Page 105 of 243 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 3637

Thread: In Memoriam

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Oh my....haven't turned on the TV yet. He was an icon of the rock n' roll genre. What a great sense of humor he had, particularly about himself. I recall an interview he gave once about how he was getting irritated that the bland Pat Boone would do covers of his hits and chart higher. But this was a while back and I've not found a video of it. But IIRC it was not with bitterness that he told the story but with a wicked sense of humor about it. RIP Little Richard, you are a giant in rock n' roll music

Here's a reference about the Pat Boone covers from Rolling Stone

I can't think of any reason why I would want a Pat Boone cover of a Little Richard song.
    The Beatles covered “Long Tall Sally” with Paul McCartney on lead vocals. I could imagine Paul with a mile high pompadour, wearing a shiny suit and banging away on a piano while singing that song.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The Beatles covered “Long Tall Sally” with Paul McCartney on lead vocals. I could imagine Paul with a mile high pompadour, wearing a shiny suit and banging away on a piano while singing that song.
    In their last tour before Freddie Mercury died, Queen included Tutti Frutti in a medley of golden oldies like Hello, Mary Lou (Ricky Nelson) and Elvis's "Baby You're So Square" sort of paying tribute to the guys that came before them.

There are a ton of tributes on Twitter.....I forgot Little Richard appeared on PeeWee's Playhouse!

I wish I knew how to embed some of the other tweets here but I don't think they accept the html coding in posts.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-09-2020 at 12:34 PM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Man, this is a huge loss. I have heard songs like Good Golly Miss Molly or The Girl Can't Help It countless times, yet they still do it for me. My box set of his Specialty recordings is one of my prized possessions, too.

My mother saw him at one of the earliest Alan Freed shows in the NYC area circa 1956. She recalls him being easily the wildest one of the performers and that he seemed like a space alien compared to the others. To have seem him at the peak of his popularity... yeah, I'm jealous.

Not many left of the founders of rock 'n' roll now...

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Man, this is a huge loss. I have heard songs like Good Golly Miss Molly or The Girl Can't Help It countless times, yet they still do it for me. My box set of his Specialty recordings is one of my prized possessions, too.

My mother saw him at one of the earliest Alan Freed shows in the NYC area circa 1956. She recalls him being easily the wildest one of the performers and that he seemed like a space alien compared to the others. To have seem him at the peak of his popularity... yeah, I'm jealous.

Not many left of the founders of rock 'n' roll now...

RIP
    Yeah, Chuck Berry passed away in 2017. I think Little Richard may have been the last of them?

Extraordinary Member

TIL that Little Richard sang the Magic School Bus theme song

Yeah, Chuck Berry passed away in 2017. I think Little Richard may have been the last of them?
    Wanda Jackson, Don Everly, and Jerry Lee Lewis are still around

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Little Richard has his picture taken with some obscure foursome in Hamburg in 1962:

B80B034B-C3BC-411F-83C9-00E5CD0B98AB.jpg
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Little Richard has his picture taken with some obscure foursome in Hamburg in 1962:

B80B034B-C3BC-411F-83C9-00E5CD0B98AB.jpg
    He did enjoy the company of lads, even though his upbringing and society made him struggle with it all his life.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Wanda Jackson, Don Everly, and Jerry Lee Lewis are still around
    Lloyd Price, too.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Betty Wright, the Miami Queen of Soul, has passed away, only 66 years old.

She started her career as a teenager, and her early hits like Cleanup Woman or Tonight's the Night were later often sampled by hip hop and R&B artists.
    She was one of the first artists to start her own independent record label, and the first female artist ever to have a gold record on a self-owned indie label, with Mother Wit in 1988.

In recent years, she worked as a vocal coach for the likes of Joss Stone and had a comeback album with The Roots as backing band.

She was 17 when she wrote and recorded this.
    Last edited by PaulBullion; 05-10-2020 at 08:51 AM.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Jerry Stiller passed away at 92.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai "the spy" View Post

Jerry Stiller passed away at 92.
    What a long a varied career he had. I was watching the original 1974 version of The Taking of Pelham 123 and he had a supporting role in that. He and wife Anne Meara were a comedy team for a long time. RIP "Frank"

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Rest in Peace, Yogi Berra.
    Nobody stays on the Earth anymore. It's too crowded.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes, and while other symptoms such as chills, chills with shaking, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, change in taste or smell were present, they just now got added to the list. I also read about "Corona Toes".
    I got exposed to Rabies and had to go to the ER 4 times in the middle of this Plague. It was like going into the belly of the beast. I hope I didn't catch Covid, time will tell, it's just that Rabies is 100% lethal unless you get immediate treatment and Covid is like 5% or 1% lethal depending on what day of the week it is. Anyhow the nurse was trying to figure out if I had Covid before letting me into the ER. She went through a litany of the symptoms but said one I had not heard of. Falling down. Apparently some people fall down with Covid.

I sure hope the scientists finally get this puzzle of the Coronavirus solved. You hear all kinds of rumors, like their was some testing being done to figure out a cure in a lab in China and some of the workers got contaminated, etc. Or it mutated in the lab, etc. All sorts of wild theories out there.

All sorts of wild theories out there.
    Why give them more bandwidth here? They are Trumpian conspiracies.

Hillary was right!