Page 52 of 243 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast

Thread: In Memoriam

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Roy Halladay, former Toronto Blue Jays pitching ace and Cy Young Award winner, in a plane accident. Gone far too soon.
    I hate to say it, but his untimely death probably sealed his HOF induction in the near future.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Karin Dor passed away on Monday at the age of 79. Internationally, she was best known for her appearances in "You Only Live Twice" and Alfred Hitchcock's "Topaz", as well as European productions like "Caroline Chérie" and "Los Monstruos del Terror". In Germany, she's best remembered for several roles in film adaptations of British crime novelist Edgar Wallace and German adventure novelist Karl May.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

For fans of Magnum P.I., some bad news, John Hillerman who played Higgins passed away at 84:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ushpmg00000009
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    For fans of Magnum P.I., some bad news, John Hillerman who played Higgins passed away at 84:

He was a big part of one of my favorite (if not #1) shows from the '80s, though he always was good in anything he did.

RIP

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    Keith Wilder, Singer of Acclaimed Funk Outfit Heatwave, Dead at 65
    Very sad to hear. I managed to see Keith along with Roy Carter perform some of their hits some 25 years ago at a Christian conference in the UK.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    Keith Wilder, Singer of Acclaimed Funk Outfit Heatwave, Dead at 65
    Legendary Philadelphia producer, songwriter and singer Bunny Sigler passed away, as well.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    He was a big part of one of my favorite (if not #1) shows from the '80s, though he always was good in anything he did.

RIP
    I always found Hillerman very entertaining as that snobbish kind of guy when he was on One Day at a Time as "M S Romano's" boss. IIRC he always pronounced the letters M and the S separately and not as one word. And of course his Higgins the somewhat eccentric butler on Magnum P.I was good too.
    You can always tell a performer that started on the stage because of the voice is a very important tool in their arsenal.

Not to be morbid but I thought he may have died and I just never read about it. His IMDB entries stop at 1996.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post

RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I always found Hillerman very entertaining as that snobbish kind of guy when he was on One Day at a Time as "M S Romano's" boss. IIRC he always pronounced the letters M and the S separately and not as one word. And of course his Higgins the somewhat eccentric butler on Magnum P.I was good too.
    You can always tell a performer that started on the stage because of the voice is a very important tool in their arsenal.

Not to be morbid but I thought he may have died and I just never read about it. His IMDB entries stop at 1996.
    That's a shame.

He was such an integral part of the series. Magnum, Higgins and the car. My brother and I used to watch it on Sunday afternoons as that's when it aired on TV in the UK, IIRC.

Not my favourite, but amongst my favourites which included Starsky & Hutch, The Incredible Hulk, Cagney & Lacy, Hill Street Blues,, Fawlty Towers, amongst others.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    That's a shame.

He was such an integral part of the series. Magnum, Higgins and the car. My brother and I used to watch it on Sunday afternoons as that's when it aired on TV in the UK, IIRC.

Not my favourite, but amongst my favourites which included Starsky & Hutch, The Incredible Hulk, Cagney & Lacy, Hill Street Blues,, Fawlty Towers, amongst others.
    Except for Starsky and Hutch, I watched all of those too.

At one time by brother's inlaws (first wife) lived across the road from David Soul in the Hollywood Hills. My brother's father in law worked for Disney as an architechural designer (retired) I stayed at their house and they pointed at his driveway, which was across from theirs. You can't see the homes from the road though. Down the street was Juliet Mills, sister of Hayley and star of Nanny and the Professor. Her home you could see from the road.

Higgins was like the American version of Alfred. RIP, good sir!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Liz Smith, Longtime Queen of Tabloid Gossip Columns, Dies at 94

From hardscrabble nights writing snippets for a Hearst newspaper in the 1950s to golden afternoons at Le Cirque with Sinatra or Hepburn and tête-à-tête dinners with Madonna to gather material for columns that ran six days a week, Ms. Smith captivated millions with her tattletale chitchat and, over time, ascended to fame and wealth that rivaled those of the celebrities she covered.

A self-effacing, good-natured, vivacious Texan who professed to be awed by celebrities, Ms. Smith was the antithesis of the brutal columnist J. J. Hunsecker in Clifford Odets and Ernest Lehman’s screenplay for “Sweet Smell of Success,” which portrayed sinister power games in a seamy world of press agents and nightclubs.

Her column, called simply “Liz Smith,” ran in The Daily News from 1976 to 1991; in New York Newsday from 1991 to 1995, when that newspaper closed; continued in Newsday until 2005; and, with some overlap, in The New York Post from 1995 to 2009 — a 33-year run that morphed onto the internet in the New York Social Diary. It was syndicated for years in 60 to 70 other newspapers, even as she appeared on television news and entertainment programs and wrote magazine articles and books.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

It's funny, we got the New York Daily News when I was a kid, but I thought she was in the paper years before '76. Oh, well. She was also on WNBC as their gossip columnist for decades.

RIP

It's funny, we got the New York Daily News when I was a kid, but I thought she was in the paper years before '76. Oh, well. She was also on WNBC as their gossip columnist for decades.

RIP
    Yeah, that's how I remember her as well. I've never been a fan of 'gossip' news, but she was very likeable. Like a favorite Aunt who talked about other people and enjoyed doing it. RIP
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Yeah, that's how I remember her as well. I've never been a fan of 'gossip' news, but she was very likeable. Like a favorite Aunt who talked about other people and enjoyed doing it. RIP
    Yeah, while I also have never really cared for gossip news, I did read her column years ago.

Yeah, while I also have never really cared for gossip news, I did read her column years ago.
    I think I recall reading some too but she was at some point dropped from the Chicago papers. Not too many papers employ this kind of columnist anymore. I think she was probably the most respected as opposed to a Perez Hilton or other internet based stuff.