Page 129 of 240 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139179229 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 3596

Thread: In Memoriam

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Wow! I thought he was older that that.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I look back fondly on Larry King's time at CNN. His easygoing, nonconfrontational style of interviewing endeared me to his show. And this was way back when cable news was more politically neutral. The middle-of-the-road approach he took with his job appealed to me greatly, however that style of interviewing has now passed and we live in a more cynical age. Which I lament.

2-time Super Bowl champion with the Denver Broncos, Tony Jones has passed away.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Astonishing Member

1950s pop singer Jimmie Rodgers has died at age 87. He had a couple of monster hits and some lesser ones, but a traffic accident in the 1960s left him with a cracked skull (he claimed it was when he was struck by a policeman, and the police claim he fell down drunk), and he suffered seizures thereafter that hastened the end of his singing career. His two big hits were "Honeycomb" and "Kisses Sweeter than Wine".

Last edited by seismic-2; 01-25-2021 at 08:19 PM.

Someone who's Name you probably don't know but who's work helped paved the way for better COVID Testing

Mourning the Death of Rutgers’ Andrew Brooks, a Leader in the Fight Against COVID-19

The pioneering researcher led the development of the first approved coronavirus saliva test

Andrew Brooks, 51, a research professor who led the creation of the first coronavirus saliva-based test, which received FDA emergency approval last spring and has played a significant role in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic, died unexpectedly on Saturday.

More than four million rapid response tests, which were the first approved for home use, have been performed since March, earning Brooks and his lab's pioneering work recognition in The New York Times, CNN and other national media outlets.

Gov. Phil Murphy recognized Brooks and his contribution to help stem the spread of COVID-19 in New Jersey and around the country, calling him “one of our state’s unsung heroes,’’ in his coronavirus press briefing on Monday. Murphy said the Rutgers COVID-19 test has “undoubtedly saved lives” as he praised the legacy Brooks leaves behind.

I’m so very saddened by this news. She was one of the funniest and most talented actors. I was lucky enough to meet her 10 or so years ago after seeing her one women show. She was signed my Young Frankenstein poster and couldn’t have been nicer. Such a huge loss.

Sad news.

Cloris once played Wonder Woman's mother (Queen Hippolyte) on the TV series Wonder Woman.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Boisterously Confused

Very sad. The "He.Vas.My.Boyfriend!" line is still among my all time favorites.

Astonishing Member

From the days when she was just starting out, and people had trouble remembering her unusual name (she said she was always being referred to as "Chlorox Bleachman"),

to her heart-wrenching and Oscar-winning performance in The Last Picture Show, she had a wonderful career. I suspect, however, that many people on a forum such as this one may remember her best from the Twilight Zone episode "It's a Good Life".

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

How sad. She was one of my favorite comediennes.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    From the days when she was just starting out, and people had trouble remembering her unusual name (she said she was always being referred to as "Chlorox Bleachman"),

to her heart-wrenching and Oscar-winning performance in The Last Picture Show, she had a wonderful career. I suspect, however, that many people on a forum such as this one may remember her best from the Twilight Zone episode "It's a Good Life".
    I know her from The Facts of Life as Mrs Garrett's sister. Now they are back together again.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    I suspect, however, that many people on a forum such as this one may remember her best from the Twilight Zone episode "It's a Good Life".
    Really? I don't remember that episode at all. I would think she's best remembered for being on THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW--but I actually enjoyed her more on her own spin-off show, PHYLLIS--where I think she really shined. I always liked how when she reached for something, she would lift one leg, like a dancer. A nice touch for her character. To this day, I still do that when I reach for something--as a tribute to her.

Before MARY TYLER MOORE, her big credit was being on LASSIE. AT least, in the old newspapers, this was always the credit they mentioned--as if that's what she would be known for to their readers.