Page 102 of 243 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 3638

Thread: In Memoriam

Invincible Member

I just woke up and read about Kenny Rogers. When I was younger he was one of my mom's favorites.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Just saw it on Twitter. I really liked him and his music back in the day. RIP
    I remember seeing him for the first time on his variety show Rollin' on the River back in the early '70s, as well as an old commercial from around that time that featured his testimonial for a guitar instructional program. Of course, by the time Lucille and Coward of the County were hits, I was a fan (though Lady is still dreck ).

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Stuart Whitman also passed away recently. Many westerns plus played "Pa Kent" on SUPERBOY.
    Always liked him, but my favorite role of his was from Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Kenny Rogers? WHAAAAAAAAAT? How sad!
    It is sad. I loved his music. My mom was a fan and we listened to it together. I remember being five and hearing her play her old 45s. It mad her so happy.
    Last edited by babyblob; 03-21-2020 at 05:56 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

My Mom was so sad when she heard about Kenny Rogers. We both enjoyed his talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I remember him mostly for being the announcer on the Carol Burnett show. He really hadn't done much acting at that point but eventually they worked him into some of their sketches.

This one was one of my favorites, where he plays a prisoner and Harvey Korman and Tim Conway play German soldiers interrogating him. Of course, they were doing this in front of a live audience so the crack up quite a bit.

The one thing I remember from watching clips is that Harvey Korman wasn't at his best trying to play the straight man - but he was a genius playing a ham.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Kenny Rogers? WHAAAAAAAAAT? How sad!
    My wife and I felt the same way when we heard that news.

Some of his songs are etched into the memories of my younger years. Sadness.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Loved his duets with Dolly Parton.

We are sure losing a lot of people in entertainment and related fields lately.

We have lost a giant: Albert Uderzo. Together with René Goscinny he created Asterix.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    We have lost a giant: Albert Uderzo. Together with René Goscinny he created Asterix.
    A true legend.

And another legend: Cameroonian jazz legend Manu Dibango died, actually of Covid-19.

The man deserves a photo:

I can't even remember how young I was when I was introduced to Asterix. Probably saw the covers as a toddler, as both my parents used to read the comics.

Albert Uderzo was well-known for Asterix but drew many comic books of Tanguy & Laverdure, in quite a realistic way.
    It shows the extent of his talent:

“Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Filmmaker Stuart Gordon, who directed (and often wrote) genre classics like "Re-Animator", "From Beyond", "Robot Jox", "Fortress", "Space Truckers", and "Dagon", and shares story credit on "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids", has passed away at the age of 72.

Harlem Globetrotter Fred "Curly" Neal passed away at 77.

https://hbcugameday.com/2020/03/26/h...l-passes-away/

Last edited by Scott Taylor; 03-26-2020 at 12:57 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I remember seeing him in a couple of games along with Meadowlark Lemon. I think years ago they sometimes showed them on ABC's Wide World of Sports. Great athlete and a great entertainer