Page 90 of 91 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091 LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 1362

Thread: In Memoriam

R.I.P. I.M. Pei (at age 102):
    I.M. Pei, Master Architect Whose Buildings Dazzled the World, Dies at 102
    By Paul Goldberger - May 16, 2019

I. M. Pei, who began his long career designing buildings for a New York real estate developer and ended it as one of the most revered architects in the world, died early Thursday at his home in Manhattan. He was 102.
    His death was confirmed by his son Li Chung Pei, who is also an architect and known as Sandi. He said his father had recently celebrated his birthday with a family dinner.
    Best known for designing the East Building of the National Gallery of Art in Washington and the glass pyramid at the entrance to the Louvre in Paris, Mr. Pei was one of the few architects who were equally attractive to real estate developers, corporate chieftains and art museum boards (the third group, of course, often made up of members of the first two). And all of his work — from his commercial skyscrapers to his art museums — represented a careful balance of the cutting edge and the conservative.
    You can read the rest here: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/16/o...-pei-dead.html

By the way, also was the architect for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland, Ohio.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/16/a...?module=inline

R.I.P. "Grumpy Cat".

Grumpy Cat has died. The Internet-famous feline with the perpetually miserable mug was 7.
    By J. Freedom du Lac, Allyson Chiu and Lindsey Bever - May 17 at 9:08 AM

“Some days are grumpier than others,” the Instagram caption read.
    It appeared next to a photo of the Internet’s most famous and beloved cat, the one with the perpetually miserable mug.
    But this was no ordinary post Friday morning on @realgrumpycat, the wildly popular Instagram account with more than 2.4 million followers, who have grown to adore the cat’s perma-scowl.
    Grumpy Cat’s owners had come to share some extremely news:
    Grumpy Cat is dead.
    The “grumpy” cat, whose real name was Tardar Sauce, died on Tuesday of complications from a urinary tract infection.
    She was 7.
    You can read more about the feline's rise to fame and other stuff here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.8ea7edabd708

Aww my favorite feline dwarf, farewell.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    R.I.P. I.M. Pei (at age 102):
    You can read the rest here: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/16/o...-pei-dead.html

By the way, also was the architect for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland, Ohio.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/16/a...?module=inline
    Another famous centenarian now gone today - Herman Wouk: https://apnews.com/1ee28153a1e54f52a516352171c7f41d

RIP to both men.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Green Bay Packers legend Bart Starr has passed away:

https://www.packers.com/news/packers...arr-dies-at-85
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

A legend he certainly was!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

R.I.P. MLB legend Bill Buckner.
    Former Red Sox First Baseman Bill Buckner Dies At 69
    May 27, 2019·6:21 PM ET

Being remembered for a mistake is hard. Being the living symbol of 86 years of futility is just about impossible.
    But that's exactly what Bill Buckner was to Boston Red Sox fans for nearly 20 years.
    Buckner, an All-Star and Gold Glove baseball player who played in the major leagues for 22 years, died Monday. He was 69.
    "After battling the disease of Lewy Body Dementia, Bill Buckner passed away early the morning of May 27th surrounded by his family," according to a statement from his family shared by the Red Sox. "Bill fought with courage and grit as he did all things in life. Our hearts are broken but we are at peace knowing he is in the arms of his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."
    Buckner built up an impressive record as a player, with more than 1,000 runs scored during his career. He was an All-Star in 1981 while playing for the Chicago Cubs. But Buckner found it hard to shake a mistake he made during game six of the 1986 World Series against the New York Mets.
    The Sox had a two-run lead, and were one strike away from winning their first World Series championship since 1918. But the Mets clawed back from the brink to tie the game in the 10th inning. With a runner on second base, a base hit would give the Mets the win and force a game seven.
    It turns out they only needed the most famous error in baseball history.
    Mets player Mookie Wilson hit a grounder toward first base — as the announcer called it, "a little roller up along first." Buckner ran toward the ball, took a wide stance, reached down to scoop it up — and the ball rolled right between his legs.
    You can read more here: https://www.npr.org/2019/05/27/72735...ner-dies-at-69

R.I.P. MLB legend Bill Buckner.
    You can read more here: https://www.npr.org/2019/05/27/72735...ner-dies-at-69
    As someone who considers 1986 to be my favorite year in baseball (yes, I'm a Mets fan ), Buckner got a lot of unfair crap about that ground ball between his (injured) legs during the WS. He certainly deserves to be remembered for a fine, long career instead of that miscue.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Green Bay Packers legend Bart Starr has passed away:

https://www.packers.com/news/packers...arr-dies-at-85
    Not the best QB of his time, but just because he wasn't Johnny U doesn't mean he wasn't great.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    As someone who considers 1986 to be my favorite year in baseball (yes, I'm a Mets fan ), Buckner got a lot of unfair crap about that ground ball between his (injured) legs during the WS. He certainly deserves to be remembered for a fine, long career instead of that miscue.

RIP
    My memories of that World Series are of a Yankees fan who didn't really watch the games, but I was sharing a house with a few other people from work, including a married couple where she (originally from Long Island) was a Mets fan and he (originally from Maine) was a Red Sox fan.

My memories of that World Series are of a Yankees fan who didn't really watch the games, but I was sharing a house with a few other people from work, including a married couple where she (originally from Long Island) was a Mets fan and he (originally from Maine) was a Red Sox fan.
    Man, that's the recipe for divorce court right there!

Man, that's the recipe for divorce court right there!
    Actually, they were still happily married (and with children) over 20 years later when last I heard about them.

Also worth noting: I use to work at the same radio station (I was part-time) in Bridgeport, CT with a guy named "Bill Buchner", but his last name is pronounced the same way as "Buckner".

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

RIP
    Agreed. If game six was in Fenway, Buckner would’ve been the DH because he had zero business being in the field because of his bad knees (were late game defensive replacements an unknown concept to managers in 1986?). Yeah, it’s a shame, and it’s wrong that his tremendous career was defined by that one play.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 05-28-2019 at 01:45 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Actually, they were still happily married (and with children) over 20 years later when last I heard about them.
    Glad to hear it, Major!

Just realized nobody posted this yet:
    Singer Leon Redbone Dies at 69
    By Jem Aswad and Chris Willman

Singer-songwriter Leon Redbone, who specialized in old-school vaudeville and Tin Pan Alley-style music, died Thursday, his family confirmed. No cause of death was given for the notoriously private performer. He was 69, although, in characteristically deadpan fashion, the official statement announcing his death gave his age as 127.
    Although Redbone’s pop-defying predilection for seemingly antiquated musical styles of the ’20s and ’30s made him the unlikeliest of stars, he became one anyway, appearing several times as the musical guest on “Saturday Night Live” — including two spots in the inaugural 1975-76 season alone — and landing frequent appearances with Johnny Carson on “The Tonight Show” into the 1980s. Later popular successes had him singing the themes for TV’s “Mr. Beledevere” and “Harry and the Hendersons,” along with contributing a duet of “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” with Zooey Deschanel to the soundtrack of “Elf,” for which he also voiced the animated character of Leon the Snowman.
    You can read the rest here:
    https://variety.com/2019/music/news/...69-1203229012/
    Or check out his website: https://www.leonredbone.com/news

R.I.P. Leon Redbone.