Page 86 of 243 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096136186 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 3637

Thread: In Memoriam

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Man, that's the recipe for divorce court right there!
    Actually, they were still happily married (and with children) over 20 years later when last I heard about them.

Also worth noting: I use to work at the same radio station (I was part-time) in Bridgeport, CT with a guy named "Bill Buchner", but his last name is pronounced the same way as "Buckner".

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    As someone who considers 1986 to be my favorite year in baseball (yes, I'm a Mets fan ), Buckner got a lot of unfair crap about that ground ball between his (injured) legs during the WS. He certainly deserves to be remembered for a fine, long career instead of that miscue.

RIP
    Agreed. If game six was in Fenway, Buckner would’ve been the DH because he had zero business being in the field because of his bad knees (were late game defensive replacements an unknown concept to managers in 1986?). Yeah, it’s a shame, and it’s wrong that his tremendous career was defined by that one play.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 05-28-2019 at 01:45 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Actually, they were still happily married (and with children) over 20 years later when last I heard about them.
    Glad to hear it, Major!
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Just realized nobody posted this yet:
    Singer Leon Redbone Dies at 69
    By Jem Aswad and Chris Willman

Singer-songwriter Leon Redbone, who specialized in old-school vaudeville and Tin Pan Alley-style music, died Thursday, his family confirmed. No cause of death was given for the notoriously private performer. He was 69, although, in characteristically deadpan fashion, the official statement announcing his death gave his age as 127.
    Although Redbone’s pop-defying predilection for seemingly antiquated musical styles of the ’20s and ’30s made him the unlikeliest of stars, he became one anyway, appearing several times as the musical guest on “Saturday Night Live” — including two spots in the inaugural 1975-76 season alone — and landing frequent appearances with Johnny Carson on “The Tonight Show” into the 1980s. Later popular successes had him singing the themes for TV’s “Mr. Beledevere” and “Harry and the Hendersons,” along with contributing a duet of “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” with Zooey Deschanel to the soundtrack of “Elf,” for which he also voiced the animated character of Leon the Snowman.
    You can read the rest here:
    https://variety.com/2019/music/news/...69-1203229012/
    Or check out his website: https://www.leonredbone.com/news

R.I.P. Leon Redbone.

I thought Redbone to be older than 69. Sad he is gone.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Redbone had a unique style that was fun to imitate when I was a kid. In fact, it still is.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

R.I.P. musician "Dr. John".
    Dr. John, Hall of Fame Singer Who Brought New Orleans to the World, Dead at 77
    By Andy Greene
    Dr. John, the New Orleans pianist who fused funk with R&B and boogie woogie, died Thursday at the age of 77. The cause of death was a heart attack, his family revealed in a statement.
    “Towards the break of day on June 6, 2019, iconic music legend Malcolm John Rebennack, Jr., professionally known as Dr. John, passed away of a heart attack,” his family said in a statement. “As a Rock N Roll Hall of Fame inductee, six-time Grammy winner, songwriter, composer, producer and performer, he created a unique blend of music which carried his hometown, New Orleans, at its heart, as it was always in his heart. The family thanks all whom have shared his unique musical journey, and requests privacy at this time. Memorial arrangements will be arranged in due course.”
    Although best known for his 1970s solo work and radio hits like “Right Place, Wrong Time,” Rebennack was a key part of the “Wrecking Crew” stable of ace Los Angeles session musicians in the 1960s and played on recordings by Cher, Aretha Franklin, Canned Heat, Frank Zappa and countless others. He began putting out his own records in 1968 with the release of Gris-Gris. It was the beginning of his larger-than-life, Dr. John Creaux the Night Tripper character. He incorporated elements of voodoo into his outrageous stage show and quickly grew a large following, introducing much of America to New Orleans music.
    You can read more here:

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    R.I.P. musician "Dr. John".
    May the gris-gris man walk on gilded splinters forever.

