Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
Glenn Corbett's Zephram Cochrane seemed almost alien to me. But that entire episode is an oddball. The Companion saved his life, and obviously is very protective Cochrane, but he flies into an unholy rage the moment he realizes that it loves him. Only to do a complete about face five minutes later when it possesses a lovely human woman.

Not to mention how everyone suddenly blows off the ultra-important peace-keeping mission at the end and, after an entire episode of trying to save her, suddenly care not a whit that Hedford is basically dead now. They just all figure that things will work out fine and fly off.
It's not the best episode, but it's certainly not the worst (Where in the world is Spock's brain?!!) Corbett seemed lost in character. I usually like him, but not his finest acting moment here.

I give TNG a lot of grief and still prefer TOS, but man TOS has some real clinkers.
At their best, those two shows were great. At their worst, however (the last season of TOS was hit and miss while the first season of TNG was really bad and the second season was a mixed bag), they stunk up the joint. While maybe not with the same highs, Deep Space Nine was consistently good from beginning to end, IMO.