Page 147 of 240 FirstFirst ... 4797137143144145146147148149150151157197 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,205 of 3596

Thread: In Memoriam

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Really? How sad.
    Yeah, time flies way too fast sometimes. It seems like it wasn't so long ago I used to watch him on the Today Show. Yet I'm sure that it has been a while.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

RIP early ronald mcdonald.

I was hoping someone would be able to have wished him a happy 100th birthday, but life doesn't always work out that way.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member

In addition to being the first Ronald McDonald (on local TV commercials in Washington; McDonalds then hired someone else to take the character nationally), Willard Scott co-hosted an afternoon program in which the Muppets were part of the cast, making their TV debut. (Jim Henson was then a college student at the nearby University of Maryland.)

I wish there was some video showing Willard and the Muppets from those early years, but at least they did keep in touch in their later careers. Here he is with Jim Henson's widow, when she donated the original Kermit and his pals to the Smithsonian.

Last edited by seismic-2; 09-04-2021 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    In addition to being the first Ronald McDonald (on local TV commercials in Washington; McDonalds then hired someone else to take the character nationally), Willard Scott co-hosted an afternoon program in which the Muppets were part of the cast, making their TV debut. (Jim Henson was then a college student at the nearby University of Maryland.)

I wish there was some video showing Willard and the Muppets from those early years, but at least they did keep in touch in their later careers. Here he is with Jim Henson's widow, when she donated the original Kermit and his pals to the Smithsonian.

That pic is all kinds of awesome!
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Actor Michael K. Williams, 54. (Omar on The Wire, Chalky White on Boardwalk Empire, Montrose Freeman on Lovecraft Country.)

https://nypost.com/2021/09/06/actor-...nyc-apartment/

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    One of my favorite stand-ups all-time, I became a fan of his from his numerous Comedy Central appearances back in the early '90s.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Just heard the news. How sad.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

What a unique talent for comedy. Sad to read that he was quietly battling cancer for 9 years. RIP

Extraordinary Member

He was screamingly funny, and evidently very brave as well, to privately battle that monster for 9 years. RIP to the best Burt Reynolds called Turd Ferguson.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    He was screamingly funny, and evidently very brave as well, to privately battle that monster for 9 years. RIP to the best Burt Reynolds called Turd Ferguson.
    Just like Chadwick Boseman, McDonald kept the news about his cancer battle a secret from the world.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

R.I.P. actress Jane Powell.
    Golden Age Hollywood Actress Jane Powell Dies at 92
    The actress was known for starring in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and opposite Fred Astaire in Royal Wedding.

September 16, 2021 09:57 PM

Jane Powell, an actress during the Golden Age of Hollywood, has died. She was 92.
    Powell died at her home in Wilton, Connecticut, on Thursday, her friend Susan Granger told the New York Times and the Associated Press.
    The actress, whose real name is Suzanne Lorraine Burce, shot to stardom after being cast in musicals in her teens and twenties.
    https://people.com/movies/seven-brid...ll-dies-at-92/

Aside from her movie roles, some may recall her from the TV show Growing Pains where she played Alan Thicke's mother.

R.I.P. Melvin Van Peebles.
    A Giant Of Black Cinema, Melvin Van Peebles Dies At 89
    Updated September 22, 2021·7:33 PM ET
    Influential director Melvin Van Peebles died on Tuesday night at home in Manhattan. The 89-year-old director was best known for his independent films Watermelon Man (1970) and Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (1971).

He was also the father of Mario Van Peebles, with whom he wrote and directed the movie Panther in 1995. The elder Van Peebles told NPR that year he considered that film a history lesson for kids too young to remember the Panthers' community activism.

"But more than a history lesson, because history can tell a lot of stories," he said. "This history lesson also encourages the young people to be active."

Melvin Van Peebles inspired a generation of young filmmakers to be active. His early movies were shot on tiny budgets — and shot through with provocative, politically charged humor. He played the main role in Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song, but gave himself barely any lines. He was playing with stereotypes, he told NPR in 2008, and standing them on their heads. And he defended his decision to cast his then-young son in a role that required a sex scene with an adult woman. "Business is business," he told NPR's Michel Martin. "What the heck? Didn't seem to harm or hurt him a bit."
    You can read the rest here: https://people.com/movies/seven-brid...ll-dies-at-92/
    https://www.npr.org/2021/09/22/10398...les-dies-at-89

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel