Page 83 of 243 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793133183 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 3638

Thread: In Memoriam

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    It's definitely going to put a new spin on May the 4th this year
    And May 4th is Free Comic Book Day this year, too.

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Aww, damn!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Roger Moore passed away two years ago. It's apparently a social media hiccup that made his old obituary a trending topic again.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Roger Moore passed away two years ago. It's apparently a social media hiccup that made his old obituary a trending topic again.
    True, and I apologize for re-posting it. But I wanted to remember him again anyway.

So I guess we have to go with "Roger Moore is still dead".
    But we're not talking "Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead" territory.

(Of course, I'm so old I actually remember that bit from SNL . . . )

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    So I guess we have to go with "Roger Moore is still dead".
    But we're not talking "Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead" territory.

(Of course, I'm so old I actually remember that bit from SNL . . . )
    It was my bad for not checking the date on the article. I need to work on my power of observation.

Jim Fowler, of “Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom,” has passed.
    Jim Fowler, intrepid host of ‘Wild Kingdom’ nature series, dies at 89
    By Harrison Smith - May 9 at 7:28 PM
    He was charged by a herd of 200 elephants, escaping only with the help of a flatbed truck, and was once knocked unconscious by a surly chimpanzee named Mr. Moke who punched him “square between the eyes.” But neither incident compared to the time a 22-foot anaconda swallowed his arm, up to the shoulder.
    “Luckily,” said Jim Fowler, the longtime co-host of “Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom,” “I knew what to do.” As the indigenous tribe gathered around him fled the scene, Mr. Fowler remained calm, waiting for the anaconda to tire itself out before he wriggled out of its grasp and returned to work, preparing for another episode of “Wild Kingdom.”
    For more than two decades, Mr. Fowler brought the wonders of the natural world to millions of couch-bound Americans, mixing entertainment and ad*ven*ture with storytelling that raised awareness of the planet’s biological diversity and environmental woes. He was 89 and had a heart ailment when he died May 8 at his home in Rowayton, Conn., said his son, Mark Fowler.
    You can read the rest at https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/jim-fowler-longtime-host-of-wild-kingdom-nature-series-dies-at-87

Brill Building singer Lou Johnson has died.

In 1964, Lou recorded the original version of ‘(There's) Always Something There to Remind Me’ (later recorded by Dionne Warwick, Sandie Shaw and many others.)

He went on to record the original versions of several other Burt Bacharach and Hal David songs.

These included ‘Reach Out for Me’ and ‘Message to Michael (Kentucky Bluebird)’ (originally ‘A Message to Martha’),

R.I.P. actress Peggy Lipton.

Actress Peggy Lipton, star of ‘The Mod Squad’ and ‘Twin Peaks,’ dies at 72
    By Josh Rottenberg - May 11, 2019 | 6:10 PM

Actress and former model Peggy Lipton, who rose to stardom in the late 1960s on the counterculture police series “The Mod Squad” and later starred on TV’s “Twin Peaks,” has died. She was 72.
    Her death from cancer was announced Saturday by Kidada and Rashida Jones, her daughters from a marriage to famed music producer Quincy Jones.
    You can read the rest here: https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...511-story.html

R.I.P. Doris Day.

Doris Day dies; legendary actress and singer was 97
    By Valerie J. Nelson - May 13, 2019 | 6:00 AM

Doris Day, a leading box office star of the mid-20th century who achieved indelible fame in big-screen bedroom farces and put a sunny face on the working woman in postwar America, has died. She was 97.
    The Doris Day Animal Foundation confirmed Day died early Monday at her Carmel Valley, Calif., home. The foundation said she was surrounded by close friends.
    "Day had been in excellent physical health for her age, until recently contracting a serious case of pneumonia, resulting in her death," the foundation said in an emailed statement.
    A former big-band singer and recording star who walked away from Hollywood in the early 1970s, Day had spent most of the last years in her beloved Carmel, where she was an outspoken animal rights activist.
    You can read more here: https://www.latimes.com/local/obitua...513-story.html

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

R.I.P. Doris Day.

You can read more here: https://www.latimes.com/local/obitua...513-story.html
    With the possible exception of Mary Pickford, she was the most popular actress of them all. She owned the '50s and '60s among her gender. Despite all of that, she was a good actress from the start who only got better.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    With the possible exception of Mary Pickford, she was the most popular actress of them all. She owned the '50s and '60s among her gender. Despite all of that, she was a good actress from the start who only got better.
    Not to mention a great singer before that.

Her rendition of "Sentimental Journey" with Les Brown & his Orchestra was a 1940s / WWII-era classic.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I recall how when Doris Day's long time husband/manager Marty Melcher died, she was shocked to find out he lost all the millions she made plus left her in debt because he made some poor investments. That's why she ended up working in TV, he made a deal just before he died to recoup some of the losses. She sued his business partner after finding out.

Police investigations surmised that her son Terry Melcher (by her first husband) was the real target that Charles Manson was looking to kill since he lived at the address where the killings happened at the time Melcher had auditioned Manson. Melcher sold the house and then it was rented to Roman Polanski and Sharon Tate. Her son had some success in the music industry working on the staff of Columbia records with artists like The Byrds, Glen Campbell, the Mamas and the Pappas and the Beach Boys. He co-wrote their hit Kokomo. Terry Melcher died in 2004
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-13-2019 at 08:21 AM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Not to mention a great singer before that.

Her rendition of "Sentimental Journey" with Les Brown & his Orchestra was a 1940s / WWII-era classic.
    Indeed. When she had a good song to sing, she did an excellent job with it.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?