Page 142 of 243 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146152192242 ... LastLast
Results 2,116 to 2,130 of 3638

Thread: In Memoriam

I didn't even know Daniel Boone and Kit Carson were married!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Was just looking over his IMDB page because you mentioned he was in Ghost of Frankenstein. I didn't realize he was a child actor.
    Yeah, I didn't know about it myself until this century. It's always a little weird when you discover someone you have only known as an adult acting in a juvenile role like teenage David Janssen in a Forties film or Laramie's John Smith as one of the choirboys in Going My Way. Having said that, finding out that the cute little kid in Charlie Chaplin's The Kid grew up to be Uncle Fester still doesn't compute.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yeah, I didn't know about it myself until this century. It's always a little weird when you discover someone you have only known as an adult acting in a juvenile role like teenage David Janssen in a Forties film or Laramie's John Smith as one of the choirboys in Going My Way. Having said that, finding out that the cute little kid in Charlie Chaplin's The Kid grew up to be Uncle Fester still doesn't compute.
    Or that Uncle Fester was married to pin-up queen Betty Grable for a couple of years!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Or that Uncle Fester was married to pin-up queen Betty Grable for a couple of years!
    Heh. Even young, thin, and with all of his hair, Jackie Coogan still seems like a strange match for the most popular (and leggiest) actress of the Forties.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Heh. Even young, thin, and with all of his hair, Jackie Coogan still seems like a strange match for the most popular (and leggiest) actress of the Forties.
    They married in 1937 and divorced in 1939, which was around the time when Coogan had taken legal action against his mother and step father who had squandered away most of his earnings as a child actor that his late father had put into a bank account. Betty Grable really wouldn't become a big star until she was catapulted by that famous poster in WWII

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Well, the entry was vague about that part. I assume each parent represented a different branch of ancestors.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    They married in 1937 and divorced in 1939, which was around the time when Coogan had taken legal action against his mother and step father who had squandered away most of his earnings as a child actor that his late father had put into a bank account. Betty Grable really wouldn't become a big star until she was catapulted by that famous poster in WWII
    Grable was indeed not a big deal during the Thirties, but she was already a top-15 box-office star by 1941 and the top female draw the following year (just edging out Greer Garson and Dorothy Lamour). By the time the iconic poster was available to the troops in '43, she was #1 at the box office. I have no doubt the image helped her, but she would have been a major attraction regardless.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Robson Rocha Has Died From Coronavirus, RIP

Last week, Brazilian comic book artist Robson Rocha was hospitalised, at the Eduardo de Menezes Hospital, diagnosed as struggling with COVID-19. Friends of his were organising donations both of blood and money, to help him out. However, today we learned that he had passed away from a coronavirus infection. Yildiray Cinar posted "So sorry to learn that Robson Rocha left us today. RIP Robson. So young and early… My condolences to his family, his loved ones and all his fans" and many other comic creators across the world followed suit.

Robson Rocha had been working for DC Comics over the last ten years, including on Lobo, Sinestro, Birds of Prey, Superboy, Batman/Superman, Earth 2, Supergirl, Green Lanterns and the most recent revamp of Aquaman with Kelly Sue DeConnick.
    May he rest in peace
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Former wrestler Paul "Mr. Wonderful" Orndorff has passed away.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It was a shotgun wedding.

[I'm here all day, folks, try the fish]
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Charlie Robinson, veteran actor on 'Night Court' and 'Buffalo Bill,' dies at 75: Reports

Charlie Robinson, a veteran actor best known for playing court clerk Mac Robinson on the NBC sitcom "Night Court" and makeup artist Newdell on NBC's "Buffalo Bill," reportedly died Sunday at age 75.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

OH, SNAP! This one flew under my radar. Biz Markie, the ‘Clown Prince of Hip-Hop,’ Dead at 57
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Longtime ZZ Top bassist Dusty Hill passed away today at 72:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/28/enter...bit/index.html
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Infomercial king Ron Popeil has passed away.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Infomercial king Ron Popeil has passed away.
    Nooooo....not Mr. Popeil!
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.