A music legend no doubt.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

R.I.P. former Mouseketeer Dennis Day.
    Body found at Oregon house identified as missing Disney Mouseketeer Dennis Day
    Maria Puente, USA TODAY - Published 9:06 p.m. ET June 6, 2019 | Updated 8:20 a.m. ET June 7, 2019
    A body found in April at the Oregon home of Dennis Day, an original Disney Mouseketeer who disappeared 11 months ago, has been identified as the missing man, state police said Thursday.
    The human remains found at Day's Phoenix, Oregon, home were identified by the Oregon State Medical Examiner's office, although they were unable to use dental records or DNA because of the condition of the remains, according to a press release from the Oregon State Police.
    There was no word on the cause of death, nor whether it was the result of foul play or accident. The state police investigation remains ongoing, the press release said.
    You can read more here: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ed/3428263002/

Last edited by MajorHoy; 06-07-2019 at 06:52 PM.

Looks like Bushwick Bill may have passed over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Looks like Bushwick Bill may have passed over the weekend.
    I had never heard of the gentleman before (at least as far as I can remember).
    Geto Boys Rapper Bushwick Bill Dead at 52
    Houston hip-hop icon succumbs to pancreatic cancer

- By Daniel Kreps - June 9, 2019 11:54AM ET

Bushwick Bill, a member of the Houston rap trio Geto Boys, has died at the age of 52. The rapper born Richard Shaw recently revealed that he had been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer.
    “Bushwick Bill passed away peacefully this evening at 9:35 p.m. He was surrounded by his immediate family,” the rapper’s publicist Dawn P. tells Rolling Stone. “There were incorrect previous reports that he had passed away this morning. We are looking into doing a public memorial at a later date. His family appreciates all of the prayers and support and are asking for privacy at this time.”
    You can read the rest here: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ituary-846047/

R.I.P. director Franco Zeffirelli.
    “Romeo and Juliet” director Franco Zeffirelli dies at 96
    By COLLEEN BARRY - June 16, 2019
    ROME (AP) — Italian director Franco Zeffirelli, who delighted audiences around the world with his romantic vision and extravagant productions, most famously captured in his cinematic “Romeo and Juliet” and the miniseries “Jesus of Nazareth,” died Saturday at 96.
    While Zeffirelli was most popularly known for his films, his name was also inextricably linked to the theater and opera. He produced classics for the world’s most famous opera houses, from Milan’s venerable La Scala to the Metropolitan Opera in New York, and plays for London and Italian stages.
    Zeffirelli’s son Luciano said his father died at home in Rome.
    You can read more here:

R.I.P. Gloria Vanderbilt.
    (Among other things, Anderson Cooper's mother.)

Gloria Vanderbilt dead at age 95: 'What an extraordinary woman,' son Anderson Cooper says
    Maria Puente, USA TODAY - Published 10:19 a.m. ET June 17, 2019 | Updated 10:56 a.m. ET June 17, 2019

Gloria Vanderbilt, a woman famed from birth as the last of a Gilded Age clan of millionaires, as the subject of a toxic 1934 child custody trial, as an early inventor of designer jeans, and lately as the mother of CNN's Anderson Cooper, has died.
    She was 95, Cooper confirmed in an on-air obituary Monday.
    "Gloria Vanderbilt was an extraordinary woman, who loved life, and lived it on her own terms," Cooper said in a statement. "She was a painter, a writer, and designer but also a remarkable mother, wife, and friend. She was 95 years old, but ask anyone close to her, and they'd tell you, she was the youngest person they knew, the coolest, and most modern."
    Over nine decades, most of them in the public eye and sometimes not in a good way, Vanderbilt's storied name could have been followed by any number of epithets ranging from sad little Gloria to shy young beauty. She was, by turns and sometimes at the same time, an artist, author, actress, fashion model, designer, creative force, philanthropist, lover and socialite.
    You can read more here:

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I don't know if she was still earning from her brand name jeans but I still have a pair. I recall watching a mini series of the book about her early life, Little Gloria: Happy at Last.

R.I.P Gloria.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-17-2019 at 04:10 PM.