Page 241 of 243 FirstFirst ... 141191231237238239240241242243 LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,615 of 3638

Thread: In Memoriam

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/s...84625872515479

Actor Chance Perdomo (Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Gen V) has sadly passed away at the age of 27 in a motorcycle accident.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

Actor Chance Perdomo (Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Gen V) has sadly passed away at the age of 27 in a motorcycle accident.
    Jeeeeeeezus!

I have no words.

May he rest in peace.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

Damn, that's far too young. I recall him from Sabrina, he was quite good. Such a tragedy. RIP to him.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Apparently, comic book artist Mark "M.D." Bright has passed away at age 68. He did great work for Marvel and DC and was one of THE Milestone artists, doing the majority of Icon issues.

https://www.cbr.com/mark-md-bright-d...oody-obituary/

Extraordinary Member

Ah hell, another one of my favorites, Joe Flaherty has died at 82 according to his daughter after an illness. RIP to him, and sympathies to his family and friends. Count Floyd was an SCTV star, and his bits there were so funny. 3D House of Slave Chicks...
    Last edited by achilles; 04-02-2024 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Apparently, comic book artist Mark "M.D." Bright has passed away at age 68. He did great work for Marvel and DC and was one of THE Milestone artists, doing the majority of Icon issues.

https://www.cbr.com/mark-md-bright-d...oody-obituary/
    That is sad. I didn't know he was that old, but he started in the early 80s.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    That is sad. I didn't know he was that old, but he started in the early 80s.
    Sad indeed. I’ll always remember his work on Iron Man, especially during the “Armor Wars” saga.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Trailblazing Comics Icon Trina Robbins Dies At Age 85

Trina Robbins, a groundbreaking cartoonist who expanded the visibility of women in comics through her art, writing, scholarship and advocacy over a career that spanned more than six decades, died today at age 85 following a stroke that left her hospitalized earlier this year.

Robbins, who was inducted into the Will Eisner Comics Hall of Fame in 2013, was originally active in comics and science fiction fandom, then became one of the first women in the underground comix movement in the 1960s. Her unapologetically feminist take on politics and pop culture stood out among peers like Robert Crumb and S. Clay Wilson, and the experience left her a lifelong critic of the “boys club” misogyny she perceived in such work.

Prior to her work in comics, Robbins achieved early success as a boutique owner in New York’s East Village in the 1960s, helping to codify the counterculture aesthetic with designs for figures like Donovan, Mama Cass and David Crosby. In 1969, she designed the iconic costume for the horror-fantasy heroine Vampirella.

Relocating from New York to the Bay Area in 1970, she spearheaded the first all-women comic book, It Ain’t Me, Babe with collaborator Willy Mendes, and later produced the first explicitly lesbian-themed comic story, “Sandy Comes Out,” in Wimmen’s Comix #1. She also became a fixture in the West Coast cultural scene of the time, and is name-checked in the Joni Mitchell song “Ladies of the Canyon.”

“Trina was a very supportive colleague and friend, ever since my work first appeared in Wimmen’s Comix in the mid-1970s,” said cartoonist Roberta Gregory. “I couldn’t help but be inspired by her artistry, drive and energy, and her tireless passion to bring visibility to deserving women, past and present. Although she leaves an enormous legacy of work, personally she will be missed by so many; no convention nor trip to her San Francisco hometown was complete without a visit and pep talk from Trina!”

Robbins continued to work as an artist and writer of comics, producing a stylish adaptation of Sax Rohmer’s Dope among other projects, and worked with publishers like DC, Marvel and Eclipse to create work that would appeal to girls and young women. In 1986, she became the first woman artist to draw Wonder Woman in her own comic book.

In 2017, Robbins collaborated with an assortment of contemporary cartoonists on A Minyen Yidn: A Bunch of Jewish Stuff, adapting some of the old folk tales told to her by her father, Max Perlman. She also found time to write books for children, translate romance manga, and contribute to various projects and fundraisers aligned with her interests, most recently Won’t Back Down, an anthology to benefit Planned Parenthood.

Along with her creative career, Robbins began to branch out as a scholar and historian of the medium, producing a series of books shedding light on the underreported history of women in comics. Her work includes Women and the Comics, A Century of Women Cartoonists, The Great Women Superheroes, From Girls to Grrrlz: A History of Women’s Comics from Teens to Zines, and more recent works focusing on the female cartoonists of the 1920s, 30s and 40s.

One of her most consequential legacies is her impact on the rising generation of scholars influenced by her feminist approach to comics studies. “Everyone knows Trina changed comics in big ways,” said Sydney Heifler, a comic book historian and doctoral candidate at Ohio State University who worked with and befriended Robbins in recent years. “She also made sure to put women cartoonists and comics artists and women’s comics in the history books, which I’m forever grateful for. As a historian, her herstory work has been invaluable to me. She was always an incredible friend and mentor to me in comics and I have many opportunities thanks to her. She changed my life. I know she’s done the same for others.”
    More at link.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Aww! How sad. I loved her work.

Invincible Member

RIP Trina

Just got an alert that O.J. passed away yesterday at 76.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Just got an alert that O.J. passed away yesterday at 76.
    He's gone to his final judgment.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    He's gone to his final judgment.
    Yeah, and it shouldn't have been that way. O.J. was one of the best running backs in NFL history, then enjoyed a second career after football as an actor and TV pitchman, but, to most people, he'll be forever remembered for allegedly having murdered his wife Nicole and her friend Ronald Goodman.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Yeah, and it shouldn't have been that way. O.J. was one of the best running backs in NFL history, then enjoyed a second career after football as an actor and TV pitchman, but, to most people, he'll be forever remembered for allegedly having murdered his wife Nicole and her friend Ronald Goodman.
    Sorry, no allegedly. He did it. Anyone who watched the trial and could think rationally could see he did it. And he was found culpable in the Civil Trial. He killed two people and should be remembered for that first.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!