Page 64 of 243 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114164 ... LastLast

Thread: In Memoriam

Woke up this morning to see Anthony Bourdain has died

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/an...bit/index.html
    DC: Aquaman, Batman, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman

Marvel: Ms. Marvel, Punisher, Daredevil

Image: Outcast, Bitch Planet, The Autumnlands, Black Magick, The Goddamned

Indies: Black, Insexts, Animosity, Alters, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Red Sonja

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Just heard that celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain has died, having committed suicide. He was 61.

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Just heard that celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain has died, having committed suicide. He was 61.

That is so sad, and so strange. Can't quite explain why, but there is something about it that just seems more out-of-focus than most suicides. RIP
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Mighty Member

****. This. Year.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    That is so sad, and so strange. Can't quite explain why, but there is something about it that just seems more out-of-focus than most suicides. RIP
    I kind of agree. It's like...what?

Though from our intrepid reporters at CBR: "Bourdain spoke unflinchingly about some of his fellow celebrity chefs, and about himself, openly discussing his former use of cocaine, heroin and LSD. A well-known drinker and smoker, he gave up the latter in 2007 with the birth of his daughter."

https://www.cbr.com/anthony-bourdain-dead-age-61/
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-08-2018 at 06:07 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Hall of Fame and St. Louis Cardinals Great, Red Schoendienst passes away at age 95.
    He played for and Manage the Cards.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-95/679677002/
    I used to know an old country geezer who thought his name was Red Shindig.

RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I think because it always seemed he wa one of the lucky ones, having a job doing something he loved.

I disagree.

It is horribly sad, tragic, and a huge loss for the entire world. But... Bourdain never hid that he was troubled. I was shocked when I read the news this morning, but I'd be a liar if I said I could have never seen this as a possible end for him.

It feels like the NYC 80s drug scene got Bourdain back then, he long tried his best to escape it and beat it, kinda did, but it finally claimed him with its after effects of depression and/or struggle in 2018.

(all idle speculation on my part given the simple reporting of his previous drug struggles and nothing yet much illuminating this suicide beyond that)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-08-2018 at 10:53 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Pretty tacky to speculate on why someone committed suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Pretty tacky to speculate on why someone committed suicide.
    I don't think so at all.

Clearly. You're wrong, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Clearly. You're wrong, though.
    No, I'm not. That's your opinion. It's quite normal for people to look for answers after tragedies.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-08-2018 at 08:09 AM.

BANNED

I don't know whether this applies to Spade or Bourdain, but I wonder whether there's any correlation between suicide in later life and personalities that seek sensual gratification. Or whether that's even been studied. Maybe it sometimes ends up seeming like a treadmill pursuit as a person ages.

According to the CDC, suicide rates in the USA have increased 25% since 1999.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...cdc/index.html