the artists, and how he fought for Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster to be recognized and, at least in some form, recompensated for the creation of Superman.

Kev has just put up a Supercut of the whole six hour interview session to stream or download. I'll listen to it again, this weekend.

In recent years, when reading his new comics for DC, I noticed that he maybe wasn't as good a writer as he was an artist. "Superman: The Coming of the Supermen" and "Batman vs. Ra's al Ghul" looked fantastic, but I think he had too many ideas he couldn't quite make them comprehensible. He also lacked talent in the matter of characerization. Which is why I was very happy to find out he'd do one more project, a Fantastic Four mini-series, with another writer, Mark Waid (who happens to be one of the best in his field, as well).

In recent years, collecting and reading Marvel's reprints of the old Conan comics, I've been quite happy to see that Neal worked on those from time to time, as well. Finding his art, especially on one of your favorite characters, is always a treat.

And ever since the ComicCon in Stuttgart started in 2016, I was hoping that, at some point, they'd get around to invite him, because I so much wanted to meet the man, and thank him, for his wonderful art that impressed me from a very young age, for his work building up new talents through his Crusty Bunker, talents like Howard Chaykin, Denys Cowan, Jim Starlin, Klaus Janson and so many others, and for his inspiring work for creators' rights.

Now, I'll never get to thank him in person. But I will always remain thankful.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Just got an alert that Naomi Judd passed away today. Whoa!
    Just saw that myself.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

I havnt been on here the last couple of days. But I did want to say that Neal Adams is hitting me hard. Just heard about his passing today. He was a legend. And he is one of the reasons I stayed sane in prison. We had an inter library loan service at our prison library where we could get books from outside libraries. I got many many Neal Adams trades. I worked in the library so my boss fudged the paper work and let me get 5 at a time and not the normal two. I would sit in my cell and get lost for hours in his work. he helped me through some very dark times. I wish I could have met him and told him how he helped me. He will be missed.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I wish I could have met him and told him how he helped me.
    I think that the only way we have to thank good people who are no longer with us is to do the good they are no longer able to do.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I think that the only way we have to thank good people who are no longer with us is to do the good they are no longer able to do.
    Well, that or go to pub and hoist a few in their honor. I prefer that method, as it jumpstarts the local economy, and results in a less thirsty public. I'm sure he'd approve.

Two-time Olympian Kenny Moore, who went on to write for Sports Illustrated, has passed away.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

This song by Timmy Thomas was very popular in Germany, it also was successfully covered by Sade a decade or so later. Timmy passed away at age 77.